Jets backup QB McElroy talks about team’s ‘corrupt mindset’

was it rex's idea to make holmes a captain? if so, what in the world was he thinking?

Oops, looks like it was Rex's choice:

Jets coach Rex Ryan announced earlier this summer that quarterback Mark Sanchez would be a season-long captain for the team. Today, he added four others: WR Santonio Holmes also representing the offense, CB Darrelle Revis and NT Sione Pouha on defense and S Eric Smith for special teams.

Ryan said he selected the captains, rather than the players voting them in. Four of the five captains were drafted by the Jets. Holmes re-signed with the team for five years after the Jets traded for him in 2010.
Rex Ryan selects five team captains for season | NJ.com

That's unusual. Nice catch.

It definitely is unusual.

As for McElroy's 'revelation', the only part I have a problem with is that it came from a rookie who spent the entire season on IR, instead of someone who was a regular contributor. What probably pissed him off is that he may have been working harder on IR then some of the healthy teammates he was referring to.

I don't believe the sanctity of the lockeroom was breached here; McElroy didn't name individual players. What he said wasn't shocking, and he didn't point anyone out.

It definitely is unusual.

As for McElroy's 'revelation', the only part I have a problem with is that it came from a rookie who spent the entire season on IR, instead of someone who was a regular contributor. What probably pissed him off is that he may have been working harder on IR then some of the healthy teammates he was referring to.

I don't believe the sanctity of the lockeroom was breached here; McElroy didn't name individual players. What he said wasn't shocking, and he didn't point anyone out.
i have to agree with this. worse was when the ex colts kicker Vanderjagt specifically made comments about manning and coach dungy in an interview

Absolutely right Rey!

I'm a diehard Jet fan and I can't stand what's going on.
Rex, who I like, has to stop boasting. We have not won anything yet.

Second Sanchez needs to step up and take control of this team.

Third string quarterbacks should really not be speaking about issues. Your lead quarterback should.

I always refer back to Brady and the Pats.
Jets should use them as a role model.
Yes Brady got into a fight with offensive coordinator. But kept in house!

Anyone on Jets who does not give a hundred percent needs to be let go.
Holmes! Also burress a waste of money.
Schottenhimer can go elsewhere.

Finally Pollian is out there. Go get a GM with great football experience. Not what we have right now with Tannenbaum.

He let go integral parts of the Jets that made us winners.

Gone:

Faneca
Brad Smith
Thomas Jones
Cotchery
Edwards

Replaced with old or inferior players.
Jets could not recover from this.

Last edited:
Looks like McElroy was right. This time though it's a high profile player puts his name to his comments:

If Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes remain New York Jets teammates in 2012, they might need an intervention to repair their relationship.

The Sanchez-Holmes rift was "as bad as I've ever been around," LaDainian Tomlinson revealed in a television interview.

Tomlinson, the latest player to characterize the dissension-torn locker room as The Florham Park Zoo, said he's not sure if Sanchez and Holmes can co-exist. The future Hall of Famer claimed the locker-room problems "got out of hand" toward the end of the season, adding that coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum fueled the mentality because they like players that speak their mind.
New York Jets -- LaDainian Tomlinson describes rift between Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes - ESPN New York

Tomlinson is considering retiring. I'm sure he's not concerned.

Here's a take from someone who's not considering retiring :

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, commenting for the first time on the team's locker-room turmoil, said Thursday the problems went "real deep." He suggested a clearing-the-air session when the team returns for the start of offseason training.

"When we come in there in OTAs, just have a player meeting," Revis told the NFL Network in Hawaii, site of the Pro Bowl. "The leaders need to step up, talk to everybody in the building and say, 'Hey, man, this is our goal this year. This is what we need to accomplish.' Let's not get into the bickering or the frustrations, because it brings a team down."

Cornerback Darrelle Revis says New York Jets' internal turmoil runs deep - ESPN New York

I normally believe this type of stuff should stay in house. But, Rex Ryan has brought this on himself. He has set the example. He is just like his dad, a big mouth who just can't seem to shut up and do his job. Teams take on the personality of the coach frequently. I think it will get worse for the Jets before it gets better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)