Janeil Darkstar 12 foot. Yay or nay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Someone has a janeil dark star 12 foot dish for $50.

It is the kind that has the plastic frame and ribs.

Should I get it, or say the heck with it?

If it has the H-H motor rather than just an actuator arm that would be cool. I think the frame is composite rather than plastic, may not be bad either.

I don’t know where you live but here in Florida the sun turns anything plastic into dust! :eek:
Those plastic ribs may be brittle.
At $50 I'd pass.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Don't know where you live, so , I think I'll agree with the rest though, since I owned one of those things for awhile. The dish is kinda shoddy construction-wise, even though it was a great signal-sucker. The big ribs of the thing are just some kind of hard composite or plastic, and they are HOLLOW in the biggest part of the rib. Water tends to get inside, whether rain or condensation, and if you live in cold climates, it will freeze and crack the ribs. Mine cracked right where they attach in the center ring of the dish mount. then they get floppy, lol. If it has the H-H motor it might be worth the fifty, but I think I would probably pass on it. They aren't hard to assemble, but for one person , it turned out to be a nearly-all day job , haha.

I remember Turbosat talking about his plastic dish, in unkind terms. :(
If it has the H-H motor it might be worth the fifty, but I think I would probably pass on it.
I don't know why an H-H is assumed.
But it's got one, show some pictures so we can tell what kind it is.
You might want to spend the $50 to get a good H-H all by itself!
Just drop the dish off at the junk yard on the way home.
You can mate any sort of other dish to a good H-H and have a winner.
Of course, if no H-H included, run, do not walk... away. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts