Issue with External Hard Drive and Moxi DVR

jbohanon

Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
St Louis
I've recently had some problems with the external hard drive that I've hooked up to my Moxi DVR box which I use through Charter. It's a 500GB MyBook Essential Edition, just over a year old.

Earlier this week, any program I tried to view that was saved onto the hard drive was pausing every few seconds when I tried to watch it. I tried disconnecting the drive using the menu option. It froze up when I did that, so I did a manual reset via the button on the front of the box. It rebooted and the drive refused to show up. I tried unplugging it, plugging it back it, turning off the power, and I rebooted the box several times. A few times I would get a message. One of them said that the external drive was not supported by Digeo. Another one gave the message that the drive needed to be formatted to use with Moxi. I plugged in another external drive that I have and it quickly recognized it, so I'm pretty sure it's not the Moxi box. I called Charter and they sent the signal to reset my box and went to bed. In the morning it was working again.

Tonight the same actions started happening again. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to purchase a new HD, but I still have a lot on there that I want to watch. Does anyone have any clue how I can fix this? Is it possible that another overnight wait might start it running again? I'm wondering if the drive is doing some kind of self-diagnostic that takes forever because it's 500GB.

I would run some diagnostics on the drive, but when Moxi formats the drive it makes it so that you can't run the drive in a computer (or even format it) without running a command on a Linux machine.

I have a similar problem. The older of the two Western Digital My Book drives (500 MB) keeps causing the Moxi to display a message like "the external hard drive has been removed..." or "An external Hard drive has been connected and must be Formatted in order for it to work properly"

When I go into the Moxi's Settings menu and select External Hard Drive it prompts me to format the drive. When I do it within seconds it says the external drive was disconnected improperly.

If I connect the WD hard drive to my PC it says it installed the drivers, etc. properly but when I open My Computer it does not present me with a usable drive. Under the Other Drives section it does display three drives named "Local Disk (I:), Local Disk (J:) and Local Disk (K:) but each drive displays a "?" on it. When I double click one of these drives it says...
"K:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network , and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location"

So... I would love to first figure out if the Hard Drive is the cause (Dead or corrupt). And then I would like to know how to access or format this drive using either my computer (Win2000, XP or Vista) without too much pain.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts