Joey Bluetooth Adapter Options?

hdqboss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
NE Ohio
I have tried searching this topic but didn't see any threads addressing this. I don't mind paying $15.99 for an adapter from Dish, but I think their $7.00 shipping charge is excessive. Has anyone found another BT adapter that works?

I have tried searching this topic but didn't see any threads addressing this. I don't mind paying $15.99 for an adapter from Dish, but I think their $7.00 shipping charge is excessive. Has anyone found another BT adapter that works?

I tried a very old Bluetooth adapter I have and it didn't work.

Interestingly, when I took the Joey Bluetooth adapter and placed it into my ThinkPad T520 (Windows 10) I could identify the vendor (I believe it was Broadcom) and the model but no drivers would ever install and the suffix on the model didn't match any drivers, as I recall. That *could* just be because Bluetooth/Win10/T520's don't play well together, but I don't think so.

My guess is that it is another case of ODM where some slight change was made for the sake of uniformity of service/support. Sometimes those ODM agreements have expirations (like 2 or 3 years) and then the clones come out. But for something as inexpensive as these adapters, I doubt that sort of exclusivity was an issue - there are a lot more profitable things to "clone". (Clone is poor choice of words, perhaps...going down the road of Shenzen ODM/OEM manufacturing can be a little more complicated than that - things aren't always as they seem.)

By in large, $7 shipping is not excessive. I saw one place that charges $12.15

For the size and weight of the adapter it is. I just ordered some metal parts from Canada weighing about 10lbs and they are shipping it Fedex to me for $12.00.

Reactions: pattykay
I bought 2 of them last year directly from Dish. They only charged me the $14.99 each (no shipping). Not sure why they are charging you shipping. Talk to somebody from the DIRT Team and see what they can do for you.

Being the curious sort (and a Prime customer), and a little annoyed I couldn't remember the specifics, I ordered a $12 adapter from Amazon. Anyway, it worked fine in the Joey that previously had the Dish Bluetooth adapter.

I also plugged both into my notebook, and as I suspected, both were Broadcom BCM20702 based, but the one from Amazon reports as just BCM20702 and the Dish one reports as BCM20702A0. The hardware IDs were different, too - the Amazon one was USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8&REV_0112 and the Dish one was USB\VID_215A&PID_2001&REV_0112.

Both work fine in the Joey, but the Dish one will not load a driver in my notebook (actually I tried it on 3 very different ThinkPads with 3 different OS's - Win7, 8.1 and 10).

My guess is that most anything based on that Broadcom chipset might work in the Joey, though.

Being the curious sort (and a Prime customer), and a little annoyed I couldn't remember the specifics, I ordered a $12 adapter from Amazon. Anyway, it worked fine in the Joey that previously had the Dish Bluetooth adapter.

I also plugged both into my notebook, and as I suspected, both were Broadcom BCM20702 based, but the one from Amazon reports as just BCM20702 and the Dish one reports as BCM20702A0. The hardware IDs were different, too - the Amazon one was USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8&REV_0112 and the Dish one was USB\VID_215A&PID_2001&REV_0112.

Both work fine in the Joey, but the Dish one will not load a driver in my notebook (actually I tried it on 3 very different ThinkPads with 3 different OS's - Win7, 8.1 and 10).

My guess is that most anything based on that Broadcom chipset might work in the Joey, though.
Which one from Amazon did you get?

This is apparently something new with Dish. When I ordered my Bluetooth adapter for my Joey 2.0 last weekend, they said they used to be able to waive shipping fees (and even waive the cost of the adapter if they so choose), however, the system now makes them collect payment up front from customer credit card before an order can be placed in the system. Then, they can go back and credit your account if need be. Charlie is gonna get his money one way or the other ;)

Reactions: pattykay and pbbjr
Which one from Amazon did you get?

Oh, and UPS just emailed me....apparently I also ordered another one, the "Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista". Why? I dunno...I'm big into having spares. I honestly can't recall specifically why, sadly. But, at least I'll be able to report back on how it works with Joey, also.

I do have spare Joey that I only pull out to use via USB wifi adapter on the patio during football season (or replace one if one broke - which they never have)...I suppose I could use it on that one.

Sorry - I tried 2 or 3 times to put the link in, but the forum software kept flagging it as "spam like". Open Amazon and search for "Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter". It's also tagged as the #1 Best Seller in some category I'm sure they've carefully chosen so that they remain #1. :)
The other way is to open the link of the product you ordered on Amazon and look at the Product Information and post the ASIN since one can find the same product using the ASIN on amazon.com if all else fails.

This is apparently something new with Dish. When I ordered my Bluetooth adapter for my Joey 2.0 last weekend, they said they used to be able to waive shipping fees (and even waive the cost of the adapter if they so choose), however, the system now makes them collect payment up front from customer credit card before an order can be placed in the system. Then, they can go back and credit your account if need be. Charlie is gonna get his money one way or the other ;)
Yes, the same thing happened to me when I ordered my Wally from Dish. So, I cancelled my order through DIRT, and called the Office of the President to order the Wally and get them to credit the shipping and handling charge back to my Dish account.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Don’t laugh! I’m not 20 something raised with computers. My Joey adapter in less than 2 years? Corroded! Took me 2 hours 4 to five people to ask for new one. Why should I buy part tgats bad? I ‘lease’ their equipment. Less than 2 years adaptor is corroded? How that happen? Any suggestions? I’ve about had enough them messing my tv and not doing what promised 18 years ago! Help?