Jerry Jones and the NFL screw over 400 SB goers...!!

You think this is a frivolous lawsuit? How so?

Sh*t happens. Not everything is worthy of a lawsuit. This was unfortunate, but no one was physically harmed.

Now, if those people WERE allowed to sit in those stands and the seats gave way and someone died or was seriously injured and it could be proved that Dallas went against the fire-code safety by allowing them to sit there anyways, THEN there would be a lawsuit.

And by the NFL (and others) caving in to frivolous lawsuits like this is part of the reason why everyone in the world who has some sort of misfortune (whatever the extent) thinks he/she can sue and get away with it.

This is not frivolous at all. People spent thousands of dollars to get there, stay there, and to watch the game and that was all for nothing.

This is not frivolous at all. People spent thousands of dollars to get there, stay there, and to watch the game and that was all for nothing.

They're getting compensated. The NFL is trying to make this right. People can't sue because of a misfortune. No one was harmed. Disappointed? Yes. Harmed? No. They may have actually been SAVED from harm.

What if they were allowed to sit there? What if the stands caved in and someone died?

They're getting compensated. The NFL is trying to make this right. People can't sue because of a misfortune. No one was harmed. Disappointed? Yes. Harmed? No. They may have actually been SAVED from harm.

What if they were allowed to sit there? What if the stands caved in and someone died?

Who cares what could have happened? We are talking about the fact that these people spent thousands of dollars to go and didn't get to go when they had tickets. They are not being compensated enough.

HD MM said:

So according to you, you need to be physically harmed to sue?

So the NFL CAN sue some local bar because they are showing a blacked out local team.....but the NFL can't be sued because some thing was promised by way of their ticket and you chaulk it up to "sh** happens"..?! LMAO!

A natural disaster is really the only excuse they have to "sh** happens". They had MONTHS to prepare those seats...but all they wanted was to break the world record.

Who cares what could have happened? We are talking about the fact that these people spent thousands of dollars to go and didn't get to go when they had tickets. They are not being compensated enough.

What is "enough"? Where do we draw the line?

The fact of the matter was that these people's security and well being were protected. That should be "enough".

The risk was assessed by the fire marshall and they deemed it "unsafe". Should they have determined this before everyone's time and money was wasted? Probably. Yes. That didn't happen though so a decision was made for the sake of SAFETY! Sometimes there are more things important than money. Health and well being being one of them.

Frivolous.

So according to you, you need to be physically harmed to sue?

So the NFL CAN sue some local bar because they are showing a blacked out local team.....but the NFL can't be sued because some thing was promised by way of their ticket and you chaulk it up to "sh** happens"..?! LMAO!

A natural disaster is really the only excuse they have to "sh** happens". They had MONTHS to prepare those seats...but all they wanted was to break the world record.

Look, I'm no lawyer, I was just saying that people are too lawsuit crazy today.

I'm looking at the bigger picture. A potential accident was avoided and people got TRIPLE their money back or a Super Bowl Ticket with paid expenses of their future game of choice in return.

No harm, no foul. Inconvenience, yes. Is the NFL making it up to the people? Yes. Do they need to sue? No.

The NFL made an alternative compensatory offer yesterday, under which the fans can opt for a ticket to any future Super Bowl plus return air fare and hotel accommodation.

The NFL has also offered those fans $2,400, triple the face value of their tickets, and a ticket for next year’s Super Bowl, which, according to the lawsuit..

Ok. Sounds fair. Sounds like the fans have a decent choice. Yet they still seek more than $5 million in damages?!

Frivolous! People are too sue happy these days.

NFL, Cowboys, Jones Sued by Season-Ticket Holders Over Super Bowl Seating - Bloomberg

Look, I'm no lawyer, I was just saying that people are too lawsuit crazy today.

I'm looking at the bigger picture. A potential accident was avoided and people got TRIPLE their money back or a Super Bowl Ticket with paid expenses of their future game of choice in return.

No harm, no foul. Inconvenience, yes. Is the NFL making it up to the people? Yes. Do they need to sue? No.

You are missing the point completely. The league KNEW this way in advance. The could have fixed it BEFORE the damn Cotton Bowl...but the league was not interested in setting records in the Cotton Bowl, not a big enough payday. Why didn't they fix it then? They had TIME. Hell, that section was not competed DURING the NFL season, why didn't they fix it THEN?

IF you were one of them, you would be bitching too!

Look, I say reimburse them ALL for their expenses, give them season tickets to THEIR favorite team IF they live in the teams town for the next 2 years. IF not, give them a choice of any Super Bowl within the next 5 years WITH VIP treatment that includes 1st class airfare and hotel accommodations and pay their food and beverage on game day.

The NFL will NOT allow this to go to court and they will settle because if it EVER got to a jury, their a$$ is grass!

rockymtnhigh said:
I don't know. I suspect the NFL would NOT want this to get to a jury. I say they will settle; covering actual expenses plus providing the refund and next year's ticket as they already offered. The whole thing is bad PR for them.

I agree with your post.
They won't want it to get to a jury... to much addl. bad pub.

Back when there weren't umpteen ways to see a heavyweight fight on TV, big sportsbars used to bring them in on C-band using 10' dishes and proprietary BMAC descramblers that were supplied just for the event. I set up one temporary reception facility for a Holyfield-Bowe fight, and that restaurant's nearest competitor - it was either Champions or Challenger's, I forget which - also advertised it heavily and sold some pricey packages that included having a limo pick the guests up at their homes, bring them to their restaurant for a pre-even dinner, and then many of them even included hotel rooms, since the fight wqas expected to end after midnight, eastern time.

Maybe a year earlier, some C-band satellites got relocated on the arc, so the promoter (Top Rank) kept sending out notices warning their sites that the satellite they were renting for this event was no longer in its original orbital position and so they needed to make sure they knew how to properly target it. They even rented the satellite for an hour on the Tuesday, Thursday and Friday before the fight so their reception sites cold make sure they had established a working downlink.

I stopped by my account on all three of those days and charged the customer $10 each time for me just flipping on the satellite receiver and confirming its operation. That really pissed off the owner, who thought everyone was out to screw him.

About a week later, when I was in his restaurant, he had a bottle of wine sent over to my table. He had recently learned that his competitor was unable to provide the fight because the programmable dishpointer in their satellite receiver had pointed the dish to the wrong satellite slot and no one there had any idea why the fight was not coming in.

A bunch of disgruntled customers got together to sue the bar and it made the largest local newspaper, but I never did find out how it all played out, as I moved out of that area shortly after that happened.

I agree. It won't go to trial.
Even if it goes to trial, and they win, it will still be several years of their life tied up in depositions, travel cost to see attorneys, constant rescheduling and shuffling your life for court times, etc. It's almost not worth it, especially if your being offered tickets to a future Super Bowl or triple face value or whatever. Go through a lawsuit and you learn a hard lesson in life, even if the outcome is in your favor.

Oh this get better by the second....

Updated: February 10, 2011, 5:34 PM ET

Super Bowl called 'total disaster'

By Calvin Watkins

ESPNDallas.com

An NFL executive doesn't blame fans for being angry over losing their seats at Super Bowl XLV.

NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman, in an interview with ESPN 970-AM in Pittsburgh on Thursday, summed up the situation as "awful."

"We made the best of it. We screwed it up. I can't change that," Grubman said. "I'm a football fan and before I worked at the Super Bowl I took my young sons and my father ... to see the New York Giants and if that would have happened to me, I would be furious."

One of the angry fans is a granddaughter of the first president of the Green Bay Packers. She says she was among the 400 ticketholders forced to watch the Packers play the Pittsburgh Steelers from standing-room spots because their seats weren't safe.

In a letter sent to the NFL, which she provided to The Associated Press, Peggy Beisel-McIlwaine says Jones should never be allowed to host another Super Bowl. She called her experience a "total disaster."

Beisel-McIlwaine wrote that it took several hours -- and miles of walking -- before stadium and league officials finally led her and other displaced fans from their upper deck seats to a field level bar area behind the Pittsburgh Steelers bench -- with no view of the field.

NFL exec on seating mess: 'We screwed it up' - ESPN Dallas

Yeah, the NFL did an OUTSTANDING job trying to fix the situation....:rolleyes:

All this because Jerry wanted to set an attendance record ....
Jerry is the one they should be suing, not the NFL, the NFL isn't the one that added seats at the last minute to set a record ...

