Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today a New York court issued an injunction that forces IVI.TV to stop broadcasting television stations over the internet.

Lets hope they get an appeal as it was a great service that worked well.

Today a New York court issued an injunction that forces IVI.TV to stop broadcasting television stations over the internet.

Lets hope they get an appeal as it was a great service that worked well.

WOWSER!

I'm sure glad I canceled them last month.... They just didn't work for me very well with Charter 3mbps service

Here's a posting from their site:

A notice to all ivi TV subscribers and interested parties.

As you may be aware we have been in a fight to provide affordable Cable TV for the Internet.

Today the Southern District Court of New York granted a preliminary injunction in the case 1:10-cv-07415-NRB. We will be appealing the decision in the second circuit but in the interim we must shut-down most of our broadcast channel offerings.

We believe the court made an error in the ruling and will be appealing the decision supported by many public interest groups. But we cannot do it alone. In return, we ask that you support them. If you can, visit Public Knowledge and/or EFF to leave a donation.

In the interim we are suspending invoicing for ivi Air and ivi Pro, so it is not necessary to cancel subscriptions. As soon as we can restore the channels we will resume the subscriptions from that point forward.

We will continue to carry a number of channels and will be adding channels from broadcasters and content providers as we grow.

Thank you for your support,
The ivi TV team

I'm really disappointed in the ruling today. It seems like people can't choose and pick what channels they want to watch. I sent the CEO a email saying I'm sorry about the ruling and fully supported his service.

Who do you think was behind the decission? I am interested to hear.

Personally I think this is the way the television industry is going... with Hulu, TV.COM and the networks themselves putting their product online there is no real reason for affiliates to exist. But the problem here is IVI did it and the networks were not in control.

Sure IVI says it was paying copyright fees, but to who?

If you can buy a paper from anywhere you should be able to watch TV from any market as long as you pay for it. (I am sure the sports companies such as the NFL does not like that.)

I think DISH know the future of Television is the Internet, which is why they are so gung ho on getting all boxes hooked up to the internet. Hell they even have an IPTV service that for the moment is international channels, but how long until we see mainstream programing from DISH via IPTV? Satellite will still be used but for the high bandwidth programming such as HD.

I think its only a matter of time before it happens.

So PLEASE tell us your feelings on it... just keep it clean and non political as we are a family site. :D :D

Come on now, are any of us REALLY surprised? Right or wrong, didn't we all see it coming?

It was so unlikely to succeed, I can't help but wonder if they didn't just view it as a paycheck for a while.

I looked over IVI's legal fight and they do have a good argument over a loophole. But I think its just that a loophole, one that will get patched quick.

I say all the time, TV companies must adapt with new technology or die, even if IVI(ivy) TV is never allowed to broadcast channels again this might(I say might) be a wake up call to the NAB and the tv industry in general(I can hope at least)

Who do you think was behind the decission? I am interested to hear.

Personally I think this is the way the television industry is going... with Hulu, TV.COM and the networks themselves putting their product online there is no real reason for affiliates to exist. But the problem here is IVI did it and the networks were not in control.

Sure IVI says it was paying copyright fees, but to who?

If you can buy a paper from anywhere you should be able to watch TV from any market as long as you pay for it. (I am sure the sports companies such as the NFL does not like that.)

I think DISH know the future of Television is the Internet, which is why they are so gung ho on getting all boxes hooked up to the internet. Hell they even have an IPTV service that for the moment is international channels, but how long until we see mainstream programing from DISH via IPTV? Satellite will still be used but for the high bandwidth programming such as HD.

I think its only a matter of time before it happens.

So PLEASE tell us your feelings on it... just keep it clean and non political as we are a family site. :D :D

I'm very sure the big networks are behind shutting ivi tv down. Somebody other than them came up with this idea. What will most likely happen,as with Napster,Kazaa,etc.,one of the big players will try to buy ivi tv out for pennies on the dollar,& then make a killing on IPTV.

To be truthfully honest,it was kind of overkill to have so many network broadcasts(East/Central with New York City & Chicago & Pacific with Los Angeles & Seattle).One of each would have been nice like they first had. I did appreciate being able to watch the Pacific broadcasts of shows I missed & didn't record on DVD. You watch,some big player will buy ivi out,now that they feel they have them on the ropes,& then IPTV will really take off(& the subscription prices will "necessarily skyrocket" possibly ten-fold).

Who do you think was behind the decision? I am interested to hear.

The newspaper argument is not valid. The New York Times for example owns its content and can sell it any way it wants to even in Los Angeles.

The TV stations do not own their content. They are showing it by license from the network which can sell it any way it wants to, but chooses to do so by stations having an exclusive area. If a network like ABC wanted to show its content like cable it could do it, but instead it decided that the local affiliate method was what it wanted to do.

It is like McDonalds deciding to allow a franchisee to sell their products at a particular location. That franchisee cannot just open an outlet in a different location and ship burgers to it and sell them there without McDonalds' permission.

I wonder how ivi is "illegal",but you have habu.tv who offers,basically, a subscription to Milwaukee's Time Warner Cable feed via Slingbox to anyone in the world for approx. $200.00 a month(there's another company,who's name I can't remember right now,who does the same thing with Los Angeles Time Warner Cable Feed).This includes HD channels.These companies hook up a slingbox to a set top box,email the information for setting up the feed on your slingbox app or slingcatcher(including passwords),& then you could watch cable tv anywhere you have an internet connection in the world.

Does anyone know this question? How does TVU website show ABC and CBS out of San Francisco. How do they get away with it? A judge should be shutting down these channels too then if that's the case. If Ivi can't broadcast then no one should.

They probably have not been shut down since they have not been caught yet. Ivi was making a big splash signing up a lot of cstomers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)