Issues I'm having on my first day w/Voom

ChetK said:
Mr. Bell (vice chairman of Cablevision and Rainbow Media Enterprises CFO), it's an honor to have you in this thread. Thanks for viewing the forum and, above all, responding to our concerns!

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I think that many people are satisfied with DVD type quality or may not have really experienced with HD should look like. As a person who was in broadcasting for 30 years and in many post production houses, I guess I am fussy but that is what they should shoot for. Not a "B" picture but an A+. I hope the firmware upgrade and a software may answer most of it. I do worry about the change in the OTA I now have compared to my old STB. I agree, I am keeping that old box for now because you never know when you want to go back. I hope I can hold out. I would rather enjoy the programing than fuss about the PQ.

Mr. Bell and others here:

Maybe the problem is "some" STB's because for many of us- Voom has been great. What I mean by this is- I have no stutter in my picture while it's on one station. I have a trained eye and my HD is true HD. TNTHD has been great when it's is HD content like the Lakers VS TWolves. HBOHD and Discover HD is true 1080 and I am very happy with the picture. Rave looks like I am there.

I have a very high end Fujitsu Plasma and I do NOT use DVI as it has been problematic for me on both my plasma using a Sony SAT-HD200 with Directv.

I actually have a 20 foot component cable that is run through the wall. Why the heck is my picture so clear, crisp and clean? PQ is amazing, not just good. Since i had Voom installed in this month it makes it hard to watch DVD's, I lose so much PQ! and I have a high-end DVD player (Sony 9000ES).

I do think that any AV system will downgrade to it's weakest link. I did not have Voom run my cable. But if some many are having issue what do they all have in common? The STB. Voom does need to address this- perhaps by serial number as a start. This might help trace a faulty chip ot other STB problems.

I do see breakup while changing channels, as it seems most do. Sometimes while changing channels the screen will go black for up to ten seconds. Then the picture will pop on. I do think we are all in a beta phase with Voom. They aren't perfect but i went through the same thing with Dish.

I do would rather enjoy the programming rather complain.

Seawaves said:

Maybe the problem is "some" STB's because for many of us- Voom has been great. What I mean by this is- I have no stutter in my picture while it's on one station. I have a trained eye and my HD is true HD. TNTHD has been great when it's is HD content like the Lakers VS TWolves. HBOHD and Discover HD is true 1080 and I am very happy with the picture. Rave looks like I am there.

I have a very high end Fujitsu Plasma and I do NOT use DVI as it has been problematic for me on both my plasma using a Sony SAT-HD200 with Directv.

I actually have a 20 foot component cable that is run through the wall. Why the heck is my picture so clear, crisp and clean? PQ is amazing, not just good. Since i had Voom installed in this month it makes it hard to watch DVD's, I lose so much PQ! and I have a high-end DVD player (Sony 9000ES).

I do think that any AV system will downgrade to it's weakest link. I did not have Voom run my cable. But if some many are having issue what do they all have in common? The STB. Voom does need to address this- perhaps by serial number as a start. This might help trace a faulty chip ot other STB problems.

I do see breakup while changing channels, as it seems most do. Sometimes while changing channels the screen will go black for up to ten seconds. Then the picture will pop on. I do think we are all in a beta phase with Voom. They aren't perfect but i went through the same thing with Dish.

I do would rather enjoy the programming rather complain.

i would like to see voom fix their pq issues i would like that wow factor again :D

Seawaves said:

Have you ever compared it when connected with DVI like Ihave. DVI should be better. I was wondering if there is a problem with the luminance on DVI. Was wondering if anyone had made a comparison. perhaps some boxes work better with component.

WilliamBell said:
Every "complaint" or suggestion is taken very seriously a Voom. It's very difficult when some people experience a problem and many do not.

Thank you for your participation.

It's not a "problem" per se (except for the stutter). Voom does look good, but it's HD so of course it's supposed to look good. However, when people have another source to do direct comparison, many have said Voom's pq isn't as sharp and doesn't have the same wow factor they see on say Dish network. It could be just the viewers or their equipments, but too many people have reported it already. It could very well be Voom's fault -- overcompression, or the STB, or something else. I think Voom needs to study this issue and do its own comparison.

Gutter,

I have not done a comparsion with DVI using Voom. My installers (then me) tried the DVI with my Fujitsu PDS-4242 and the Sony SAT-HD200 and DVI would not work at all. HDCP was the culprit.

On my Fujitsu PDS-5004 and the Sony SAT-HD200, the DVI made the slightest difference, barely discernable.

So when my 20 foot run was done through the wall, we ran component (from bettercables.com-very nice quality) and the picture from Rupert on HDnet was very good. But not better than one of Voom's best channels.

The one place that i see any PQ drop off is on the SD channels. I know this is common from what i read here.

I sure don't want to anger all those that are having a problem with Voom but because I do believe my cup is always at least half full, I will live with the problems because i know they will get better. For me- the wow factor still exists. I've convinced 5 friends to sign up with Voom, so if things don't get better with Voom, I'll be out a lot of friends.

I do see a certain culture that exists here in these forums where some folks will hold Voom to a standard (namely Charlie and Rupert) that is not fair to Voom. Did any of these unhappy (some really unhappy) campers every get HD from Charlie or Rupert when they had one bird in the sky? Nope. Did they ever get thier OTA locals installed by those other guys? Nope. Did they ever have problems with those other SAT companies? Yes, they did.

