Is WinXP done after January 2008?

Since I value my rights as a consumer I will NEVER "upgrade" to DRM Vista. I'll go linux before I'll ever use Vista.

I told my wife that Vista would be the reason that she ends up on some form of Linux or BSD within the next few years.

I'd love to move to winXP x64 edition to do a few things, but there is no version of Real Player working with any of the x64 editions of Windows and believe it or not, that is a mandatory program for me to have as it's the only way to backdoor into the BBC to listen to football matches that are otherwise blacked out in the US.

And I ain't livin' without my footy.

Since there are working versions of Real Player for all of the major Linux and BSD distros, it's just a slow matter of time before she's running Ubuntu or something like that.

That Bill Gates, the RIAA and the Hollywood Studios are the best thing that ever happened to Linux.

Since I value my rights as a consumer I will NEVER "upgrade" to DRM Vista. I'll go linux before I'll ever use Vista.

kinda curious... as a Vista user, I really don't see any drm problems. What DRM is supposed to be in effect? And just so ya know, I backup/rip all of my DVD's, Xbox games, music cd's ect... so I can put the disks away and play the .iso's. And it works flawlessly under Vista.

kinda curious... as a Vista user, I really don't see any drm problems. What DRM is supposed to be in effect? And just so ya know, I backup/rip all of my DVD's, Xbox games, music cd's ect... so I can put the disks away and play the .iso's. And it works flawlessly under Vista.

If Microsoft switches on full DRM enforcement your Vista machine will act very differently.

They don't do it yet so everyone will keep buying the product.

Matt

No I think XP will be supported until at least the end of 2008 and around February of 08 Vista SP1 will be out and SP3 for XP. From what I have read and heard SP3 will be the last service pack for XP so I see XP being supported for another year or so. After that it will be Vista which I have run without issues and I think SP1 will improve somethings. So Vista is the future and word has it that Windows 7 will be out sometime in 09 or 2010 which is post to be another OS version of Windows. So Vista will be the main OS and Windows 7 if it comes out but the main thing I would like too see is XP support Direct X 10. Dont know if they will but I plan on building a new PC sometime next year and I will get on Vista Ultimate. I run Vista on my laptop with no issues but still on XP for my PC.

If Microsoft switches on full DRM enforcement your Vista machine will act very differently.

They don't do it yet so everyone will keep buying the product.

Matt

Not really worried... how much of this wonderful drm has lasted long against the hacking community. None of it.

I am worried that MS will break lots of stuff in SP3 to encourage everyone to switch to Vista.

Not ready for Vista and I will shut down my auto updates before the release of SP3. It is rumored that MS will include the DRM survey in XP SP3 so beware. They do plan on using it. Your computers will be in constant communication with MS super server monitoring everything you do with these watchdog blackhawks.

MS Vista has been the biggest reason why Macs have taken off this past year. However, Macs are also tightly controlled by Apple so Linux may be our salvation. With that we pro users just need verification the software aps will work right.

Not really worried... how much of this wonderful drm has lasted long against the hacking community. None of it.

You sound like you have something to hide. I don't but I'm concerned of the impact it will have on my computer performance sucking up prioritized bandwidth and cpu cycles, ram etc. I need that for my productivity. Not so Big Brother can be nosing around my terrabytes of data. Divorak clamis this will impact media content producers most while people with 60Gb hard drives will hardly notice.

But even you won't like it if you try to load a spreadsheet or MP3 file and first your antivirus pops up and says please wait while your file gets scanned, then another popup says please connect to the internet to see if your mp3 file is rightfully yours to play. So you connect to play the file on your hard drive and you get a message, your computer contains software we do not see you as a registered user, Vista will now shut down. Please contact the vender for a proper license. Fact is you have a license but the system screwed up. DRM will annoy us all with this nonsense rendering computers back to the days of a slide rule for speed.

Recall Macrovision? That stuff annoyed more innocent users than it ever stopped pirates. DRM is a flawed concept that could work but not the way they are implementing it.

I am worried that MS will break lots of stuff in SP3 to encourage everyone to switch to Vista.

Not ready for Vista and I will shut down my auto updates before the release of SP3. It is rumored that MS will include the DRM survey in XP SP3 so beware. They do plan on using it. Your computers will be in constant communication with MS super server monitoring everything you do with these watchdog blackhawks.

MS Vista has been the biggest reason why Macs have taken off this past year. However, Macs are also tightly controlled by Apple so Linux may be our salvation. With that we pro users just need verification the software aps will work right.

SP3 will be fine for XP their just adding some new security features so forth so dont worry about it being a issue. XP is rock solid so you should be fine when it comes out. Vista is fine as well their somethings that its slow loading sometimes like printer drivers but overall folks are making more out of this than what really is there. Macs are ok but still behind on what they can do and more Macs are having to use more PC type hardware due they are falling behind. Heck the Mac OS has been tested and from what I heard Mac OS runs faster on a PC than it does on a Mac. Most of the major software programs will run on Vista fine. But if you can wait then when SP1 comes out for Vista they will start shipping it with Vista will save you from needing to DL it on its own.

Overall folks should not be worried about Vista just try not to load it on a 4-5 year old machine like many people do with software. Software will only run as good as the machine you load it on so make sure your machine always up to snuff. If not wait until you can upgrade and stay with XP which runs fine on machines that old due to its that old has well. So dont get wrap up in all the BS about Vista or allot of other things when it comes to PC's. Most sites just put their 2 cents and are clueless when it comes down to the tech stuff or they dont tell you everything they did to their machine for them to have the problems their having. Most of the time its not the PC fault it's User Error most of the time.. :)

You sound like you have something to hide. I don't but I'm concerned of the impact it will have on my computer performance sucking up prioritized bandwidth and cpu cycles, ram etc. I need that for my productivity. Not so Big Brother can be nosing around my terrabytes of data. Divorak clamis this will impact media content producers most while people with 60Gb hard drives will hardly notice.

But even you won't like it if you try to load a spreadsheet or MP3 file and first your antivirus pops up and says please wait while your file gets scanned, then another popup says please connect to the internet to see if your mp3 file is rightfully yours to play. So you connect to play the file on your hard drive and you get a message, your computer contains software we do not see you as a registered user, Vista will now shut down. Please contact the vender for a proper license. Fact is you have a license but the system screwed up. DRM will annoy us all with this nonsense rendering computers back to the days of a slide rule for speed.

Recall Macrovision? That stuff annoyed more innocent users than it ever stopped pirates. DRM is a flawed concept that could work but not the way they are implementing it.

I have nothing to hide, but I do believe in Fair Use
First thing I do when I buy a dvd is take it out of the case, put it in the dvd drive and rip it. Then I transfer it over to my NAS, and from there on out, if I want to watch it, I stream it to my xbox. I put the dvd back in the case, put it on the shelf, and I never have to worry about it getting scratched, broken, ect.
Same with cds. I rip them, then stream them to the xbox so I can listen to them anywhere in the house without having to get out cds and worry about them gettings scratched.
I own ALL of the dvd's, cd's, and games i have ever ripped.

What burns me the most about MS OSs is that every next gen upgrade won't support any of the stuff I already own printers,video cards etc.

Feels like a big money machine and patched drivers don't work correctly.

I use XP for work, My favorite OS is a patched version of Win 98se on a fast machine. It's only my favorite cause I really understand how it works "I can tweak it easily" and it runs very fast.

Matt

I wouldn't agree with that at all. My Vista machine is just as stable as any other machine I have, now. The first couple months were rough, but they seem to have smoothed some stuff out.

The only complaint I have, is that it is hard to install Wildblue with Vista... I still dual-boot XP for that.

I've had no problems installing Wildblue with vista.

Apple does have tight standards for Macs, but they're pretty good on privacy, and aren't going the big-brother, micromanaging route that Microsoft is. Apple isn't interested n spying on you like Microsoft is.

Don, you sound like you are perilously close to uttering that extremely naieve and unbeleiveably disturbing axiom of ignorance "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." Whenever I hear someone say that I shake my head in disbelief, and am at the same time extremely saddened that we've fallen far enough from the time of the founding that some people can actually say that with a straight face.

Apple's commercials are particularly biting now. After 10 months, Vista is still only on 4% of installed machines (based on a website that tracks internet traffic).

Do we have another Windows ME here? Due to be replaced as quickly as possible?

4% of what machines? Maybe corporations that can control releases. Every computer sold on the consumer side has vista now, and I do not see the average consumer figuring out how to get and XP downgrade from their Vista license and reinstalling their machine.

With the 1 year anniversary of Vista coming up, one would estimate that about 20% of computers will have vista on them in the consumer sector. Corporations would be a different story.

I tried to install Vista once on my home PC. I bought a new hard drive for this very purpose.

I have a custom built Athlon64 2800+ with 2.5GB of RAM. It took nearly 3 hours just to install Vista, and it was painfully slow, very unlike my 3 year old install of XP. I won't use Vista at all.

Got to remember: On some of those new machines that come with Vista installed, there is no XP driver for the motherboard. People are making good money refitting Vista machines with XP.

Vista- A Windows too far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)