Joey Versions

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
How many versions of the Joey are there and how do they compare in speed?

I currently have a 2 HWS + 2 Joey setup. I want to get the new Hopper 3 when available but my main concern is the speed of Joeys. If the Joeys are still slow with the Hopper 3 then I might be happier sticking with my 2 HWS setup so both of my primary TVs work fast.

I think I have the "original" Joey. I thought I read once there is a "version 2" of this Joey that is faster. I also know there is the wireless Joey, 4K Joey (is it even released yet) and Super Joey. Are all of these Joeys slow or is there some combination that works best?

Edit: Just remembered the Virtual Joey.

Last edited:
The Joey2, formally called Joey CR is simply any regular Joey manufactured for the last year and a half. It has an upgraded processor over the original Joey, about twice as fast. Currently there is no way to request a Joey2 since the Dish System treats both as a standard Joey. That may change when the Hopper3 is released. All new Hopper3 installations will get the Joey2, don't know about upgrades yet.

Reactions: donebu
Interesting find I made at Netflix's website....

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23940

Model Supported Regions Resolution Subtitles & Audio
Hopper with Sling (XiP913)
Joey (XiP110)
Joey (XiP112)
Joey (XiP110CR)
Joey (XiP110W)

There's the "CR" model clear as day. I suspect that's the Joey 2 while the XiP112 is the SuperJoey. The "W" model is no doubt the wireless version.

When we upgraded from the Hopper 1 to the Hopper 2, I asked the tech about a newer Joey and he knew nothing about it. They would have been out 6+ months at that time as well and I asked if we could look at the ones in his truck and he let me. There was no reference to "2.0", "CR", etc. The only clue could have been the manufacture date.

Interesting find I made at Netflix's website....

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23940

Model Supported Regions Resolution Subtitles & Audio
Hopper with Sling (XiP913)
Joey (XiP110)
Joey (XiP112)
Joey (XiP110CR)
Joey (XiP110W)

There's the "CR" model clear as day. I suspect that's the Joey 2 while the XiP112 is the SuperJoey. The "W" model is no doubt the wireless version.

When we upgraded from the Hopper 1 to the Hopper 2, I asked the tech about a newer Joey and he knew nothing about it. They would have been out 6+ months at that time as well and I asked if we could look at the ones in his truck and he let me. There was no reference to "2.0", "CR", etc. The only clue could have been the manufacture date.
Good find Hall. It's kind of funny the Joey doesn't have the manufacture date on the Joey and on the box only. DISH must of really wanted to keep it under raps.

Reactions: stardust3
So the question still remains, how can you tell the difference between the the 110, and "CR"

I'm placing my bet on the software.
S395 is the 110
S487 is the CR.

Because in my experience the slow one runs S395.
Now the other question, How to figure out how to ensure you're buying a Joey 2.0?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

how can you tell the difference between the the 110, and "CR"

I'm placing my bet on the software.
S395 is the 110
S487 is the CR.
Yes, they seem to clearly run different software versions. Problem is, that's not known until it's installed and activated.

How to figure out how to ensure you're buying a Joey 2.0?
You can't.... Again, a possibility is if you can look at the box it's in and check the manufacture date. If was made in the last 6 months, it's a new model. If it was made 12 months ago, maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Do any of the Joey models include Bluetooth? I currently have a 2 hopper 1, 1 original Joey system. Went with 2 hoppers to get Bluetooth in the bedroom. I would love to upgrade to the H3, but would miss the Bluetooth support on the second tv.

So how does the speed compare on all of these models? I looked and I have the S395 version of firmware so I guess I definitely have the Joey 1.

How does the Wireless Joey speed compare? I don't need wireless but I will use it if it is faster.

Is the 4k Joey available? I don't need 4k either but I will use whatever is the fastest.

So how does the speed compare on all of these models?
There are specs published for the Joey 1 and Joey 2 and the 2 definitely has a faster CPU (2x the clock speed or close, but that doesn't make it 2x as fast). The fact that Dish is replacing Joey 1 units with Joey 2 units for customers who get a Hopper 3 says a lot about the performance, or lack of, with the Joey 1.

How does the Wireless Joey speed compare? I don't need wireless but I will use it if it is faster.
As I recall, the wireless Joey is pretty equivalent to the Joey 2 (CPU, RAM, etc).

Is the 4k Joey available? I don't need 4k either but I will use whatever is the fastest.
Safe to say it's the fastest of them all. But no, it's not available yet. There have been dates thrown around but I've been with Dish long enough to know that a date doesn't mean squat.

The labels on the shrink-wrap on my reman Joey 2 said Joey CR. Did not see the box but I suspect it was the same.

They said that was the "plan" for those upgrading to the H3 to replace old original Joeys with 2.0's.

Now what they "plan" and actual "do" are two different things. :D This is DISH we are talking about after all. :D

They said that was the "plan" for those upgrading to the H3 to replace old original Joeys with 2.0's.

Now what they "plan" and actual "do" are two different things. :D This is DISH we are talking about after all. :D
Which makes me wonder if it might better safer to just replace my Joeys with Wireless Joeys if there are comparable to the Joey 2.0.

Which makes me wonder if it might better safer to just replace my Joeys with Wireless Joeys if there are comparable to the Joey 2.0.
Hard to say, for some the WIreless Joey works good in peoples houses, others have trouble with them. Its all depending on their walls and how wifi goes through them.

The wireless Joey has a 900mhz processor vs 600mhz in the Joey 1.

I can't find any references to the "new" Joey (the version 2) unit anymore but do recall seeing specs at the time it was announced. It had a newer chipset, faster CPU, and possibly more RAM. The RAM part I'm not positive about though....

I could have sworn it was announced at the same time as the wireless Joey, so specs may be similar. The Super Joey came later and it as a 1300mhz CPU and double the RAM as the Joey 1.

The wireless Joey has a 900mhz processor vs 600mhz in the Joey 1.

I can't find any references to the "new" Joey (the version 2) unit anymore but do recall seeing specs at the time it was announced. It had a newer chipset, faster CPU, and possibly more RAM. The RAM part I'm not positive about though....

I could have sworn it was announced at the same time as the wireless Joey, so specs may be similar. The Super Joey came later and it as a 1300mhz CPU and double the RAM as the Joey 1.
I don't remember there being anything published about the JoeyCR. From what I remember is they stopped giving a 1 out and just slowly started putting the CR in only. As mentioned, never said anything about the difference in the 2.

Reactions: JSheridan
I can tell you for a Fact the Joey with the S395 software is dog slow.
The wireless Joey that I used at my buddy's house about 35 feet from His hopper. Was much much faster.

As is the Joey with s487 software, Triple the speed of the Joey with S395.

In a nut shell, If you have ever used s Directv C31 tied to an Hr34, it's worse then that.
Which is basically a POC.

The search functions are completely useless.
I've called dish 3 times on this matter, and they don't care anything about it.
Same as Directv didn't care about its poor equipment operations.

So I'm waiting for the 4K joey, and even though we don't have 4K, it's got to still be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)