It's February, is it time to switch?

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
It's not the quality of the HD on these channels that's the issue. Currently, by not having these channels, quite a few subs cannot move to the cheaper all-HD Turbo packages. The Turbo packages have significantly fewer channels at higher costs per channel than the Classic Packs.
When asking for new HD the debate usually turns to what compelling HD content (insert channel here) actually has. Taste definitely vary but there are many HD channels we have that don't get turned to on my tv.
I would trade Golf, Tennis, both Lifetimes, CNBC, Bravo, CI, TBS, and ALL HD PPVs (except the one UFC is on) for SPIKE and NICK.

Dugout Doug

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 18, 2008
I don't think you are a prick. I like to take the emotion out of posting anyway, lots on this board can't.
To answer your question:

SPIKE = I LOVE MMA!!! There is another UFC Fight Night this Saturday on Spike in HD for those with D* and in SD for those with E*. Live sporting events 2 seasons of The Ultimate Fighter each year and more UFC centric shows coming. And from everything I have seen Spike is trying to position itself as the Mans network. I don't watch a lot that is not UFC on there, but that may have to do with me being the HD snob that I have become. Anybody that wanted MOJO-HD should be happy with SPIKE-HD.

Nickelodeon = for the kid. If I am going to put up with Nick being on when I am watching tv with my daughter it has to be HD. Lot's of us are eyeing or already moved to the HD only package, so this is a must.

CMT = I love me some redneck women. :) I like to have CMT on when I am cooking or cleaning or would normally have some tunes on. To tell you the truth MTV and the rest would not get much face time with my tv. I guess I brought those up just as a proof of D* being the HD leader and E* giving up.

Smithsonian = Hey I liked it. Just like Discovery and NatGeo, there isn't always good stuff on but one more channel like that gives me more options.

Hey I don't even know what is on FX. I know some of the HD channels that I do get don't get watched. I don't care about Speed or Fuel but some do. DISH can't make everbody happy, but it seems that they have given up on making anybody happy. Spike is my deal breaker and I will watch the next season of TUF in HD here or on D*.

Good enough.

I just see a lot of people posting wanting wanting wanting all these channels. Really, you would think that Foxnews and Fox business was this 24 hour HA Demo material channel.

We have it, I watched it, it does nothing to better my experience of watching the friggen news.

The MMA angle, I get, you are right there, Sports are great in HD. Music I get. But what I am getting to, is it worth scraping Dish in favor of D* because of a handful of channels that will not really slay anyone in HD anyway?

Thats what I was getting to.

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
...But what I am getting to, is it worth scraping Dish in favor of D* because of a handful of channels that will not really slay anyone in HD anyway?

Thats what I was getting to.
Yea I have always been a loyal DISH sub. I am just seeing a lot of evidence that DISH is standing still and Directv is continuing to move forward. HD channels of course but the software on my 622 hasn't been evolving either. Directv has got some cool things happening on their box and though the guide and remote will take some getting used to I am pretty sure I will be getting D*. I think if nothing else I am ready for a new toy. :)

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
Directv has got some cool things happening on their box and though the guide and remote will take some getting used to I am pretty sure I will be getting D*. I think if nothing else I am ready for a new toy. :)
Let the headaches begin.:eek::D

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
Do you have first hand knowledge on the subject?
Seems to be a lot more bitching and complaining on the DISH threads these days than on Directv's.
As far as equipment goes you couldn't pay me to use any D* DVR's.
Never mind D* couldn't touch the price I pay for my HD Absolute package.

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
As far as equipment goes you couldn't pay me to use any D* DVR's.
Never mind D* couldn't touch the price I pay for my HD Absolute package.

From what I have seen the DVRs aren't that much different. Yes I am used to DISH so my preference will lean that way for while I am sure. But feature list D* seems to be moving past the basics in software and with DISH I would need to buy a 922 to have one new feature for the last 2 years.
Your absolute package may be great for you but not for anyone wanting MORE HD. Not to mention absolute isn't offered anymore. So that is kind of a non point.

I would love to hear the facts on why the D* DVR sucks so bad without the theatrics since we all know you would use a 1970's VCR if someone paid you the right amount.

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Yeah, I really do miss Comcast's VOD system. Although it was total BS how they counted each HD VOD program as an HD channel...

FYI - A little deceiving, but they never counted them each as a channel, they touted them as HOURS of HD vs. "X" channels. At least in the advertising here.....

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
From what I have seen the DVRs aren't that much different. Yes I am used to DISH so my preference will lean that way for while I am sure. But feature list D* seems to be moving past the basics in software and with DISH I would need to buy a 922 to have one new feature for the last 2 years.
Your absolute package may be great for you but not for anyone wanting MORE HD. Not to mention absolute isn't offered anymore. So that is kind of a non point.

I would love to hear the facts on why the D* DVR sucks so bad without the theatrics since we all know you would use a 1970's VCR if someone paid you the right amount.
First I like a DVR to work but from what I've read and heard from friends thats asking to much from D* DVR's. Also I don't like the lay out of D* remotes.
A non point if I'm not changing for better equipment it better be for a better price.
As far as 1970 vcr I don't even have one hooked and when someone goes to loan me a movie on vhs I say no thanks. So no you could'nt pay me to use either.
Judding by your post and how much you hate E* why havn't you jumped yet.
Either way judging by your other post your just a Dish hater so this is a wast of my time!!!

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
First I like a DVR to work but from what I've read and heard from friends thats asking to much from D* DVR's. Also I don't like the lay out of D* remotes.
A non point if I'm not changing for better equipment it better be for a better price.
As far as 1970 vcr I don't even have one hooked and when someone goes to loan me a movie on vhs I say no thanks. So no you could'nt pay me to use either.
Judding by your post and how much you hate E* why havn't you jumped yet.
Either way judging by your other post your just a Dish hater so this is a wast of my time!!!
I agree it is a waste of time since I was looking for a intelligent point counter point and you didn't give me one fact. I like to deal in facts not emotion.
Fact: if I gave you 1 million dollars to use a pickle as a DVR you would. So enough with the drama queen theatrics.
I will leave DISH when I leave DISH until then I will welcome an "intelligent" assessment on why Directv's DVR sucks so bad.

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
I agree it is a waste of time since I was looking for a intelligent point counter point and you didn't give me one fact. I like to deal in facts not emotion.
Fact: if I gave you 1 million dollars to use a pickle as a DVR you would. So enough with the drama queen theatrics.
I will leave DISH when I leave DISH until then I will welcome an "intelligent" assessment on why Directv's DVR sucks so bad.
Why can't you just admit your a Dish Troll?

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
List of reason to stay away from D*.
1, Cost of equipment.
2, Slow interface.
3, No RG6s outs.
4, One Remote.
5, Rewire House.
6, No over-the-air tuners

Looking at the DIRECTV_HR23.pdf. I say MRV is a joke, looks like you need a box on every tv for it to work. HR23 only comes with one remote and it looks like it only out for one TV. Unless you want to watch the same thing.
So unless I missed something in the guide. You couldn't just take away a VIP-722 thats hooked and working to say 3 tv and put a HR23 in place of it. Looks like you need to rewire your house and get 3 IRDS instead of 1.
Looks like you need a network connection to every box for MRV to work, no RG6.:eek:
So I don't see any reason to switch.

It's late and I could have missed something but I don't think so.

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
Why can't you just admit your a Dish Troll?
Yes I have had DISH for 10+ years as a cover to my Trolldom.
Why the hatred? Do you hate on everyone that questions the brand of TV you have? Are the people that drive your model of car that complain about it Trolls?
I am sorry if you or anyone else takes my questioning of a service that I subscribe to personally. I would tend to think that is a flaw with you approach life and not me.

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
I can't run coax, component, silly string, etc. If I can't send the HD signal over my single coax, powerplug, wireless or osmosis; I can't do it.
I was am desperately missing a home with a crawlspace and functional attic you don't have to pour salt in my wounds. :D
Did he miss the fact that he needs 2 RG6 cables for the D* IRD's.:eek:
Maybe that's why he hasn't switched. Maybe next the next D* IRD they will fix that.
I guess he doesn't like the facts!!!

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
List of reason to stay away from D*.
1, Cost of equipment.
2, Slow interface.
3, No RG6s outs.
4, One Remote.
5, Rewire House.
6, No over-the-air tuners

Looking at the DIRECTV_HR23.pdf. I say MRV is a joke, looks like you need a box on every tv for it to work. HR23 only comes with one remote and it looks like it only out for one TV. Unless you want to watch the same thing.
So unless I missed something in the guide. You couldn't just take away a VIP-722 thats hooked and working to say 3 tv and put a HR23 in place of it. Looks like you need to rewire your house and get 3 IRDS instead of 1.
Looks like you need a network connection to every box for MRV to work, no RG6.:eek:
So I don't see any reason to switch.

It's late and I could have missed something but I don't think so.

:up
There we go. In the future lets skip the name calling jump straight to the facts.

1. I only have one 622 right now, so equipment will be free for my situation
2. HR23 supposedly is a lot faster than the previous models. Still may not be as fast as DISH's barebones software. ;) May very well be frustrating after having a 622 though.
3. I was not aware of not having coax out, as that could be a deal breaker since that is how I plan on feeding my third non-HD tv.
4. I don't think buying another $20 remote will kill me if I am happy with the rest of the service.
5. I have coax going to my other 2 rooms. I was planning on upgrading my HDTV upstairs to an HD feed via HDMI-over-COAX or another networked box or some other ingenious way. But I don't think that everyone that goes from DISH to Directv has to rewire their house.
6. No OTA want hurt if Directv gets CW up in HD like they are with PBS. But alas could be another deal breaker.

I prefer leaving my 622 in single-zone mode because recording multiple and watching at the same time works more seamless. Again that is just my viewing preference.

Thanks for giving me some things to look at. If I decide to stay with DISH I will be sure to be right there with you calling out all those trolls that dare ask for more HD channels or anything else that DISH isn't already giving them.

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
NC
Did he miss the fact that he needs 2 RG6 cables for the D* IRD's.:eek:
Maybe that's why he hasn't switched. Maybe next the next D* IRD they will fix that.
I guess he doesn't like the facts!!!

My delima of only having 1 coax was for feeding HD to the bedroom.
But FYI D* installers now have a 1 cable from dish to dual receiver just like E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)