All this because Jerry wanted to set an attendance record ....
Jerry is the one they should be suing, not the NFL, the NFL isn't the one that added seats at the last minute to set a record ...

Sorry, but that statement is not true. The NFL sent the company from New York to put in the extra seats. When it became apparent that the company from New York was not going to finish the seats in time, Jerry Jones brought in another company to help finish the job. This was in the Dallas Morning News. I'm not a defender of Jerry Jones by any means, but the NFL was squarely in the middle of this mess.

Sorry, but that statement is not true. The NFL sent the company from New York to put in the extra seats. When it became apparent that the company from New York was not going to finish the seats in time, Jerry Jones brought in another company to help finish the job. This was in the Dallas Morning News. I'm not a defender of Jerry Jones by any means, but the NFL was squarely in the middle of this mess.

Your telling me that Jerry had NOTHING to do with the "Lets set a Record " in MY STADIUM....

Ya right ....

The NFL has NO need to set a record for attendance.

Your telling me that Jerry had NOTHING to do with the "Lets set a Record " in MY STADIUM....

Ya right ....

The NFL has NO need to set a record for attendance.

You stated "the NFL isn't the one that added seats at the last minute to set a record". The NFL are the ones that hired the firm from New York to install the additional seats. Not Jerry Jones. If they didn't want to set an attendance record, why are they the ones who hired the seating construction company? Jerry did hire an additional company to assist the NFL crew when he saw they were not getting the job done. I am not by any means a fan of Jerry Jones, but he is not the only one responsible for the seating disaster.

You stated "the NFL isn't the one that added seats at the last minute to set a record". The NFL are the ones that hired the firm from New York to install the additional seats. Not Jerry Jones. If they didn't want to set an attendance record, why are they the ones who hired the seating construction company? Jerry did hire an additional company to assist the NFL crew when he saw they were not getting the job done. I am not by any means a fan of Jerry Jones, but he is not the only one responsible for the seating disaster.

Hmmm, wonder what he had to pay the NFL for that ... :rolleyes:

His point is that the NFL had to approve the decision for additional seats, no matter what the reason. They also chose such poor contractors to begin with that they couldn't get the job done by game time even when Jerry tried to step in to get it done. Jerry has to play by the NFL's rules. I think he would've been better off if he were able to call all the shots himself.

And STILL More :

NFL offers more to fans

Associated Press

DALLAS -- The NFL upped the ante again Tuesday for the 400 fans displaced by problems with temporary seats at the Super Bowl.

Spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league e-mailed all the fans to offer either $5,000 or reimbursement for "actual documented" Super Bowl expenses, whichever figure is higher.

The latest offer is the third and most valuable option for fans who had tickets but no seats in Cowboys Stadium for Green Bay's 31-25 victory against Pittsburgh on Feb. 6.

The NFL decided to extend another offer after commissioner Roger Goodell talked to fans over the past week, McCarthy said in an e-mail.

The first offer was for $2,400 -- three times the face value of the affected seats -- and a ticket to next year's Super Bowl. The league soon added a second option of a ticket to any future Super Bowl plus airfare and hotel costs.

"As you may know, we have been reaching out directly to those fans who regrettably and inexcusably were unable to watch Super Bowl XLV from a seat in Cowboys Stadium," the e-mail to fans stated. "In listening to your feedback, we have decided to offer a third option."

The seating issue has sparked at least two lawsuits against the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys, and the lead attorney for one of the suits was unswayed by Tuesday's move. Attorney Michael Avenatti said the NFL still isn't offering reimbursement for all Super Bowl expenses, or addressing fans who were delayed or relocated to "substandard" seats.

"The NFL and its lawyers need to come clean with the fans as to their right to full compensation and sit down with us to fairly resolve this matter," Avenatti said.

About 1,250 seats were declared unsafe hours before the Super Bowl, and the NFL scrambled to find new seats for about 850 fans. The remaining 400 were forced to watch from standing-room areas or on TV from places with no view of the field.

Documents released after the game show that the Cowboys were slow to respond to requests for building permits needed to install the seats, and indicated that a contractor walked out on the job in the days before the game.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)