It's Official - iPhone on Verizon Wireless

....My biggest fear as a verizon subscriber is that when the iPhone exodus happens, the rapid increase on it's networks will bring verizon to it's knees. I don't trust the verizon people when they tell me they are ready.

Even though Verizon has had years to build up their network, I suspect you're right, it'll cause performance problems (although Andriod traffic doesn't seem to be hurting them). But I think most iPhone adopters at Verizon will be current Verizon customers. I vaguely remember reading some article that they figure the iPhone won't be as big a part of Verizon phones in use (compared to AT&T) and that only about 30% of them will be from AT&T.

I think the 3G v 4G thing is overblown. Most of the people who are on Verizon who would go to an iphone don't care about 3G/4G, they want to be magical, and that will be the driving force for them.

I do not expect mobile broadband to perform like an 80211N wireless network; and I am not concerned if it takes my phone 2 seconds longer to download a page. It just is not critical to me.

They want to be magical?

Yeah good for those who like the phone but I-phone has been way over hyped and many have finally seen the light... Now the Androids are doing well and now more from the big dog more WP7 devices will be coming out for the rest of the carriers.. Iphone is a good device but the competition is be better. Just my 2 cents.. :)

Last edited:
I am not basing my decisions or concerns on the ability to sling HD to a portable device. It just isn't that important to me to be willing to pay what I expect will be a hefty premium. If I want HD video on my tablet or phone, I will download or rip it and transfer it to my device. AND I suspect the 4GLTE thing will NOT live up to the expectation of slinging HD video. I'd be shocked if it was- particularly once there is widespread usage of millions of devices. Heck, even when I have slinged HD video over the wired net, the quality is nowhere where it should be, and to expect it to be better on a mobile device? NAH, I doubt it... :)

That and if your home upload speed isnt fast enough to take advantage of it (Sling), the download speed of your mobile network is not that important.
I have found, even over 3g, I get "adequate" PQ on my mobile device. Its better using wifi, and obviously better still directly on my home network, but 3g works fine for when I want to tune in to catch part of the game on the go.
Its not perfect, but thats a home DSL limitation more than anything else.

Not saying I wouldnt be interested in LTE when it becomes widespread at the right price point of course.

No, the iPhone is still stuck on AT&T so it can't be magical. It is the iPad that is magical.
If you want an example of what Apple magic is, try setting a one-time alarm for a minute or two from now.

Don't wait for the alarm to go off because it most likely won't.

Android phone would be nice if there were more apps that were not originally "iPhone inspired" or originated...meanwhile I will keep the iPhone...I like the open platform of android, but android has a long way to go before I would change over.

truckracer said:
Android phone would be nice if there were more apps that were not originally "iPhone inspired" or originated...meanwhile I will keep the iPhone...I like the open platform of android, but android has a long way to go before I would change over.

Just like pure consumption users don't understand the lure of open platform with android, neither do open platform users understand that they represent a smaller segment of society and that pure consumption people, who represent most of the population, don't care about it. Marshall McLuhan had it wrong for pure consumptionites. The medium is not the message. Most people just want the message in the easiest way. Apple magic is making that happen. Then, along comes all the me too developers who get a piece of the market. android devices, collectively, will capture the largest market share, but only by having hundreds of devices, something unique to fit everyones wish list. Apple will have one device with a half dozen options, that will work well to capture the largest segment of the population, that segment that just wants it easy and without needing to understand how to program it.

Today's big Keynote from Verizon at CES, came and went with lots of exciting news about the launch of LTE and a number of LTE phones, but no iphone! It surprised everyone that there was no announcement. Verizon stock took a dive from the disappointment. Now speculation is that the announcement will come from Steve Jobs in a couple weeks. Apple stock dropped slightly as well but the investors had been running Apple up to new 52 week highs leading up to the announcement that never happened. Same for Verizon stock with new highs running up for the past several weeks. Nothing else can be said about no news is the news of the day.

Don Landis said:
Today's big Keynote from Verizon at CES, came and went with lots of exciting news about the launch of LTE and a number of LTE phones, but no iphone! It surprised everyone that there was no announcement. Verizon stock took a dive from the disappointment. Now speculation is that the announcement will come from Steve Jobs in a couple weeks. Apple stock dropped slightly as well but the investors had been running Apple up to new 52 week highs leading up to the announcement that never happened. Same for Verizon stock with new highs running up for the past several weeks. Nothing else can be said about no news is the news of the day.

Jobs has controlled this from the beginning. Would have been a big surprise if Verizon had announced the marriage with the iPhone. Jobs will share the spotlight with no one!!!

Jobs has controlled this from the beginning. Would have been a big surprise if Verizon had announced the marriage with the iPhone. Jobs will share the spotlight with no one!!!

Agreed. I don't think it surprised anybody. Big Red continues to build its Android army, the iphone will appear when St Jobs dictates it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)