It's February, is it time to switch?

It would be really nice if Directv could offer a deal to Dish Network customers only where the 2nd or 3rd HD DVR is free or at a lower cost. I can guarantee you that a lot of people would leave Dish Network. The cost of the equipment to switch is what's holding me up.

Agreed, the initial outlay can be a turnoff. That's why I said to call and see what a CSR might be able to work out. But I'd recommend to get anything in writing, or create your online account access right away and verify what the order says since some CSR's say one thing and then something else happens.

How many HD channels has D* added in the last year? Do you even know?
You obviously do NOT or you would have posted such information if it supported your agenda. If D* and E* had an equal number of HD channels and D* didn't have a cushy lead, I could see how such a fact could be relevant.
If you want to post a list of HD channels on both sat providers along with when they were added feel free. I think that would be constructive.
In the future it would be nice if you are going to join a discussion you bring facts or at least a relevant opinion.

I have reviewed looking at Dish, just see how how it is on the other side. Though after review, unless I am doing something wrong on Dishbuilder. I am looking about a 98.00 or so monthly bill (after promtion) expires.

With Directv, after the price increase I will be looking at a 81.00 bill. The main issue with Dish for me seems to be the Fees if you want an extra HD Reciver/DVR. The fees for a 2nd HD/DVR were about 16.00.

Does this sound right??. The Dish builder website is a pretty simple concept so I dont think I am entering anything correct

Just an FYI: The package I chose to build was the 250 Package, Two HD recivers/DVR's and the HD gold package

the reason you chose that package is because it's the only way to roll!:cool:

If you're a Costco member you can see if your local store has the HR2X's there, usually $20 to $40 less. You can also just call DirecTV, tell them you want to switch but the $199 2nd DVR fee is an issue, they might work you a deal.

I just checked Costco.com and they're offering an $50.00 Costco
gift card with new DirecTV activation.

I'll check the local stores to see if they have the HR2X's for purchase.

Might be the way to go. Thanks!

It would be really nice if Directv could offer a deal to Dish Network customers only where the 2nd or 3rd HD DVR is free or at a lower cost. I can guarantee you that a lot of people would leave Dish Network. The cost of the equipment to switch is what's holding me up.

I almost switched last fall, until Dish Retention offered me $15 a month off with no commitments. I took them up on it, because it basically paid for my nhlci package. However after hockey season is over I will have no reason for staying.

The current AAA offer gives you $10 off a month for 24 months on top of all other national deals. My son has D* and the HD picture quality is outstanding. Plus the AAA offer will give you an additional HD Receiver free, on top of the national offer of HDDVR for free.

Like I said before, Dish needs to step up to the plate and give us some subs hope, to stop us from being tempted to leave.

ya I just switched from 200 DDA to TurboHD Silver DDA and they said I needed a 77 wings dish which would be installed for free with a 24 ya thats 24 month commitment.

I have reviewed looking at Dish, just see how how it is on the other side. Though after review, unless I am doing something wrong on Dishbuilder. I am looking about a 98.00 or so monthly bill (after promtion) expires.

With Directv, after the price increase I will be looking at a 81.00 bill. The main issue with Dish for me seems to be the Fees if you want an extra HD Reciver/DVR. The fees for a 2nd HD/DVR were about 16.00.

Does this sound right??. The Dish builder website is a pretty simple concept so I dont think I am entering anything correct

Just an FYI: The package I chose to build was the 250 Package, Two HD recivers/DVR's and the HD gold package

Additonal HD DVR is $12 ($7 addl lease fee + $5 DVR fee). It's $10 for SD DVRs. If you went DDA Turbo Gold (all HD), it would cost $60 + $12 or $72. The first receiver is in the package price and the first DVR fee is included with DDA along with locals. That'd be cheaper if you don't need any of the channels in the Gold package that aren't in HD. I think Silver is about the best package. There isn't much additonal in Gold that's worth the extra cost.

This may be off topic, but one feature I really want is to play recorded content from one dvr from another dvr or stb. I know uverse does this so I imagine D* and E* will eventually. Odds are D* will get it out well before E* since they have had free vod and internet dvr programming for a while now and E* still does not.
Anyone know of this coming to either provider soon?

Fox News HD and Fox Business HD uplinked and some are posting "what will everybody complain about now?". How about the rest of the HD D* has. I would be surprised if these are the only 2 that we get whenever we get them but lets not act like its now a tie game. But it is a good sign adding a feature to the 622 this decade would be a nice sign too. :D

This may be off topic, but one feature I really want is to play recorded content from one dvr from another dvr or stb. I know uverse does this so I imagine D* and E* will eventually. Odds are D* will get it out well before E* since they have had free vod and internet dvr programming for a while now and E* still does not.
Anyone know of this coming to either provider soon?

You can move it from DVR to DVR with an external hard drive. Or you can use Sling.

Sling Media - Home of the Slingbox

Just want to point out that E* is adding more HD this month and can do online DVR programming (still in beta but works very well). I wouldn't switch just yet.

Yea what I really want is HD in the bedroom. Right now I only have one 622. I don't mind paying for an another receiver for the bedroom but I want access to all my recorded events without much hassel.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

The component and HDMI ports are simultaneously active on the 622. You're probably using the HDMI port for the TV, so run the component to your HDTV in your bedroom. Both TVs have to view the same programming, but if you're in the BR at night and no one is still up watching the main HDTV, you're OK. If you go to monoprice.com, you'll find long component cables w/audio coax fairly cheap. Or just get a 211k or 612 for the bedroom for $12 per month.

Just want to point out that E* is adding more HD this month and can do online DVR programming (still in beta but works very well). I wouldn't switch just yet.
Thanks, I have heard they had this in beta and pulled it because of how bad it was or something like that. Good to know it may just happen.
Is a decent VOD implementation coming too?
D* has a nice selection of FREE VOD which is great when you have kids and you don't want them to fill up the DVR with crap. The last time I looked E* only had PPVs and the interface is shameful.
It's good DISH may one day finally have DVR programming via the internet but the way things have looked E*'s receiver may be rock solid but it is also frozen in time. D* has been implementing some pretty neat features and I have heard from a reliable source of at least one that I really have been waiting for just around the corner.
I hope E* has all the same features planned but it sure looks like the D* software development is leaving E*'s in the dust.

The component and HDMI ports are simultaneously active on the 622. You're probably using the HDMI port for the TV, so run the component to your HDTV in your bedroom. Both TVs have to view the same programming, but if you're in the BR at night and no one is still up watching the main HDTV, you're OK. If you go to monoprice.com, you'll find long component cables w/audio coax fairly cheap. Or just get a 211k or 612 for the bedroom for $12 per month.
Yea I am in a townhouse at the moment and running 3-5 coax's to the bedroom is not an option because of the layout. I already have one coax run which I feed from the 622. I don't use the 2nd zone of the 622. The 211 or any HD receiver for the bedroom would work if I could access the recordings from the 622 downstairs.
There is a HDMI over coax solution coming out 1st quarter this year for around $800 that may do the trick. I have also thought about a slingbox\sling catcher solution but the quality is a concern.
Dunno, I guess it's nice to have such problems when there are so many without one HDTV.

Yea I am in a townhouse at the moment and running 3-5 coax's to the bedroom is not an option because of the layout. I already have one coax run which I feed from the 622. I don't use the 2nd zone of the 622. The 211 or any HD receiver for the bedroom would work if I could access the recordings from the 622 downstairs.
There is a HDMI over coax solution coming out 1st quarter this year for around $800 that may do the trick. I have also thought about a slingbox\sling catcher solution but the quality is a concern.
Dunno, I guess it's nice to have such problems when there are so many without one HDTV.

It's one cable, component and audio combined.

For only $16.65 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 50FT 5-RCA Component Video/Audio Coaxial Cable (RG-59/U) | 5-RCA Component Video Cable

I don't think I will ever understand the obsession of seeing Newscasters and Comedians in HD.

Movies, Musical events, Sports. Heck, some TV shows that can blow your mind, yeah.

But a guy on a stage talking infront of a mic, Reno 911? Hannity? (love the guy, but do we need him in HD to get the point of his show?) Greta?

Oh, that's right, this isn't about the actual programming on these channels, it's about thinking you deserve something that someone else has.

How about this, watch Dave Ramsey in SD for a little while and realize you are never going to keep up with the jones's and quit the race.

We will get HD channels when they come.

The post above about Dish and DTV, really, one gives you LOCALS FREE!!!! The other gives you DVR FREE!!! Then one gives you HD FREE!!! The other gives you FREE RECEIVERS!!!!

Really, after all is said and done, there is a >$5 difference, but you can watch Leave it to Beaver on Nick at Night HD on the other!!111one

This is a great board, lots of info, good people, and real true comedy, like this thread.

maybe I can get this thread in HD and enjoy it more...

E* has been saying new HD channels for a while now and I've yet to see them. E* doesn't have internet programming for your DVR like mentioned above which would be a super nice feature. E* is way behind what Direct TV had HD wise months ago. Yet D* is still adding channels people want to watch where as E* replaced a HD channel with another than 90% of the people that subscribe to E* probably don't care to watch.

Now I will admit E* has been good about adding HD locals but honestly each one they add only affects a small portion of their customers. So for the ones that want national programming in HD well, they just aren't adding it.

The only thing E* has promising at this point that D* doesn't is the receiver with the built in sling technology that's supposed to be coming out who knows when. Probably 5 years from now knowing Dish. Yet while not adding a whole lot people want E* doesn't have a problem raising our rates. This rate increase is one I feel they don't deserve.

The other thing about E* that bugs me is they like to tell you stuff is coming yet it takes forever and hardly ever is done by when they say it will be if it's even done at all.

My buddy has D* and it is a different interface and don't know how long I would have it before it is second nature like DISH is to me. But they do have a kick @$$ VOD compared to E* and the ability to program DVR from internet is very cool and of course the more HD. Greener or a nicer shade of green; I don't know that's why I posed the question.
Thanks for your informative input though.

D* has lame VOD, if that's what you want, go with Comcast, now THAT is kickass!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)