Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Really weird stuff I have never seen before. Message telling me to use the power button to shut down. Hit the windows key and my logon picture shows up. Lots of warnings from FAH. I'm on my old laptop running Win 10 now. Kind of strange LOL Trying to sort this mess out. My wife was trying to use the computer last night and it all went to s**t. The folding machine had all the FAH errors and no start button operation. My main machine will boot but will not change users.

Damn...

damn.png

My next suggestion would be to down load an earlier Nvidia driver and don't let it update to the newest one.

If you just had a Win 10 update, I would suggest downloading the Nvidia driver and reinstalling. If you haven't yet, turn off automatic updates for drivers.

How to Stop Automatic Driver Updates
To stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your drivers, you have several options. Note that the Local Group Policy Editor is not available to Windows 10Home users.

Control Panel
For this solution, you need to head into the System portion of the Control Panel. Right-click the Start button and select System. In the Control Panel sidebar, selectAdvanced system settings.

Control-Panel-System-Settings-640x215.png

In the System Properties window, switch to the Hardware tab and click Device Installation Settings.

System-Properties.png

You will be asked whether “you want to automatically download manufacturers’ apps and custom icons available for your devices.” Select No and Save Changes.

Device-Installation-Settings.png

Note that if it works, this setting disables all your driver updates.

Local Group Policy Editor
On Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions only, you can use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable updates entirely. Some users report that this is the only setting that worked for them. The advantage of this method is that you can also disable updates for selected devices only.

First, you need to collect the device IDs for hardware you don’t want Windows to manage for you. This could be your graphics or sound card ID.

Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager. Double-click the respective device, switch to the Details tab, and select Hardware Ids from the drop-down menu under Property. Using one of the values in the next step should be sufficient.

Driver-Hardware-ID.png

Now we’ll head into the Local Group Policy Editor to exclude these devices from Windows Update.

Press Windows key + R, enter gpedit.msc, and hit Enter. In your Local Group Policy Editor, head to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions. Here, double-click on the setting Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs.

Local-Group-Policy-Editor-640x332.png

Enable the Setting, click the Show… button, then for each device, enter its Value, and finally OK all your changes.

Prevent-Driver-Installation.png

Alternatively, if you would like to disable all driver updates, you can also Enable the setting to Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings. However, we recommend only blocking updates for selected drivers, as described above.

Reactions: KE4EST
Magic Static, any update on your Folding machines? I'm up to #6 daily Points in the team, so you know that can't be good...

I think what caused FAH to have issues was a failure on my ISPs part. I lost DNS service kind of. All static IPs on my LAN had no internet but all DHCP IPs were fine. F@H was unhappy and screwed up something in windows for a bit. But that was the straw that broke the camel's back. My wife came unglued on me ;) No more F@H for awhile. :(

I understand, she who must be obeyed must be obeyed :ballchain Hope to see you back here again. Curious as to how FAH could have screwed up Windows, CenturyLink is not the most dependable ISP in the world and I occasionally loose DNS services but that never caused any more problems beyond no connectivity. ('Splain that to Mrs Volts)

And that curiosity is not doubting you, I'd just like to know so I might learn from you and possibly avoid having the same problems.

Well I did confirm not being able to switch users until I shut down F@H. Then it was fine. Afterwards I did let F@H finish the units it had in progress, but did not try switching users during that time. It may have been a priority argument between windows and F@H. F@H was like "Just a minute I have to phone home" And windows was like'No! I want to shut down now! And the power struggle ensued leaving the computer user without ;) But like I said before, there was all kinds of things I have never encountered before and I did not take the time to study it. My wife needed the computer and that was first. There still may be something lurking around waiting for me to start F@H again. The folding machine did windows repair and seems to be fine. The wife was complaining of the heat and we are having a record hot spell this week. I can't believe I want to turn on the AC before the irrigation system.

Well, considering it snowed here the last two weekends, I'm welcoming the waste products of Folding proteins, but I understand that other parts of the country are actually enjoying Spring.

Come back and Fold when you can.