Joey won't activate/won't leave screensaver/wont turn on

jbongiovi

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Utah
Okay, I've been lurking here for two days trying to find out what's wrong with my Joey. I don't think I've seen my exact problem. Forgive me if I've written a redundant post.

My setup is 2 Hoppers/3 Joeys. The upstairs Hopper links with the Master Joey, no problem. The basement Hopper sees and links to one downstairs Joey. The second downstairs Joey is the problem. Initially, it never got beyond the setup screen with something like 6 options listed on the left of the screen and the top two successfully performed (and the rest in red). The screen would just hang for over 20 minutes. In fact, it did so for hours. Initially, the Dish guy was here from 4pm to about 10:30 pm and it seemed he hooked up the Joeys before the downstairs Hopper had received its software upgrade (from what I've been able to glean from lurking). He finally checked in, found he shouldn't have hooked up either of the two downstairs Joeys, but one Joey linked successfully and was fine. But I digress, when he finally gave up (and he busted his a** trying to make things work), I was left with the screen I've mentioned above. I read here and at DBSTalk and tried the reset procedure described above. Nothing would happen. Same option filled screen would appear. Finally left it unpowered over night. I should note that he replaced the original prematurely started Joey with a new one and we ended up with this same problem.

The next morning when I plugged the Joey in, it went to the Joey screensaver. It told me to press SELECT to watch Live TV. Problem was the remote was not linked and pressing SELECT on they Joey did nothing. In fact, the power light on the Joey is off and remains off unless I try to reset it (with the above steps). In any event, I'm now stuck on the Joey screensaver and I don't know whether this is farther along than the option screen I saw first (since it doesn't respond to the remote). And I can't get the Joey to get off the screensaver. The relevant Hopper doesn't recognize it, actually no other device recognizes it.

I'm stuck and don't know what else to try. I've done the reset described above. I've red-button reset the Hopper and I'm now in the process of unplugging both the Hopper and the Joey for an hour to see what happens next. An hour from now, I'll plug the Hopper in first and then see what the Joey does afterward. I'm not optimistic.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Could be cabling, a bad barrel connector, perhaps a node, who knows?
Have the installer return, contact Dish or PM the reps here, be proactive.
They installed a Joey that does not work, make them fix it, it's their job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)