Jeff Jagodzinski speaks with Jets, may lose B.C. gig

This is stupid on BC's part IMO. All coaches talk to people about other jobs. Even Pete Carroll allows NFL teams to woo him. Whatsmore, BC is hardly a destination job. They are 5th on the sports scene in Boston, have few fans (witness the ACC CG) and they traditionally underpay their coaches.

I get that BC may be tired of their coaches bailing on them, but unless you're gonna open your wallet and pay people enough to stick around this will happen. If BC fires Jacodzinski over this then the ONLY guy they could hire that would be blindly loyal to their program is Doug Flutie. Too bad he's not a coach.

I always wounder why these coaches don't have to stick with their contracts.

It's one thing to ask for permission from the owners/ADs, but it's another thing to just leave because their is a better job somewhere else.

They signed the contract for a period of time, it's their responsibility to live up to it, if they get fired, they still get paid what is left on their contract, so if a coach leaves, they should pay what is left on their contract.

Another problem with all this is that in the pros the player can never leave before their contract is up, and in college if a player transfers, they have to sit out for a year, but the coaches don't have to wait or adhere to their contracts.

I know this happens a lot more in college than the pros, but look at Saban.

I have no problem with BC firing the coach, someone has to adhere to their contract.

Last edited:
I have no problem with BC firing the coach, someone has to adhere to their contract.

Um, he is adhering to contract. HE'S STILL THEIR COACH, even though he interviewed.

...how would you feel if you got fired for interviewing? (yes, I know, apples and oranges, but think about it)

DeFillippo is a moron, and should be the one shown the door. Incredibly short-sighted move by BC, and amazingly ironic, given their transgressions when ripping up contracts and the Big East.

I find it refreshing that a university ENFORCES the contract these coaches signs! Everyone makes a big ass deal about players pissing and moaning that they want to get their contracts re-worked....everyone yells that they should 'stick to the contract you signed'...! Well guess what, when you contract is over, then go searching for a new gig....until then, stick to your contract!!!!

GOOD for Boston College!!!

Um, he is adhering to contract. HE'S STILL THEIR COACH, even though he interviewed.

...how would you feel if you got fired for interviewing? (yes, I know, apples and oranges, but think about it)

DeFillippo is a moron, and should be the one shown the door. Incredibly short-sighted move by BC, and amazingly ironic, given their transgressions when ripping up contracts and the Big East.

We don't know if there is a clause in his contract that he isn't aloud to go to interviews for other teams, probably not, but you never know.

But if he has to follow his contract, which IMO he should, there is no need to go for a job interview, he has a contract for X amount of years, if he wants another job, wait till his contract is up, then look for another one.

I find it refreshing that a university ENFORCES the contract these coaches signs! Everyone makes a big ass deal about players pissing and moaning that they want to get their contracts re-worked....everyone yells that they should 'stick to the contract you signed'...! Well guess what, when you contract is over, then go searching for a new gig....until then, stick to your contract!!!!

GOOD for Boston College!!!

:up:up:up

This kind of thing happens all the time. Most coaches have buy-out provisions in their contracts for just such a thing. Is it bad that he is trying to advance himself and move up to a better, higher paying position?? Unless there is specific language in the contract barring contact with NFL teams the school is looking at a potential lawsuit over his firing.

But, then again, Boston College should be used to this kind of behavior. They were involved in some shenanigans a few years ago themselves...

The suit asserts Miami and Boston College, secretly and in collusion with the ACC and its member schools, violated their legal obligations and fiduciary duties to their partners, the universities of the Big East. The suit also alleges Miami and Boston, while repeatedly reassuring the public they were firmly committed to the Big East, were at the same time actively and secretly planning to move to the ACC.

Big East teams name ACC in lawsuit - Triangle Business Journal:

This kind of thing happens all the time. Most coaches have buy-out provisions in their contracts for just such a thing. Is it bad that he is trying to advance himself and move up to a better, higher paying position?? Unless there is specific language in the contract barring contact with NFL teams the school is looking at a potential lawsuit over his firing.

But, then again, Boston College should be used to this kind of behavior. They were involved in some shenanigans a few years ago themselves...

Big East teams name ACC in lawsuit - Triangle Business Journal:

GOOD!!! As much as I love The U....they SHOULD be sued if they pulled this crap!! IF YOU SIGN A CONTRACT....you should be held to HONOR that contract...if PLAYERS have to, then coaches and OTHER institution should be too!

This is the hypocrisy that way too many fans have when it comes to sports...they make a big stink about players not wanting to honor theirs...but coaches and others get a pass.

GOOD!!! As much as I love The U....they SHOULD be sued if they pulled this crap!! IF YOU SIGN A CONTRACT....you should be held to HONOR that contract...if PLAYERS have to, then coaches and OTHER institution should be too!

This is the hypocrisy that way too many fans have when it comes to sports...they make a big stink about players not wanting to honor theirs...but coaches and others get a pass.

OK, you win the suit. Now what? You want this guy to go out and still coach you're team even though he doesn't want to? This America, you can work wherever you want, and you can be fired without notice at anytime. You can't force somebody to work for you. Just the way it is.

The BC AD already said if the coach had let him know that he was interviewing he would probably ok'ed it, but he didn't ask and found out from other sources. He has to probably have another NFL assistant job lined up if he doesn't get the Jets coaching job already.

Plus he's already fired after this morning's meeting with the AD at BC.

This is something that should have been handled behind closed doors. When you make a public ultimatum to someone they're gonna split. Who's BC gonna get now? They probably didn't think about that. Oops. My guess is that if the next coach struggles BC fans will be wanting to fire the AD, which they should. You don't fire coaches for stupid things like this. BC's acting like they want this guy to join the priesthood. That's not how it works.

OK, you win the suit. Now what? You want this guy to go out and still coach you're team even though he doesn't want to? This America, you can work wherever you want, and you can be fired without notice at anytime. You can't force somebody to work for you. Just the way it is.

OK...YOU win...I don't EVER wanna hear ANYONE bitch about an athlete to "honor your contract" EVER again because he wants more money and wants to renegociate....because that is the ONLY thing this school is asking. He is getting treated well, payed well and he is NO WHERE near a MAJOR program like a USC, tOSU, ND, Alabama or Florida State where the perks are REALLY big!

OK...YOU win...I don't EVER wanna hear ANYONE bitch about an athlete to "honor your contract" EVER again because he wants more money and wants to renegociate....because that is the ONLY thing this school is asking. He is getting treated well, payed well and he is NO WHERE near a MAJOR program like a USC, tOSU, ND, Alabama or Florida State where the perks are REALLY big!
That's not the same thing as what we're discussing. Jags isn't trying to hold BC hostage, he's simply trying to get himself a better and more lucrative position. Unless there is a clause in his contract that expressly forbids it, it is legal for him to pursue another job.

Below is a portion of a sample NCAA head coaching contract (Lisa Bluder, head women's basketball coach at Iowa). I'm not claiming Jagodzinski's contract is exactly like this, but from what I have heard/read, this type of clause is pretty standard these days:

TERMINATION BY UNIVERSITY WITHOUT CAUSE; LIQUIDATED DAMAGES

This Contract may be terminated by the President at any time without cause. In such event, Coach will not be reassigned to any other position within the Department of Athletics. Further, in such event, University shall pay to Coach as liquidated damages, in lieu of any and all other legal remedies or equitable relief, the sum of $300,000 for each year or portion thereof (pro rata) remaining in this Contract, representing Coach's annual salary and the agreed value of all fringe benefits provided by University. The above sums will not be reduced in the event of Coach's subsequent employment during the period covered by this Contract. Payments shall be made in equal monthly installments over the remaining months of this Contract, beginning one month after the date of termination. The University shall not be liable to Coach for any University benefits or any collateral business opportunities or other benefits associated with Coach's position as head women's basketball coach. The parties have bargained for this liquidated damages provision, giving consideration to the following: This is a Contract for personal services. The parties recognize that a termination of this Contract by University prior to its natural expiration may cause Coach to lose certain benefits, supplemental compensation or outside compensation relating to her employment at University, which damages are difficult to determine with certainty. Accordingly, the parties agree to this liquidated damage provision. In the event University decides to exercise this clause, Coach shall be given thirty (30) days notice and a chance to resign within the 30 days, in which event she shall still receive the liquidated damages herein provided.

"Cause" usually refers to morals or NCAA violations. Firing the coach without cause would seem to be the case with Jagodzinski.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the University can fire the coach at any time without cause and if they do the coach receives their pay and benefits. These amounts will not be reduced if the coach gets another job during this contract time.

It's good to be a coach!!!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/LisaBluder_contract.pdf

It just sucks for BC. I actually am not a BC fan. I went to Notheastern, I have family that went to BU and Harvard.

I feel for the program, every time they get a decent coach they leave. I think the only long term guy they had was Jack Bicknell (the father). They have had decent coaches in both Basketball and Football and lost them.

Hard to blame Jagodinzki here. BC fans don't really support the team when they win but they will surely complain if they lose. Jags has worked with both Brett Favre and Matt Ryan, which should make him very attractive to many NFL teams. And he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the ACC. Jags will probably land on his feet. The question is where will BC football be in 5 years? I doubt they can count on making annual appearnces in the ACC CG.

It just sucks for BC. I actually am not a BC fan. I went to Notheastern, I have family that went to BU and Harvard.

I feel for the program, every time they get a decent coach they leave. I think the only long term guy they had was Jack Bicknell (the father). They have had decent coaches in both Basketball and Football and lost them.
I have heard that Jack Jr. is a potential candidate for the job...

That's not the same thing as what we're discussing. Jags isn't trying to hold BC hostage, he's simply trying to get himself a better and more lucrative position. Unless there is a clause in his contract that expressly forbids it, it is legal for him to pursue another job.

Below is a portion of a sample NCAA head coaching contract (Lisa Bluder, head women's basketball coach at Iowa). I'm not claiming Jagodzinski's contract is exactly like this, but from what I have heard/read, this type of clause is pretty standard these days:

"Cause" usually refers to morals or NCAA violations. Firing the coach without cause would seem to be the case with Jagodzinski.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the University can fire the coach at any time without cause and if they do the coach receives their pay and benefits. These amounts will not be reduced if the coach gets another job during this contract time.

It's good to be a coach!!!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/LisaBluder_contract.pdf

OK so if the situations are different or not what we are discussing...then why bring it up as an example?:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)