Joey connected by slingbox

jrizzi1

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
south bend
Here is the situation, I upgraded to a hopper with sling + 2 joeys last year. During installation, we realized one room did not have a coaxial cable connection. The installation tech said it would be impossible to run cable to the room, and ended up connecting the joey to he hopper via a sling connection. He mentioned to me that "this wasnt normal" but it has worked fine, so I never thought twice about it.

So, i came to ask, has anyone else done anything similar to this? And how many joeys do you think could connect via sling to the hopper? I have another room that doesnt have coaxial connection that i would like to put another joey in, I saw that I could do a wireless joey + adapter etc but it seems to me much cheaper to connect a joey using the sling

Anyways any opinions are welcome

A sling box or sling link?? Big big difference. I don't see techs giving away sling boxes and that wouldn't make sense for this anyways.

This is a possibility but not a supported one. It's just running through your home connection, which is a lot of data for a router to handle. Have you considered a wireless Joey?

Reactions: sethwell
its a hopper with sling but yes you are correct it is connected via a sling link

Today's Sling links or similar products do a very good job of transmitting the signal wirelessly. If it's working well I wouldn't change anything. However it is true a Wireless Joey would be what I consider the normal way to do it.

Reactions: ChadT41
so, can you have two sling links going at once to two separate joeys or do you think i will run into issues? wireless joey sounds great, but I thought I'd find out before spending $281.99 (what i was quoted for a wireless joey + wireless access point + a one time tech visit that i dont want)

a virtual joey would have worked as I have a PS4 but apparently they discontinued it?

Don't need a $95 tech visit, instructions come with access point, takes 5 min to set up. Bought WJ & Hub for less than Dish sells them for (Solid Signal sells new WJ for $69}. Got my wireless hub/access point from another customer on Amazon that was switching providers ($60 right now). Search around, might be able to find at a more reasonable price - if you own it then you can always resell. At the very least you can avoid the $95 service call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts