Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
IMG_1476028701.807003.jpg
Boondock camping in the high Sierras this weekend at 7000' and enjoying a few minutes of the Sunday news shows on the BUD via Slingbox. Watched the East coast feed of SNL before turning in last night on the flatscreen powered by 12v storage batteries and charged by a 200w solar system.

We live in an awesome time where we can have so many conveniences including full control of our satellite dishes and watching FTA no matter where we are in the world! :)

IMG_1476028757.723225.jpg

Switch satellites, scan, program, edit.... Love it!

Now out to ride the mining roads! :)

LOL guys...

Usually we read a book after a day of hiking or riding the trails. :) Rarely watch TV, but have Kodi loaded on a Pi2 and take a USB filled with the music library, movies and recent TV shows. If we can get OTA or cell data I like to watch the news and usually try to find a spot with cell coverage within hiking distance to camp for checking in on support questions etc. Nice to have cell data as the company phones are IP and we can be open for business while chillin' in the hills!

This spot had was miles from nowhere, but 3 bars of 4g inside the RV as we were line of sight across the canyons to the I-80 cell towers. Usually have to touch my nose with one finger and hop around on one foot to get signal in camp. I'm toying with an idea to tether a small helium balloon (or drone) for an emergency cellular hotspot in case we are stuck in camp. Some folks have been snowed in for a week or more in the back country. Always carry shovels, chains for all four, winch, tackle, cables.

Yep, the idea is to get away, but we often get to leave sooner, stay away longer and enjoy roughing it with a few more comforts... just mix in a little bit of technology! :D

Attachments

• Google_Map_Robinson Flat.jpg
    Google_Map_Robinson Flat.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4939[1].JPG
    IMG_4939[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 225
Reactions: Hockeynut
Always nice to get away from work and do something completely different... Can't beat heading out to the back country and roughing it for a week or two, even if roughing it is to a nice camping spot with all the amenities! :) Nothing better than building a campfire and popping a few 807's (ham talk) while gazing at the stars.

Reactions: Titanium
I had a similar experience this weekend. I stayed 3 blocks from Parliament Hill in our Nations Capital city. (Ottawa) While not quite roughing it as much as you, after all I had valet parking, I was able to log into my TiVo from the hotel to check on my recordings and timers. Just got home a couple of hours ago after a long drive.

.....We don't have lions and tigers... Only have mountain lions, cougars, black bears, coyotes and rattle snakes!
Of all the vacation trips I made to the Southwest between 2001 and 2008 on all those different hiking trails I only ran into one "wild animal." That was a pesky chipmunk that wanted everything in my pack. I've been told the mountain lions were probably peeking over a big rock watching me walk past.:eeek
It is too bad the 2008 recession put a stop to all that fun.......

Lin purchased an electronic bear repellant device. Not sure if I want to hang around to see if it is effective! Camp with a 9mm and 12g to discourage four and two legged wild animals... :D. Hope we never have to defend against either. Unless there is something really wrong or you get between a mom and cubs, there is little chance of dangerous encounters.

Like dispersed camping as there are rarely neighbors and no fees other than the annual campfire permit, a tank of fuel, a few gallons of propane and food food food! The Sierras provide almost unlimited camping opportunities. When the winter snow arrives, plenty of lower elevation locations or head over for the ocean beaches 2 hours away.

The recession was not kind! Sorry that it impacted your travel opportunities! :(

Last edited:
The only tech my wife and I may use while camping would be a phone to check the weather radar (some storms pop up pretty quickly on the Colorado Plateau). No need for all that other stuff. Still, it'd be nice to be able to watch my OTA/FTA from anywhere on my phone...

Brian we got lucky getting the MicroHD supported on the Slingbox.

It was just luck being on the elevator with the then head of Sling and me thinking real quick asking if we could could add support for a receiver and getting a yes.

Now no one from Sling that I knew is there. And I know others they if to get their receivers supported by the Slingbox without success.

That was a lucky elevator ride. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
What sling box do you favor? My wife needs her NFL when shes out and about.
I bought a 'SlingBox Pro' (SB200-100) many years ago and really like it. I don't use it with my cell phone, but its great for connecting to my TiVo and Pace Cable box when I am upstairs in my office.

Never connected to it from remote areas, but I have tried it from hotels while on trips.

Sometimes my wife doesn't know I'm connected to the Slingbox upstairs in the office and changes channels on me downstairs. Or, even more fun, I skip around or change settings when she's watching TV and doesn't know I'm upstairs running the Slingbox app on my computer. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts