IT'S OFFICIAL NO FIREWIRE ON 921!

Mark_AR said:
So that means that I and other 921 owners spent $1000.00+ for a boat anchor...

I know we're all angry, but that may be a little extreme.

If Dish offered me my money back tomorrow I probably wouldn't take it. I'm enjoying the HD WAY too much. I'd like the firewire, mostly to off-load the limited hard drive space.

Problem is, the only other option for firewire is the Comcast/Motorola box. I don't think I want to trade the 250 gig, 3 tuner box for an 80 gig single tuner.

Now, if Comcast offers dual tuners and support for external firewire hard drives (in addition to the DVHS they have now), I'm ready to jump.

Now talking lawyer seems a bit premature. Do you want you money back? Might as well write "ceo" and ask first.

Personally, I think they should knock $200 off the current 921, fix the thing, and then offer everyone who purchased under false pretenses a swap to the new (repaired) model.

And, since we've lost the firewire, how about modifying the software to accept larger hard drives (dual drives would be even better)?

I like HD a lot too.

You raise some good points David, especially with larger storage capacity or a second Hard Drive.

My 921 currently has about 2 hours and 9 minutes left of recording time. I don't want to delete any events I already have, but in light of recent events, I will have no choice. I was hoping for a 2nd drive or firewire option so I wouldn't lose out.

At this time, if E* offered a refund, I would take it. Then I would get an older 6000U or maybe go back to an 811.

If I knew it wasn't going to be another 6 to 12 months before they could swap it out with something comparable that works, I would hold out for an exchange.

Just my $.02

Mark_AR said:
I like HD a lot too.

You raise some good points David, especially with larger storage capacity or a second Hard Drive.

My 921 currently has about 2 hours and 9 minutes left of recording time. I don't want to delete any events I already have, but in light of recent events, I will have no choice. I was hoping for a 2nd drive or firewire option so I wouldn't lose out.

At this time, if E* offered a refund, I would take it. Then I would get an older 6000U or maybe go back to an 811.

If I knew it wasn't going to be another 6 to 12 months before they could swap it out with something comparable that works, I would hold out for an exchange.

Just my $.02

Why can't you get a USB 2.0 drive?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I believe I am going to ask Dish to take back my 921 and ask for a full refund. I purchased my 921 on the basis that it would do certain things. I have even been told by a few at Dish that the firewire code was written and ready to go it was just waiting for the OK from Legal before they could release it.

I am upset, as I believe all 921 owners should be.

And while I am the bearer of bad news I am happy I could have dug to find this out, if I didn't say anything today many would still be waiting and wondering if the Dishwire ports were ever going to be active. If I didnt say anything when do you think dish was going to say something official about this?

Soo true, thank you Scott for putting an end to false hopes. I think we should really get some kinda of rebate from the grand that we spend for this Lie.

Neutron said:
Why can't you get a USB 2.0 drive?

And do what with it???

The USB port is marked 'For Future Use' just like the 1394 port. I don't have a clue if they were smart enough to put USB 2.0 onboard or if it is still USB 1.0.

One thought for the USB port would be for a mouse or keyboard interface. I don't know. The world may never know now.

Its past my bedtime... :sleeo

'nite

I'm not ready to give up my 921. When the HD Tivos are widely available, I may.

Well,

I think this explains why those of us who had failed 921's were strung out so long long before we got a replacement, and lied to continuously all along the way. 'keep us going until we got past the charge dispute period.

I don't know how these people sleep at night. I know I couldn't.

E* managers must get an ethical bypass operation when they're hired.

I guess I don't understand why E* would be upset about 'the news getting out'. What they heck did they expect when units start showing up with the 1394 ports covered up, and not in a way the user could remove easily. Anyone could figure out that they were gone so this news should have been put out there anyway. They should at least have updated the fact sheet on their web site removing the reference to it.

We should some kinda of refund or rebate. based upon false advertising just like when we lost those channels due to contract disputes.

