It's Official - iPhone on Verizon Wireless

Verizon iPhone confirmed by Wall Street Journal

Rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon are almost as old as the iPhone itself, and earlier today we heard about a Verizon event next week, cleverly timed for 11 AM on 1/11/11. That set off speculation across the Internet, but we paid special attention to when the Wall Street Journal confirmed the rumor, citing "a person familiar with the matter." The WSJ has a solid history and isn't prone to confirming without good sources, so it seems a sure thing at this point.
While Apple has not been involved in this announcement (the WSJ says Apple declined to comment), many people have noted that Apple has generally not been involved in the "second carrier" in any country getting the iPhone.
I will be glad to see the iPhone on Verizon for the same reason that I am glad The Beatles are finally on iTunes: so that people can stop talking about it and speculating about when it is going to happen. That said, I've paid enough attention to Verizon's customer service reputation that I'm not convinced that I would switch. Competition is almost always a benefit to customers, so I am hoping that the arrival of the iPhone on Verizon will give customers more choice about calling plans, data plans, and (heck, let me dream) more reasonable SMS pricing. Fingers crossed?
Wall Street Journal confirms iPhone coming to Verizon

Verizon Iphone Announce date confirmed 1-11-11

See here

Verizon to hold special event January 11 — possibly iPhone

Looks like verizon is doing the launch not apple. Also Apple analysts (strictly apple) and bloggers are only being invited to the event.

Also, My local VZ guy has put in orders for VZ Iphone accessories and has started a calling list for people whom want a VZ Iphone. This looks like a matter of days before we get a vz iphone!!!!!!!!!!!

NY Times is reporting the same. Curious to see 1) how many people dump AT&T for Verizon for the iphone; and 2) what it does to Android. My gut says Android will weather this storm. :)

Threads merged, and this one's title changed. PLEASE do NOT create additional iphone/Verizon threads. This is the official discussion thread. Thank you.

no reason to go with AT&T now. Their capped data really turned me away from them and led me to Sprint when I upgraded over the summer. If Verizon can get a lower data per line price for a family pack, I would definitely hop right on board.

Considering this phone is a done deal, it would be interesting to see its teardown by FixIt.
And not so much for the changes in the case that were leaked and pulled shortly after from YouTube.
But to see how much of Samsung hardware is left inside. Their remote must be really pi$$ing off the fruit themed company...:)

And it's a lousy remote to start with...

Diogen.

Tyralak said:

I'm at the airport and on the iPadapp so links are difficult, here is the quote below

"Here is something interesting... Last night I saw the Verizon iPhone.

I was at the airport and went to eat dinner at Ruby's Diner.

The restaurant was almost empty and it was me and another two businessmen eating dinner. As I was eating I heard one of the guys at the other table say, hey want to see something to the other guy he was sitting with and then said "I am not allowed to show this in public" that really caught my attention.

He then pulled an iPhone out of his pocket and said, this is what we are announcing on the 11th.

It looked like an AT&T iPhone but then I noticed something different, on the sides it had no plastic bands on the sides just metal. The guy commented how they worked together with the Apple guys to help fix their antenna problem that the AT&T units have and that they were very excited about it. And with that he slipped it back in his pocket.

Now speaking about Verizon, I got to give them a hats off to them, at CES both AT&T and Sprints data network (3g and 4G for Sprint) were DEAD, while you could make calls fine you couldn't get any data. The one company that was working (and from what I see it was working GREAT) was Verizon."

no reason to go with AT&T now. Their capped data really turned me away from them and led me to Sprint when I upgraded over the summer. If Verizon can get a lower data per line price for a family pack, I would definitely hop right on board.
No reason to leave ATT for me. My unlimited data plan and my grandfathered PAC Bell plan for which I pay only $30 is reason for me to never leave ATT

No reason to leave ATT for me. My unlimited data plan and my grandfathered PAC Bell plan for which I pay only $30 is reason for me to never leave ATT

Same here, for now. I've always gotten good service from AT&T. As long as they don't take away my unlimited data plan, I'm staying put. However, I'm staying out of contract as a precaution. If they do yank my unlimited, I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

kind of a technical question, if I was to get the iphone when it comes out for verizon would I be able to transfer apps, would hate to have to pay again for apps, especially the slingbox app! that would be great on a iphone

kind of a technical question, if I was to get the iphone when it comes out for verizon would I be able to transfer apps, would hate to have to pay again for apps, especially the slingbox app! that would be great on a iphone

Yes, you would be able to transfer the apps. You can have the apps on as many devices that you would like as long as you use the same iTunes account. This is the one thing I like about the iPhone and iPod Touch. I have 2 iPhones and 3 Touch's and they all can share the same apps.

local fox news is going with it.

I wonder how verizon is going to "Crapify" the iphone. Anything that might compete with their user minutes sales, you know will get turned off.
For example their version of the motorola razr vs ATTs was a complete P.O.S.

I would love to see a sd memory slot

Yes, you would be able to transfer the apps. You can have the apps on as many devices that you would like as long as you use the same iTunes account. This is the one thing I like about the iPhone and iPod Touch. I have 2 iPhones and 3 Touch's and they all can share the same apps.

For the record, this is true with Android too. I can transfer all Android apps between different devices tied to my google account. All of the apps from my Droid were available for my Droid X, and for my Galaxy Tab. pay once, use forever.

The ipod/iphone app syncing is pretty cool since it is tied to the account on itunes and not on the phone. SO when my kid's friend got an ipod touch, my kid made sure he got all of his apps. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)