Joey 3

If the communication between the Hopper3 and the Joey3 did not change from the Joey2 then why did Dish have to update the software in the Hopper3 for the Joey3?

My assumption would be that the update was to enable the Hopper 3 to even be able to look for Joey 3s on the moca network, even if the method of communication did not change.

HEVC is almost certainly for forwards compatibility. The more HEVC boxes Dish can get out there now, the less pain there is on the backend for when they actually make the change. Imagine how much more quickly Dish could convert the western arc away from MPEG2 had they gotten MPEG4 boxes out there two years earlier.

Don't think I'll get one . I have a brand new Joey 2 I never activated. With smart TV I find myself going straight to Amazon or Netflix with 0 extra cost.

Was supposed to get 2 Joey 3s today but installer called to tell me they don’t have em yet. Must only be avail in certain markets right now.
They're definitely not coming out en masse. In our shop, you can only get them if you have a work order for them (I have my first one tomorrow), and even then sparingly.

Hoping you can give us a report on how the 3s compare to the 2s. Speed, Netflix capability, any other things you’ve noticed. Thx in advance
Oh sorry, I forgot to come back and report.

Speed is noticeably better than the Joey 2.

Netflix app works as expected.

Comes with the 54 remote which works fine. I never had the 54 so I don't know if they updated it or not from original release, but there is only 1 power button that turns both tv and Joey on/off. My kids like that.

When you do power off, the tv turns off immediately while the Joey stays on for about 5 minutes. Installer said this is intentional.

Home media works as expected.

Hopper3 is on 506 and Joey3 is on 550.

I don't have ota adapter so I can't test anything with that.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My assumption would be that the update was to enable the Hopper 3 to even be able to look for Joey 3s on the moca network, even if the method of communication did not change.

HEVC is almost certainly for forwards compatibility. The more HEVC boxes Dish can get out there now, the less pain there is on the backend for when they actually make the change. Imagine how much more quickly Dish could convert the western arc away from MPEG2 had they gotten MPEG4 boxes out there two years earlier.
considering what a Nightmare and a king's Ransom it is to upgrade millons of customres to a new codec for current content on Dish, and considering the continued loss of subscribers quarter after quarter, I can't see another grand equipment switch out migration occurring on Dish quite possibly ever again while also taking into account how heavily dish is pushing sling TV in ubiquitous advertisements and not so much it's Dish sat service, adding to that Ergen's latest remark that the satellite business side of Dish is still a "pretty good business." That statement contrasts with satellites earlier years of being hot, growing, and even disruptive back when spending mountains of money for Mass change out of hardware for migration was an investment that could provide a good return. FWIW, HEVC, IMHO, will be for UHD content exclusively because that makes the most economic sense in this changing world of how we access our entertainment content.

As Charlie himself said during a past quarterly conference call in response to questions about possible mass equipment change out for New Codecs, "[Having been through a few such migrations], I can tell you, they are costly--and painful!" "Oh the pain, the pain, the pain"-Dr. Smith. Dish just isn't going to spend that kind of money for those kinds of problems in a shrinking business that's in a world that's changing very quickly and with dish putting more and more of its eggs into the sling TV basket when such "costly and painful" migrations aren't really necessary.

That's simply my view of things; my opinion. I'm sure there are some see it differently.

...I can't see another grand equipment switch out migration occurring on Dish quite possibly ever again...
Good point, considering that there are still purple G3 Smart Cards out in the field, and white G4 Smart Cards have been around for how many years now? And the Smart Card is probably the cheapest piece of equipment to replace.

I don't know nor care what a 'purple G3 smart card' is but I'm guessing that they still work, so why replace them ?
Well, Dish used to replace them every time a new generation of smart card came out. (Is anyone still using the old blue or yellow smart cards? No? There is a reason for that, because Dish stopped supporting them, even though they still worked at the time.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)