Jim and Charlie w/ Support of Their staff Say YES to multiple MPeg4 Receivers

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I went back to the Charlie Chat and made a video of the passage where Charlie and Jim clarify, with the help of the staff, that a customer can upgrade to two receivers by paying the upgrade fee.

A caller calls in with the question, "I have a model 6000. What can I do to upgrade to MPEG4?" The answer is as expected, pay $49 and that's it. They go on to offer another scenario. Just what everyone is talking about, "I have two HDTVs. What can I do?"

Pay very close attention at about the 15 second mark.

4.3MB WMV

I hope this ammo adds some bite to our bark.

Attachments

• Charlie_Chat_mpeg4.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 288
gpflepsen said:

There's lots of bite in the bark...now if only Dish wasn't numb and deaf.

That video seems like plenty of evidence. Apparently "unanimous" as Jim put it didnt include Mr. Lumpkin's bright idea fron his response to Scott's inquiry :rolleyes:

Perhaps Scott should email this file to Mr. Lumpkin, so they can properly prepare a squirmy statement to tell us that we didn't hear what they said in the video.

I dunno if the views expressed by Jim and Charlie represent the company and they did have to refer to the peanut gallery, but it was a unanimous YES! :D

CPanther95 said:
They said you could get a DVR for the new HDTV, but didn't say when. :)

What's that I hear...oh yeah...Dish taking note of your idea...we'll probably hear that in an official statement tomorrow.

BFG said:
I dunno if the views expressed by Jim and Charlie represent the company and they did have to refer to the peanut gallery, but it was a unanimous YES! :D
What do ya mean if they represent the Company, they are the Company if they say what they mean then they should mean what they say, which I think they did! Kinda like putting a price on something and then u go to buy it then they say thats not the price for what ur buying, but they have to sell it to u at the price that was on the tag! So since they clearly said u could have 2 new mpeg4 recievers thats the way it should be period!! Nuf said!:D

gpflepsen said:
I went back to the Charlie Chat and made a video of the passage where Charlie and Jim clarify, with the help of the staff, that a customer can upgrade to two receivers by paying the upgrade fee.
A caller calls in with the question, "I have a model 6000. What can I do to upgrade to MPEG4?" The answer is as expected, pay $49 and that's it. They go on to offer another scenario. Just what everyone is talking about, "I have two HDTVs. What can I do?"
Pay very close attention at about the 15 second mark.
4.3MB WMV

Thank you Gerry P. for documenting what we all saw/heard and sharing it with us.
Keep passing the amunition.:D

Folks, I suggest we all take the time to read the disclaimer at the end of the show. It is very long and pretty much says "Mistakes happen". I wish mu DVR had it recorded, but my recording cuts off at the 12 million customer announcement 1 hour into the show.

See ya
Tony

Folks, haven't you all learned yet? Don't listen to ANYTHING that Charlie says, the Charlie Chat shows are about as worthless as a bug on our windshields! I've got to ask, how many things has Charlie said in the past that ended up not being the way it was? By Feb. 1st things will change again, I wouldn't even worry about it all until then.

tonyp56 said:
Folks, haven't you all learned yet? Don't listen to ANYTHING that Charlie says, the Charlie Chat shows are about as worthless as a bug on our windshields! I've got to ask, how many things has Charlie said in the past that ended up not being the way it was? By Feb. 1st things will change again, I wouldn't even worry about it all until then.

I have taken advantage of 2 specials that Charlie has offered in the past on the Chat, but had to have long talks with the CSR's before I obtained them. However, it really appears that E* is completely out of sync with the MPEG4 changeover. On the Dish Network web site, my HD equipment upgrade options today are to lease a 811 or purchase a 942 for $699 plus $99 installation ($798 total). This is completely unethical on the part of E*. Most people are not aware of the MPEG4 changeover and are being taken advantage of now. According to the news from the Retailer Chat, E* will not activate a MPEG2 HD receiver after Feb. 1, 2006. I responded to a thread about this several weeks ago and said that this was false because I can not believe that E* would (could) essentially declare our MPEG2 equipment worthless, except for a $50 rebate for 6000's and 811's and a $200 rebate for 921's and 942's to trade them in for a lease deal, but only 1 receiver per year!!!

I felt good after the Charlie Chat because they said that we could get the lease upgrade deal on the ViP 211 and 622 both. I was going to lease both as soon as they were available. My expectations were in the next 2 weeks for the ViP 211 and 1 to 6 months for the 622. Now I have to wait until the 622 is available, as I really want a HD DVR. I was very pleased after the Charlie Chat, but am completely disgusted now. The announcements of only 1 MPEG4 lease upgrade per year and that E* will not activate a MPEG2 HD receiver after Feb 1, 2006 has completely changed my mood. However, if my 6000 craps out after Feb 1, E* will have to replace it with a VIP211 or 411, since a replacement 6000 or 811 could not be activated. Interesting.

JohnC said:
However, if my 6000 craps out after Feb 1, E* will have to replace it with a VIP211 or 411, since a replacement 6000 or 811 could not be activated. Interesting.

No, they will replace it with 6000 or 811 from the pool of returned items. They will activate it in this case.

thanks for the video

I've been a sub for 15 days now and have already been screwed with a shabby install they are correcting again this saturday (another 4 hours of my life wasted) I know not a dish issue but still issue.

I have 2 811 and 2 311 now after being a sub for 15 days I learn I'll have to spend another $50 to upgrade my 2 HD boxes per dick's chat to get new content. I'm OK with that but barely.

now I learn I can't even upgrade both HD units what the :devil: is up with that! maybe I will maybe I won't but the whole idea I'm even worried about it is what sickens me and is a shame.

I'd cancel now if I had the option.... I'm sickened by the whole thing so far

one other thing I watched the chat and those guys are CEO or top of the food chain of dish? how embarrassing they sounded like idiots and knew nothing of the organization they run.... "hey you guy behind the camera are we charging to swap out receivers... blah blah blah" what a bunch of idiots.

thanks for listening
ben-dover

jldesign said:
thanks for the video
I've been a sub for 15 days now and have already been screwed with a shabby install they are correcting again this saturday (another 4 hours of my life wasted) I know not a dish issue but still issue.
I have 2 811 and 2 311 now after being a sub for 15 days I learn I'll have to spend another $50 to upgrade my 2 HD boxes per dick's chat to get new content. I'm OK with that but barely.
now I learn I can't even upgrade both HD units what the :devil: is up with that! maybe I will maybe I won't but the whole idea I'm even worried about it is what sickens me and is a shame.
I'd cancel now if I had the option.... I'm sickened by the whole thing so far
one other thing I watched the chat and those guys are CEO or top of the food chain of dish? how embarrassing they sounded like idiots and knew nothing of the organization they run.... "hey you guy behind the camera are we charging to swap out receivers... blah blah blah" what a bunch of idiots.
thanks for listening
ben-dover

Please be aware that the limits on equipt swaps is most likely due to production....dn did this with dual tuner receivers for about 18 moths after they came out..in that case dual tuner receivers were available only to NEW customers..The explanation I got was there just weren't enough to go around..basicaslly DN rationed the equipment..I was pissed off but I got over it...to this day I still have my original JVC receivers.. They work just fine and while I'd lke to have dual tuner dvr but I can live without it ...
I also have no intention of upgrading to HD until I have to......There just isn't enough programming out there to justify the expense.....

dishcomm said:
Please be aware that the limits on equipt swaps is most likely due to production....dn did this with dual tuner receivers for about 18 moths after they came out..in that case dual tuner receivers were available only to NEW customers..The explanation I got was there just weren't enough to go around..basicaslly DN rationed the equipment..I was pissed off but I got over it...to this day I still have my original JVC receivers.. They work just fine and while I'd lke to have dual tuner dvr but I can live without it ...
I also have no intention of upgrading to HD until I have to......There just isn't enough programming out there to justify the expense.....
While I understand, and E* is doing the same thing for the same reasons as before, This time there's a BIG difference - lots of channels NOT available unless you upgrade. Dual tuner boxes are basically a convienence, and sometimes a $5/mo money-saver.

TNGTony said:
Folks, I suggest we all take the time to read the disclaimer at the end of the show. It is very long and pretty much says "Mistakes happen". I wish mu DVR had it recorded, but my recording cuts off at the 12 million customer announcement 1 hour into the show.
See ya
Tony

Do a search for it. They rebroadcast it several times. I got it DVR'd on the 12th instead of the 9th cuz I wanted proof too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts