Issues Surrounding CUI Update

I had the H3 and it was garbage. I gave it a couple of months and...still crap. For the way i watch tv...16 Tuners that didnt work.... at least when i had the 722. Everything was good.
So much fun listening to my father in his 80,s cuss daily just trying to watch a baseball game as the H3 rebooted daily. Sometimes 2-3 times daily. Oh and all those generic thumbnails. If im paying for all the fancy crap, the fancy crap should work. The CUI is Garbage.
Dish used to be like having a voice (charlie chats) now its the same as the US Govt. (we know better Shut up)

Incidentally, despite insistence by many for using 3ghz RG6, the installer for my sister used the existing cable
Did the installer run new cable from the dish to the Hopper or are you referring to the inside wiring (room to room) ? I know that wiring from the Hopper to the clients can even get away with RG59 but for the dish to Hopper stuff, they (Dish) is pickier about it although even with it, not 100% about it. When we moved to our current home, the installer ran new cable from the dish, into the house through the basement, then back outside to into the Time Warner box on the opposite side of the house. From there, it tied into the 'inside' wiring. Now that I think about it, he (we) did run a new line to the Hopper as it was easy enough to do so.

Did the installer run new cable from the dish to the Hopper or are you referring to the inside wiring (room to room) ? I know that wiring from the Hopper to the clients can even get away with RG59 but for the dish to Hopper stuff, they (Dish) is pickier about it although even with it, not 100% about it. When we moved to our current home, the installer ran new cable from the dish, into the house through the basement, then back outside to into the Time Warner box on the opposite side of the house. From there, it tied into the 'inside' wiring. Now that I think about it, he (we) did run a new line to the Hopper as it was easy enough to do so.
They used the existing cable from the dish to the DVR since my sister was replacing her 722 with the H3 and the installer told her the existing cable would be fine. I was there for my father in law's installation and the installer just looked at the cable and said it would be fine even though we couldn't see any markings on it. It's been two days since these installations and neither has had any issues, no reboots or anything.
Incidentally, about 2 1/2 years ago when I upgraded from my 622 to the HWS, I used my existing cable which was marked for 2.25ghz so I expected no issues and had none.
That said, if I were rewiring for some reason I would of course use 3ghz rated cable but it's apparently mostly unnecessary, or at least it's worth a try installing the H3 and seeing if there's some cable issue before rewiring. I believe I can upgrade to the H3 using my existing cable with no problems, and with the annoying CUI, I might be upgrading sooner than later..

When I said "pickier" about it, they obviously don't enforce it 100%. I've read here that QA "auditors" will randomly check installations and even though yours works fine and may work fine for many, many years to come, they may still get dinged. No big deal though....

I'm having extreme difficulty setting manual timers on OTA subchannels without guide data. I create the timer, save it, but then it somehow changes dates and times randomly. As of right now, the manual timers are useless!

Yah the 722 didn't have 16 tuners. It had dual tuners that worked-Reliably. I could count on it actually working. For the first time since i had the H3 i have recordings split into two and even three separate recordings. I was on my third or was it fourth Dishplayer and i even had a RA number to return and exchange it but i thought "Whats the point?". So i just kept it and hoped for the best. For whatever reason that box ran like a tank for years 'til Dish gave me a free 722.
Remember when a person could put any size hard drive they wanted in their owned boxes? As crazy and buggy as the Dishplayers were, gimme them anyday over a receiver with the CUI.

Last edited:
And right now..... my receiver with the "new and working-really we got it" CUI freezes up once again. I had peace and quiet over a year with the old GUI. Maybe if Dish had given me TWO crappy H3's instead of sticking me with one per household i could have gotten by with the boxes crashing at different times of the day.

Reactions: pattykay
Last night, again, I finished watching a DVR'd program and went to delete it, but noticed just in time it had presented an entirely different program to be deleted. Had to exit and reselect the correct one to delete.

I just had the 'deleted recordings returning' bug last night.

So, while discussing this with my wife last night as we try to make a decision about whether to go with U-verse or Dish next, she reminded me that we used to have this problem on our original Hopper. I had totally forgotten, but she is right. Deleted recordings used to show back up occasionally, and it was impossible to delete them. Eventually, they went away. This sounds at least similar to what people are describing with the CUI, and it makes me wonder if it isn't a filesystem-related issue, especially if Dish really has gone away from the nightly reboot (and presumably the fsck that happened at that time).

So, while discussing this with my wife last night as we try to make a decision about whether to go with U-verse or Dish next, she reminded me that we used to have this problem on our original Hopper. I had totally forgotten, but she is right. Deleted recordings used to show back up occasionally, and it was impossible to delete them. Eventually, they went away. This sounds at least similar to what people are describing with the CUI, and it makes me wonder if it isn't a filesystem-related issue, especially if Dish really has gone away from the nightly reboot (and presumably the fsck that happened at that time).

Yup. Have had erasures and reappearance on both my HwS before and after the C(G)UI. BUT as far as my machines as concerned, the "nightly reboot" is still there. Got caught by one just last night. Now I have seen the Guide update in the middle of the afternoon as it took up one of my tuners. I was hoping that was a signal of no more nightly reboots. But . . . no.

...and it makes me wonder if it isn't a filesystem-related issue, especially if Dish really has gone away from the nightly reboot (and presumably the fsck that happened at that time).
It only did an fsck every "x" reboots, not every time. You can probably force one too by pulling the power cord. If it gracefully shuts down, there's no real need to run fsck but after unplanned shutdowns, it should.

So I'm watching Combat Trains on DVR. No matter how much I watch, it still says 1 hr 3 mins left.

Still want to defend this PP C(G)UI ?

So I noticed a deleted program, "Hitler's GI Death Camp" had reappeared. Or more likely, never disappeared after the first deletion. So I tried to delete it again. I got "The selected 0 items were moved to trash." And it's still with us.

You folks figure I can only add shows, but not delete? Or a certain percentage will go, some will "stay." Until the internal HDD explodes? ;)

Gee, now I can't wait to see what happens when I try to move a program to an EHD.

U236

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts