It's Official: Im going back to the R10 TiVo.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBKbiggestfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
I've had enough of the R15 after less than a week. I had it set to record a 2 hour program, and it some how ONLY RECORDED THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES!!! It has many other small problems that are just annoying. My LIST wouldn't show, so I had to reboot...among other things. Im way too used to TiVo. It has all the features I like and am acustomed to. I will keep the R15 in another active in another room. I believe the R15 may still be better in the future after they give it all the upgrades and such. Im going to just upgrade imy R10 from the 35 hrs. with a new drive to 140 hrs. Where is the better place to upgrde...PTV or weaKnees? I know PVT is a bit cheaper at $149 for 136 hrs compared to weaKneas 140hrs for $159. But which would be more reliable? One more question...The 35 hr. Hughes is the same as the 70 hr TiVo's D* had right? They are both R10 models...correct?

Last edited:
Use the weaknees instructions, it is actually very easy. LINK

The 35 hour Tivo's are not R10's. The R10 was the last Tivo based unit D* came out with. It can still be upgraded in size of HD but nothing else. The 35 hour Tivo's and any other S2 DirecTivo for that matter(aside from R10) can be hacked and enhanced with some cool things. Multi room viewing for one, HMO for serving music and pictures........ list is way too long of what you can do with a hacked Tivo.

You provide the HD and shipping and I'll do it for you. :D

Last edited:
Tonedeaf said:

The 35 hour Tivo's are not R10's. The R10 was the last Tivo based unit D* came out with. It can still be upgraded in size of HD but nothing else. The 35 hour Tivo's and any other S2 DirecTivo for that matter(aside from R10) can be hacked and enhanced with some cool things. Multi room viewing for one, HMO for serving music and pictures........ list is way too long of what you can do with a hacked Tivo.

Multi-room viewing??? I have the RCA40 (35 hour Tivo). I was contemplating the R15, but if this can be expanded AND multi-roomed, well, this changes things. Hard to multi-room view?

Proc said:
Multi-room viewing??? I have the RCA40 (35 hour Tivo). I was contemplating the R15, but if this can be expanded AND multi-roomed, well, this changes things. Hard to multi-room view?
No, not hard if you have opened up a PC and changed or added a hardrive and can follow directions. Go to this LINK. Some very easy instructions.

Some of the things I can do with my hacked Tivo's that are attached to my network:
1) Multi room viewing - view something that is recorded on another Tivo

2) HMO- use my PC as a music and photo server. Can play slideshows of pics and play any music on the PC.

3) TivoServer - Can transfer video files from the PC to be viewed on the Tivo - think torrents that are dl'd in .avi format and then transferred to the Tivo.

4) JavaHMO - This can do a ton of things - I use it to show movie times via the Tivo, can use RSS feeds, Weather......

5) Can also extract video from Tivo using a program that is not talked about at tivocommunity.

6) TivoWebPlus - able to connect to the Tivo via a web browser at home or can configure to access from any internet connection and schedule shows etc....

mikew said:
Can these upgrades be applied to an HD-Tivo?
You can hack the HD Tivo and do most of what I mentioned above with exception of the Multi Room viewing. You can extract from it from what i have heard. i don't own one.

Okay, Mine is the SD-DVR40...I found it to be upgradable on WeaKnees under the Hughes section. Is this is truly great idea to upgrade? I only have 35 hrs. as of now, and appearantly I will have 140 hrs when I upgrade. Is there any problems I could have when I upgrade it? Is weaknees the best to do this? Or is PTV better for upgrading?Also, I would love to learn more about hacking it to be able to view programs on it from other TVs throughout the house.

HBKbiggestfan said:
Okay, Mine is the SD-DVR40...I found it to be upgradable on WeaKnees under the Hughes section. Is this is truly great idea to upgrade? I only have 35 hrs. as of now, and appearantly I will have 140 hrs when I upgrade. Is there any problems I could have when I upgrade it? Is weaknees the best to do this? Or is PTV better for upgrading?Also, I would love to learn more about hacking it to be able to view programs on it from other TVs throughout the house.
Are you doing yourself or buying a kit from them? I preferred the weaknees instructions. It is all very easy if you are capable of working on a PC or have built one before.

Tivo-Underground forum at tivocommunity.com will help you with the hacking.

im buying a kit with the instructions from weaknees. They claim it is pretty simple, practically just replace the current hard drive with the new one.

HBKbiggestfan said:
im buying a kit with the instructions from weaknees. They claim it is pretty simple, practically just replace the current hard drive with the new one.

So how did it go? I am in the same boat as you. Thinking about ordering from weaknees and doing it myself.

Tonedeaf said:

I've been to weaknees and pvt and those sites give you instructions on expanding the HD, but no instructions on enhancing for cool features such as multi-room viewing, HMO, etc. Are their any instructions for this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts