Jack Tatum Passes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Longtime Oakland Raiders defender Jack Tatum has died. His former teammate at Ohio State, John Hicks, confirmed the death to WBNS-TV in Ohio.

Tatum was 61.

Tatum was a three-time Pro Bowler in nine season with the Raiders from 1971-1979. He finished his career with one season with the Houston Oilers.

The NFL Network ranked him as the sixth-most feared defender in league history in a panel last summer. His hit on Darryl Stingley in 1978 left the Patriots wideout paralyzed.

Tatum later wrote a book titled "They Call Me Assassin."

Tatum suffered from diabetes and had five toes amputated from his left foot.

Longtime Oakland Raiders defender Jack Tatum dies at 61 - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

A statement from Jim Tressel on the passing of OSU great Jack Tatum:

“We have lost one of our greatest Buckeyes. When you think of Ohio State defense, the first name that comes to mind is Jack Tatum. His loss touches every era of Ohio State players and fans.”

I'm a very tough grader for the Hall of Fame in all sports, but this is one guy who deserves to be in and is not. It's a shame.

Sandra

RIP

not to be a smart ass but this line is weird
Tatum suffered from diabetes and had five toes amputated from his left foot.

what...did he have 6 toes? Wouldnt it be he had all his toes amputated from his left foot?

A TRUE RAIDER! Played defense hard 150% of the time and one of the GREATEST Raiders of all time and quite possibily the best defensive back of all time. Though the man took alot of heat for his tough play, was well known for increase awareness of diabetes and started the Jack Tatum Fund for Youthful Diabetes in Ohio for diabetic research. He was also co-chairman of the annual fundraiser for the Central Ohio Diabetes Association, Celebrities for Diabetes...which if I am not mistaken, would always fall somewhere around the Ohio State/Michigan game.

...and he was one of my FAVORITE Raiders of all time. Condolences to the family.

R.I.P. You nasty SOB....:cool:

The thing I remember most about Tatum (other than the tragic Stingley collision) was the fact that in '72 if he had only let Frenchy Fuqua catch that ball and then tackled him, there would have been no "immaculate reception."

Darrell Stingley's autobiography, titled Lucky to be Alive, was available on the dollar table at Bradley's Department store just a couple of momths after it was released... and I didn't buy it at that price. I think Tatum's first book was a best seller. Life is unfair in a lot of ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)