Joey2 turns on to the same channel every day

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Hello all
I have a Hopper 3 with 2 Joey2's in the house, and one Joey2 has acted weird for some time.
Regardless of what we watch the night before, whenever it gets turned on, it tunes to the same channel, 117 (which is usually showing ER in the mornings...). Every night we usually watch a local channel from the OTA antenna or some other dish channel, but not 117. We never watch channel 117 at night. Never

The receiver screen shows software version J201 3/12/2021.

What could be causing this?

EDIT - I just noticed that the POWER ON setting was set to "Tune to Smart Channel", and I changed it to "Tune to last tuned"

Hello all
I have a Hopper 3 with 2 Joey2's in the house, and one Joey2 has acted weird for some time.
Regardless of what we watch the night before, whenever it gets turned on, it tunes to the same channel, 117 (which is usually showing ER in the mornings...). Every night we usually watch a local channel from the OTA antenna or some other dish channel, but not 117. We never watch channel 117 at night. Never

The receiver screen shows software version J201 3/12/2021.

What could be causing this?

EDIT - I just noticed that the POWER ON setting was set to "Tune to Smart Channel", and I changed it to "Tune to last tuned"
There ya go, that will fix it.

That feature always puzzled me. You think default should be 'last channel watched"! Amazon Fire tvs do the same thing. Bezos thinks we watch nothing but Amazon Prime.

That feature always puzzled me. You think default should be 'last channel watched"! Amazon Fire tvs do the same thing. Bezos thinks we watch nothing but Amazon Prime.
Dish added the "Smart Channel" setting so that if you watch 1 channel most of the time the receiver will automatically tune to that channel every time you turn the TV on.
But I agree that "Last Channel" should be the default, then you could select "Smart Channel" if you wanted it ...

If "smart channel" is supposed to tune to channels that you watch a lot why does it tune to channels you NEVER watch. Before I changed it to last channel it would tune to CBS every time I turned on the Joey 3 and we never watch CBS, ever.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Clearly, olds403, you want bug-free software... :cryingBugs have been the de facto default with Dish just about forever.

• Wow
Reactions: sktrus
Clearly, olds403, you want bug-free software... :cryingBugs have been the de facto default with Dish just about forever.
Yeah, I am figuring that out. My old 722 was rock solid, I had it for 10 years and never had an issue with it. Since moving to the Hopper system I have had a lot more issues in the last 3 years.

• Love
Reactions: TheKrell
But I agree that "Last Channel" should be the default, then you could select "Smart Channel" if you wanted it ...
The only problem with that is if "Last Channel" were always the default, how many people would even know that "Smart Channel" was an option at all?

The other option for that setting is to always launch the Home screen whenever you turn the receiver on. However, with that option selected, it also automatically tunes the "Smart Channel" in the video window on the Home screen. So, it would be nice if the options were a little bit more granular, such as automatically launching the Home screen, but still leaving the "Last Channel" as the channel it tunes. It would also help if we had more options as far as customizing what appears on the Home screen, or at least rearranging the categories and/or icons so that what we actually use the most would always appear at or near the top.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)