I've seen the..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dunnsept

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Central Meechigan
promised land! (well, SAT receiver land at least)

just got back last night from a trip across the pond (Germany).
it's been a while since I've been over there (3 years) but this time I was on the prowl for sat stuff.

offset Ku dishes EVERYWHERE!!!
some houses had 4 and 5 dishes on the roof (some even more).

sitting there Saturday morning flipping through all the junk that comes with the paper (sale ads) and I was amazed at the sat stuff for sale. seems like every single store sells satellite stuff. for the equivalent places here, it would be like K-Mart, wal-mart, kohls, home depot and the like ALL selling complete sat setups!
I didn't see any DVB-S2 stuff really, had I seen any, I would have grabbed some if the price was OK. Most everything was DVB-S.
There was one place having a sale on a portable sat setup. you got the recvr, lnbf, dish, tripod, cables, etc.. all packed in a plastic carrying case for 69 euros.
one place (like a best buy) had piles and piles of offset dishes.. 60cm up to about 80 or 85. and a full wall of receivers. most were really small too. less than 1/4 the size of my pansat.

As it is, I got a Technotrend 3600 USB dvb-s2 for about $90. I was going to go for a new model (Tevii) but they were out of stock .. maybe next time..

or maybe I can get my MIL to bring a bunch with her this summer ;-)

pics are coming.. ... I'm at work supposedly catching up on all the crap that piled up while I was gone

patience man patience ;-)

The reason they stock them at big box stores is because the providers are not allowed to sell the receivers for only one provider. You buy what ever brand of receiver you want (provided it is capable of card specific type), plus the right card for the provider you want. That way if you switch providers you only need a new card and a dish repoint.

The fact that they acually have a lot more FTA channels than we do would also make the same system usable to a greater number of people than over here, and more people know that there are lots of FTA channels. If the laws were the same on this side of the pond as Europe, they would be available in big box stores here too.

Put yourself in the readers place.
Unless you have the discipline to defer the thread until the pics are ready, people may wonder if you are a tease.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)