Jaws Film Restoration --Own Jaws on Blu-ray August 14, 2012

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama

This blu has been given top PQ and AQ ratings by two reviewers so far, I cannot wait to own it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. My memory was that Jaws was one of the last movies that was allowed to decay. The VHS and laserdisc releases were delayed several years bacause they said the master print was damaged beyond repair. When they finally did release it on home video, the quality was pretty poor.

Now I see this interview in High Def Digest, and realize they were just being cheap:

HDD Interviews Cast & Crew of 'JAWS' About the Blu-ray Restoration and Exclusive Documentary | High-Def Digest
HDD: What was the condition of the source materials?

MD: We accessed the original 35mm negative for this restoration, which is the first time we've ever done that [for 'JAWS']. The negative was in a condition that's typical for its age and use. We scanned that original negative in 4K on a liquid gate scanner. The liquid gate helped with some of the surface scratches. Then we went through our normal processes of color correction and digital restoration -- removing scratches and repairing torn frames. There were a scene or two that had some film damage. We process all of that, bringing Steven in a couple times during the process to get his feedback and final approval, and then we output it, in this case a new 35mm negative so we could preserve it as well as make some prints. We also made a new 2K digital cinema version and then new Blu-ray HD elements.

BTW, MD is MIKE DURATY, SVP, UNIVERSAL TECHNICAL OPERATIONS

I can only hope an effort like this is spent on the Indiana Jones early flicks.

Different studio (Paramount vs Universal). If you read the HDD article, they say this was part of the Universal 100th anniversary celebration where they restored 13 classic titles.

Understood, Im just saying I hope the same kind of effort and pride went into Indy, especially the 1st one. That movie deserves special treatment as well.

I just preordered this guy

810cgaf7UCL._AA1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RM66GG?qid=1343915523&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I haven't seen this in a long time, so I might have to get it.

For me, it's one of the best movies of all time, and I can watch it over and over. With the work they put into the restoration, and 5 star reviews so far from 2 reviewers, it's a must own for me.

Im actually shocked someone would have to ask "how a BD would make it better".

I can't say this about many movies but at that price Jaws on Blu Ray is a must own. It's just a great movie. I still remember the experience of seeing this in the theater. During the movie I started to hate Hooper . I grew up around fishermen . Robert Shaw deserved an Oscar for this movie. It's great the they filmed in on location with no CGI. It just adds to the greatness. And I"m glad the shark didn't work as much as they wanted it to. It made for a better movie.

For you Jaws fans. Here is the Jaws Vehicle we used to promote the opening of the ride .26421_1394833189800_1201305030_1172920_3949971_n.jpg The Land Shark

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a chance to watch it today. Some good stuff on this disc. They've cleaned up the movie and some might be happy with the dvd version. I didn't see a huge difference between the blu ray and dvd. Sad that Robert Shaw is gone because it would be interesting to hear from him about this movie. Richard Dreyfuss makes some interesting comments about Robert Shaw. If any of you ever read the Rolling Stone Magazine about Jaws a few years back it will back up what they wrote. They didn't like each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts