Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Good game for Red Sox fans tonight. John Lester has thrown his first no hitter. Red Sox beat the KC Royals 7-0 this is only the 18 No Hitter in the history of the Red Sox.

Lester Pitches a No Hitter

John Lester just pitched a no hitter for the Sox.

Good for him. Even though I am not a Sox fan, I am a fan of the game and history. It is nice to see someone who just got through battling cancer to fulfill something that very few pitcher have ever accomplished.

Jason Varitek becomes the first catcher EVER to catch 4 no-no's.

2001- Hideo Nomo
2002- Derek Lowe
2007- Clay Buchholz
2008- Jon Lester

Tek has caught 4 no-hitters and not one of the pitchers is named Pedro, Schilling, or Beckett (Varitek never caught Clemens). What are the odds on that? I'm just soooooooooooo happy for Jon Lester, diagnosed with lymphoma less than two years ago, last year he wins the World Series clinching game and now this. WOW!!!

I am glad I have EI, without it I would not have been able to watch the game.

ESPN did show the 9th, but that was for just one inning and their PQ on Direct is not near as good as that on NESN.

I am glad I have EI, without it I would not have been able to watch the game.

ESPN did show the 9th, but that was for just one inning and their PQ on Direct is not near as good as that on NESN.

How do you have NESN without Direct ?, Isn't NESN a channel that D* has in HD ?

here's an even more impressive fact........what else do jon lester and justin verlander have in common? yes, they both pitched no hitters over the past 2 seasons. but they were both on my fantasy baseball team at the time they pitched them.

not a bad stat for a girl who loves sports, eh?

Good game for a diehard Yankee fan too. I'm so happy for Jon Lester.

This is one of the great sports stories of the year. From hearing those terrible words, 'you have cancer', to being back on the mound in the first place, to pitching a no-hitter...wow. Watching Francona hug Lester brought a tear to my eye.

I wish him many many years of continued success.

Sandra

Way to go Mr. Lester!! I'm so proud that someone who has battled cancer was able to accomplish both a World Series victory and now a no-hitter. :)

yes, i'm happy he's on my fantasy team. but if this isn't the feel good story in baseball (or sports) right now, i don't know what is.

yes, i'm happy he's on my fantasy team. but if this isn't the feel good story in baseball (or sports) right now, i don't know what is.

Not to steal Lester's thunder, but Indian pitcher Cliff Lee has a pretty hart warming story going himself.

Part of an article from a Cleveland's PD article....

Cliff Lee was in Class AAA Buffalo, N.Y., for seven starts at the end of last season, came back to Cleveland as a bullpen benchwarmer, was left off the Tribe's postseason roster and offered as trade bait during the off-season, he didn't lash out at the Indians or anyone else who lost faith in him.

"He simply used it as motivation to get back and prove that they made a mistake on him," said Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker.

Part of his coping ability, too, was knowing what real tragedy is, and that there is a difference between a minor setback and an earth-crashing catastrophe.

Tragedy was when Lee's son, Jaxon, was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 4 months old, an illness that led to chemotherapy, a stem cell transplant and more chemotherapy before the cancer finally was defeated. Or when daughter Maci was born three months premature, so tiny and fragile that she caused a world of worry.

Tragedy was not being relegated to the forgotten land in Buffalo - just a year removed from signing a three-year contract because he was viewed as a vital cog in the Indians' organization - while the Tribe succeeded without him.

"Last year was not awful," Kristen Lee said. "My family was healthy. He was healthy. Yes, he was having trouble pitching, but think about that compared to everything else in life. That is so minor. Sure, it's his career and it's our livelihood, but it's so minor compared to other things we've been through."

Kristen Lee even calls her husband's monthlong stay in Buffalo a needed "reality check" in their comfortable lifestyle, though she concedes that the four-game losing streak with the Indians, in which he allowed 26 earned runs in 20 innings, might not have been the best route there.

"The personal issues he's battled have kept this all in perspective," Braunecker said. "[But] he and I talked numerous times about it. I told him, 'The way you respond to it will determine your career.' "

What he did, then, was return to spring training healthy, win the starting spot over his former replacement, Aaron Laffey, and become an unbeatable force on the mound.

lots of sports figures have beat cancer or other tragic circumstances and continued to have successful careers. they should all be applauded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts