Is Voom worth it?

digideal

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Hey there peeps. I am debating between the Dish Network "Value Pack" with the HD package, HBO/Cinemax, Playboy and the 811 HD-DVR VS: VaVaVoom. It's roughly the same price (Voom is $10 more after leasing the equipment).

A lot of you have both D* and V*, so...is Voom worth it? I was at CES and saw the hype for Voom. I also saw the truck that D* had with the plethora of HD programming they are wanting to roll out this year.

For users of both, please provide an experience of each and what someone new to the satelite world should do. Thanks in advance!

Get both... j/k But if you can do so.

I have Directv also just SD tho no HD

I've been subscribed for a week and all I have to say is that the HD is the best and that I've seen VOOM make some progress in just one week.

New shows, new channels, etc...

One thing you have to understand about VOOM is that its fairly new and still in the works.

Channels are added all the time (we just got Bravo HD among others)

So basically what I'm saying is that VOOM will be the way to go but you must give it a chance to progress. You'll see in the long wrong that VOOM will come out on top.

Hope this helps.

I've been a Directv customer for about 7 years now, and I have always had good service provided by them. after purchasing my HDTV last year, and experiencing some OTA HD goodness, I decided to give Directv's HD programming a run, and was very pleased. HDnet, ESPNHD, HBOHD, SHOWHD, and DiscHD have all been great thru Directv. I found myself watching less and less of SD programming as it was becoming a strain on the eyes. Let's face it, it's just plain ugly! After some time though, watching the same programming that seemed to loop thru those channels day after day, and the lack of HD programming on ESPN started to bother me. I wanted more. So then I gave my local cable company a call, and got my locals, and INHD1, and 2 thru them in HD. This satisfied my hunger for HD for a time, but then just recently, I began to grow restless yet again... again I wanted more! No..NO...I NEEDED MORE!!! So in my quest to find more HD, I came upon this site. I lurked here for a bit, Just viewing and salivating over all the HD greatness I was hearing about, with this new start up satellite service. So I went ahead and called this company for an install. Well, they came out put it together, gave me the remote, and I was off. From that exciting moment I was hooked! Just pushing that channel button forward, and seeing channel after channel of HD content, I had the biggest smile on my face, like a little kid in a candy store, and I am still smiling! Now you ask if Voom is worth it? Fair enough, but I ask you this... do you have an HDTV? Do you want the most HD programming you can get? Do you want to push that channel button on the remote, and find channel after channel of HD goodness? Do you want to smile, every time you turn on that HDTV? If that is the case my friend then call 1-800-get-voom and really enjoy that HDTV!

WOW...

You sound just like the guys on INSIDE VOOM!

Maybe you should get up on that VOOM job offfer that Sean posted. =)

I guess i should have mentioned that I do have HD right now through comcast (shudder). I find myself only watching the HD and the rest of the $75 a month goes to waste. So that's where Voom seems appealing to me. But without the DVR...that's the killer, I Want TiVo! (or, Gene, I neeeeeeed tivo!) Any suggestions from the gallery?

digideal said:
I guess i should have mentioned that I do have HD right now through comcast (shudder). I find myself only watching the HD and the rest of the $75 a month goes to waste. So that's where Voom seems appealing to me. But without the DVR...that's the killer, I Want TiVo! (or, Gene, I neeeeeeed tivo!) Any suggestions from the gallery?

I too only have Comcast right now for INHD1, and 2. To be quite honest If I could only choose one service right now, I would go with Voom all the way! Especially if you find yourself, ( like me) watching mainly HD content. You can't go wrong with VOOM then! I'm not too sure on the future of Tivo, or DVR with Voom, recording the programming hasn't been a big issue for me personally, and I have never really looked into it. But like the poster above mentioned, if you really need something now, maybe take his advice and get ReplayTv?

To be more specific... with Replay and a freeware software called WiRNS, plus an account with Zap2It (free) you can propagate Voom guide data to your Replay. If you can get the IRBlaster to change the Voom channel, you're set. And from preliminary reports you should be able to. Alternatively, once Voom gets their internal scheduler working right, that could also change the channel for you. You will just record off the SVideo port, which will still look really good on an SD TV.