Scott Greczkowski said:
BTW a good post from Mark Lamutt at DBSTalk about the problem.

I do thank Mark for posting this.

He posted that after you had posted the fatal info, when would he have posted it if the news didn't get out?

Mark_AR said:
The USB port is marked 'For Future Use' just like the 1394 port. I don't have a clue if they were smart enough to put USB 2.0 onboard or if it is still USB 1.0.

WHAT??? :eek:
the usb port is inactive on this POS???? :mad:

This thing is trully an overpriced POS!!! :mad: :no

SimpleSimon said:
In addition, I think Dish/EchoStar should be given a permanent injunction to prevent any future 'vaporware'. In other words, you don't announce it until it actually works. Period.

When I've said that in the past, all the Charlie lovers have jumped all over me, hey don't worry, Charlie will get it working in some future software release, just give them time. Thanks for agreeing!

lex61564 said:
He posted that after you had posted the fatal info, when would he have posted it if the news didn't get out?

I doubt he would have posted it at all, at least until someone else broke the news. He does have a NDA so I am sure he was protecting himself, and I can't really blame him for that, however when you are serving the public I believe its best to be honest with the public.

I know there are a few people at Echostar VERY upset with me, and frankly I don't care. My feeling is the truth had to come out sometime or another, if I didn't break the news then someone else would have eventually. How long should customers who paid $1,000 for this unit have to wait in the dark about this promised feature?

If Echostar should be upset, they should be upset at themselves, they are the ones who promised FireWire/DishWire interactivity on their shows, they are the ones who listed these features in their spec sheets, and they are the one who went to the press and touted that the 921 will have the ability to dump HD.

I really do want to see Satellite succeed, the name of the site is SatelliteGuys not CableGuys. We are here not only to report on the industry, but help people maked informed decissions of Satellite Companies and Equipment.

I will continue pushing on bringing consumers honest opinions and news about the satellite companies and equipment. As always when I hear something that is not confirmed I will label it as a rumor, the doors to me for official news from Dish may have closed a long time ago, but I will continue working hard digging for news to keep you informed.

I emailed charlie and Mark today. Charlie replied and said he would forward my bitchings to Mark. At least they are awake over there.
SUCKS!
FREAK!

As a soon to be NEW E* Customer hearing this type of information bothers me. Granted, I do own an HDTV but have to budget my satellite expenses and thus, can not afford HDTV Programming as well as any accompanying receiver.

I have already picked up a very well priced PVR 721 from DishStore which I know will suit my dual tuner needs perfectly. From my investigation the only real thing I ask for E* to further implement for the 721 is time based recorded. We'll all see if that happens. My old UltimateTV unit used it and it will spoil you.

But I will still be switching over to E* regardless for one simply reason. Pegasus continuously raises our D* rates and locals for my market are not even set till later in the year. If even then? E* has my locals right now and the fact that my 721 will be able to record them only makes me that much happier. (I Cant Miss 24 For Anything!)

Siding with 921 owners I would be outright furious. I don't even own any FireWire devices but if I could afford the 921 then chances are, I could afford an accompanying FireWire device to offload recorded HD material.

Come on E*! Work something out with your customers over a product you've falsely advertised and promoted!

ItamaeChef

Kagato said:
Sure you'll end up getting a PPV coupon, but charle could be out a cool quarter mil.

Charlie won't be out anything. He is untouchable. Corporations don't really have any money, they just use money from other sources i.e shareholders, customers etc. Spread across these sources it really amounts to nothing.

I understand and share the anger and frustration over this debacle but being angry at a corporation is kinda like being angry at the chair you just stubbed your toe on. Yelling at it might make you feel better but it's unlikely to make your toe stop bleeding or the chair behave any differently than it did before.

Just my jaded and humble opinion.

NightRyder

Dish Network- That "damn coffee table in the middle of the dark room" Satellite company.

That could stick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)