Isn't it a bit odd that to "sling" to a ROKU ....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
(and I know this is OLD HAT to some, but to me, I had hopes....)

one has to use one's (smart) phone?
The idea of "sling" to another part of my house where a roku sits is GREAT.
The idea of having to use a phone app to make it happen is nothing short of clunky.
Unless I missed something, this is the only way for the ROKU app for slingbox to work.

Did I miss something here?

"Slinging"Seems to work fine going directly to my laptop on the "same" network...why couldn't rokus work that simply?

The stream from the Slingbox directly is not compatible with the Roku. The Smartphone takes the stream from the Slingbox and converts it to a format that is usable to the Roku and sends it to the Roku.

figured that's what it was....still clunky, odd....Thanks, Scott. I'm "late" to this part of the "sling-thing"...and probably not
going to end up using it. Really don't "need" sling...but it sure worked nicely in test-setup yesterday! (via laptop..and setup even for an older box was a breeze!)
If I don't use the box, will probably put it on our classifieds.....still useful for SD and those with the component-out stuff.

You are not out enough nor do you carry a smart phone... and in your town there is no over the air broadband which makes using Sling on the go hard. :)

For me I use my Slingboxes daily. (I have 6 of them) and it allows me to check things from almost anywhere just like I am at home. I don't really use them much to "watch tv" but for testing things.

Agreed! When (someday)...it lets me "sling" to rokus without phone, it'll be a neat feature, (if ever.)
In the meantime, wireless links from the living room to other parts of the (studio) apartment are what I use for TV from FTA.
Would be nice to simplify, simplify, simplify....but, not out much for owning this used slingbox. It'll find a new owner. Not a "new" model, but works well.
Was impressed with the quality of SD from a MicroHD (Free to air satellite receiver for our non-satellite readers of this part of the forum) on it! Either the microHD has GREAT SD, or...the slingbox hides some sins, but it looked GREAT on the web!

It is clunky, however with some devices you can sling it you can use the phone (or tablet) for other things. (both my phone and tablet allow me to use anything else at the same time, similar to the Chromecast)
I too use the Slingbox very often both at home and mobile. The WD Live player app is overall excellent works with it's remote, and is just like using the slingplayer. Commands are a little slow but if you give several at once they all get done at one time. (For instance, stop, right, down, delete would all happen quickly once the first command is started) My wife likes to see the local Ct news when we are in Fl and because of how the WD Player allows for set-up, I have the sling app start upon turning on the WD player, and the APP starts the Ct slingbox automatically. Really makes watching close to a satellite or cable experience right down to the remote control use.

Last edited:
Hi. I am new to the Slingbox world and am getting a 500 and a wd tv live for remote viewing. I am very interested in any additional info on auto starting the Slingbox from the wd tv. Thanx

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have the WD TV Live with the Slingplayer App. I have used it for the past year or so. It works well. The picture quality is decent. I am streaming from a Slingbox Solo and a Pro HD. I mostly use it for streaming the Phillies and Flyers games I can't get with Satellite (Philly Customer).

I also recently purchased a Roku 3. The original poster was correct. It is a pain to stream from my Iphone. The service is cut off if you get a phone call while streaming. You then have to log in again.

The Roku App is free but you can't use it without buying the Iphone Slingplayer App. If you go with the WD TV Live you will need to purchase the app from Sling. Hope this helps.

I have the WD TV Live with the Slingplayer App. I have used it for the past year or so. It works well. The picture quality is decent. I am streaming from a Slingbox Solo and a Pro HD. I mostly use it for streaming the Phillies and Flyers games I can't get with Satellite (Philly Customer).

I also recently purchased a Roku 3. The original poster was correct. It is a pain to stream from my Iphone. The service is cut off if you get a phone call while streaming. You then have to log in again.

The Roku App is free but you can't use it without buying the Iphone Slingplayer App. If you go with the WD TV Live you will need to purchase the app from Sling. Hope this helps.

You don't have to purchase any app to use it with the WDTV Live. It is built into the WDTV boxes as part of the software and comes with the purchase of the WDTV box.

You are probably right about it being free for the WD TV Live. I purchased mine back at the end of 2012. Been a while. It still works well.

Just finished setting up a slingbox to wd live tv for tech impaired friends. Fiber optic on both ends. They would be lost if they had to add a computer in between.

Going to add a harmony remote so they have less buttons to push.

Quality on the big screen is supurb.

Sent using SatelliteGuys Android App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts