It's a BUD, but what is it for?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
Here's a dandy that I've never seen before.
One of my co-workers who knows I've been working on my dishes for a while asked me about this thing in their neighborhood close to where we work...
Anyway, it's obviously some sort of transmitter/receiver but it's pointing nearly straight up (and no, I'm not on the equator... I'm at 34.8)
Next to it appears to be a small radio tower of some sort.
I haven't driven over to look at this thing first hand, but it has piqued my interest.

Any ideas on this one?

Attachments

• xfiles1.JPG
    xfiles1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 473
  • xfiles2.JPG
    xfiles2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 416
possibly the dish isnt being used. I've seen dishes aimed down, straight up (god knows why on that one) and way off the arc when they are not being used

That's my suspicion. The co-worker is going to try and ask the neighbors about it.
If it turns out it's not in use... it might be in my backyard before long...:D

No, no. The guy is tracking aliens for the NSA. He is hooked into a vast network of other top secret guys who are coordinating information.

There is an immediate death sentence to anyone who discloses what they are doing.

See if I'm right. Go to the guys house. Ask him. He'll tell you it caught a high wind and twisted up. He just hasn't got around to changing it. he'll claim

But now you know the real story. It's the aliens.

If he's a Ham, he might be into in EME experiments.
That's Earth-Moon-Earth, and involves bouncing a signal off the moon.
I'm not interested in that branch of the hobby, so couldn't tell ya more.

Alternately, he might be a Ham, and tracking Ham satellites.
They do not fly in synchronous orbits, but trace a line across the country much like you see on the big map at Space Shuttle Mission Control.
And, to track those birds, you need a dish capable of moving in two axises.

The fact that he has it so far up in the air, on a tower, with platforms beside it, suggests he's quite involved, and looks like he wants to be able to track down to the horizon.
So, the chance that the current position is just a resting or storage position for high winds, would be unlikely.
Of course, he could have been working on it when the pictures were taken.

These satellite pictures don't do the site justice.
I'd drive by and snap some of the entire area, and get a feel for the scale of the dish.
Is that a house, or maybe it's some sort of office with a business name on it.?

EME, possibly. OSCAR, possible too, but that's all 2m and 70cm. Also it would be kind of cumbersome for OSCAR tracking. Usually use stacked trick sticks or homebrew circular beam that track in all three planes. I'd bet against it being out of service though, mostly because of the setup around it. In one pic it looks like there's a free standing 40-50' tower due east of the dish/platform. You see it Anole?
Lone Cloud might not be to far from correct. He could very well be one of those devoute SETI nuts, or someone that is affiliated with sanctioned SETI research.
I'd look at his plates on his vehicles. If they are call sign plates he's a ham junkie........lol
It might still be profitable to ask. He is apparently active in some form of ETDXing. It is possible he may have a line or two on some other C banders in the area that are load and lug.

I'd be curious what would be found at that prime focal point.

OMG... your right about the NSA!!!! i looked up the picture on maps.live.com and now look at it!!

theyre going to come after us now that we know their secret location!!!

Attachments

• xfiles1.jpg
    xfiles1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 308
You're right!
Wow, I just drove by the house and there's just a blur where the thing was standing.
Looks just like a tear in the space-time continum...:eek::eek::eek:

Actually my coworker said they'd see what they could find out this weekend.
I carpool to work (42mi 1-way), so unless I drive in, it's difficult for me to get out and about...
I'll fill in the blanks as soon as I know something.

Ok, since today was the last day of work this week and I figured I'd be leaving a bit early, I stopped by to see this thing.
Nobody was home, and it was starting to get dark. And, of course, I forgot my camera and only had my phone.
It's definitely in use, and it's definitely NOT for TV. I would guess it to be about 18-20ft dia.
That is a HAM antenna to the east of it.
I couldn't quite figure out how it moved, but it appears to have 2-axis rotation.
The dish is held by two arms on either side and it looks as if the entire top platform rotates
I snapped these two shots and they are pretty despicable as photos go.
Coworker promised they would take some closer up shots and get them to me.
It's too much for me to think I could manage to get it home and do something with it, but it is intriguing...

Attachments

• xfiles3.jpg
    xfiles3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 289
  • xfiles4.jpg
    xfiles4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 281
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)