As you can see from my other posts- I'm a staunch supporter of what Voom is doing. And no, I don't work for Voom. I'm just a guy with a TV who wants awesome HD. Thank you, Voom!

barth2k said:
Thank you for your participation.

It's not a "problem" per se (except for the stutter). Voom does look good, but it's HD so of course it's supposed to look good. However, when people have another source to do direct comparison, many have said Voom's pq isn't as sharp and doesn't have the same wow factor they see on say Dish network. It could be just the viewers or their equipments, but too many people have reported it already. It could very well be Voom's fault -- overcompression, or the STB, or something else. I think Voom needs to study this issue and do its own comparison.

well said ;)

Seawaves said:
Gutter,

Voom, so if things don't get better with Voom, I'll be out a lot of friends.

I do see a certain culture that exists here in these forums where some folks will hold Voom to a standard (namely Charlie and Rupert) that is not fair to Voom. Did any of these unhappy (some really unhappy) campers every get HD from Charlie or Rupert when they had one bird in the sky? Nope. Did they ever get thier OTA locals installed by those other guys? Nope. Did they ever have problems with those other SAT companies? Yes, they did.

As you can see from my other posts- I'm a staunch supporter of what Voom is doing. And no, I don't work for Voom. I'm just a guy with a TV who wants awesome HD. Thank you, Voom!

I am a sub for only 5 days now. I never had D or E. I had and have a 10ft. C-Band dish where the SD is always crisp and clear on my HDTV. Not HD quality but better than Voom currently puts out. I used a Sammy STB for my over the air and those channels had the Wow factor. I would give Voom a current grade of "B-" on pq quality compared to my ove the air HD.

It is my first opiniont that it is either in the DSR 550 box or the compression. Certainly would be interested in anyone who can pinpoint why it is not there. I am using DVI....as before. Perhaps I shoudl use component. Maybe the DVI on the DSR 550 for for sh**. Anyway I am interested in more expert opinion but I know what I see. Perhaps my box should be swapped out. My install was great and I will hold on looking forward to improved quality. I will still hold onto my sammy SIR T165.

gutter said:
I am a sub for only 5 days now. I never had D or E. I had and have a 10ft. C-Band dish where the SD is always crisp and clear on my HDTV. Not HD quality but better than Voom currently puts out. I used a Sammy STB for my over the air and those channels had the Wow factor. I would give Voom a current grade of "B-" on pq quality compared to my ove the air HD.

It is my first opiniont that it is either in the DSR 550 box or the compression. Certainly would be interested in anyone who can pinpoint why it is not there. I am using DVI....as before. Perhaps I shoudl use component. Maybe the DVI on the DSR 550 for for sh**. Anyway I am interested in more expert opinion but I know what I see. Perhaps my box should be swapped out. My install was great and I will hold on looking forward to improved quality. I will still hold onto my sammy SIR T165.

You are not alone, for sure. Many others have said the same thing, especially people who had D* before Voom.

I also think that the PQ w/ Voom needs to improve. It's certainly not as good as with my old Sony SATHD200. No question, at least for me anyway.

Some people may argue it's not the case, I just know what I see, and that is a picture which lacks in sharpness/color accuracy (and yes my set is ISF calibrated). I also see halos and I believe the receiver may be the culprit here.

I still hope that the next software update will improve things. It seems at least the "stutter" issue will be solved. Maybe PQ will improve as well. I really hope it does, because I enjoy the channel offerings with Voom. However, at the end of the day I will chose quality over quantity and may have to reevaluate during the next few month.

Scubasoul said:
However, at the end of the day I will chose quality over quantity and may have to reevaluate during the next few month.

We also very much agree on that. Also I noticed taht the "report" screen, that the phone; number is missing and that I had 14 unsuccessful attemps. WAs the the unit trying to call out or someone tring to call into it? there was a phone number there before I had to do a re-boot because of a lock up. Just wante to know if that is important.

gutter said:
We also very much agree on that. Also I noticed taht the "report" screen, that the phone; number is missing and that I had 14 unsuccessful attemps. WAs the the unit trying to call out or someone tring to call into it? there was a phone number there before I had to do a re-boot because of a lock up. Just wante to know if that is important.

I'm not sure gutter, other's may have more info on that one.

However, I would not worry about it at this time, as long as your box works.

There is talk that with the next software update a land based phone line will be required, so they may check things out, who knows. Again I would not worry about it at this time.

Scubasoul said:
However, I would not worry about it at this time, as long as your box works.

There is talk that with the next software update a land based phone line will be required, so they may check things out, who knows. Again I would not worry about it at this time.

Thanks very much. It is interesting that I spend more time on this forum than watching Voom. I can find what I want to watch but the damn PQ drives me nuts when I know what it should look like.

gutter said:
Thanks very much. It is interesting that I spend more time on this forum than watching Voom. I can find what I want to watch but the damn PQ drives me nuts when I know what it should look like.
You've got company from me in that regard.

Gutter,

I agree with you that the SD PQ i snot very good. I will say I got Voom for the HD, period.

I do think that the DVI on the Moto box may be another cause of problems.

On HD Directv vs HD Voom- I find to be Voom just as good but with more channels. But hey, I'm in for the long haul anyhow.

Seawaves. I expected the SD channels to be crappy and compressed because they are taking the downlick and re-uping to the bird compressed. I have a C-band system so I get most of the SD channles and know how they look as they are delivered to the cable systems and Voom. I do think the HD channels are about equal to a good DVD and they can be better. I agree, I think most of the problem is probably in the box. I have sent emails to tech support on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)