Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Here's a question for the mods: Now that there is a Forum dedicated to Computers and High Tech gizmos, would this thread be more appropriate for that Forum? Just a thought...

As many of us have suffered issues getting or uploading WU's i wasnt sure if everybody was aware of this page
Folding@Home server status

At the bottom of the page is the key but below are the ones i think that might help some of us, in some cases, understand why.

for example right now i am trying to upload a wu to 171.65.103.100 or 171.65.103.106 both are very busy with a netload of 153 and 83 respectively.

STATUS tells the state of the current server. "Full" means the server is in full operation, everying is ok. "Accept" means the server is only accepting WUs, not assigning. "Fail" means the server can't be reached by the stats system. "DOWN" means the server is down. "STANDBY" means that the server is not serving FAH WUs.

NETLOAD tells how busy the server is by netstat (i.e. how many current connections the server is handling). Too many connections (eg more than 30-40) means that the server is heavily loaded. Exceptions include the Assignment Servers which commonly exceed those values without difficulty (they can easily handle 80-120).

CONNECTIONS states the result of our serverstatus code to try to connection to the F@H server. If its "Accepting", it means that the server is alive and well and able to accept client communication (TCP connections). "Reject" means that the server should be up and accepting connections, but isn't. "Not Accept" means that the server is at standby and we don't expect it to be accepting connections (and it isn't). "OFFLINE" means that the server is offline for planned maintenance.

CPULOAD tells how many processes are running (in the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes). When this number gets above 2-3, the server is probably heavily loaded.

...for example right now i am trying to upload a wu to 171.65.103.100 or 171.65.103.106 both are very busy with a netload of 153 and 83 respectively.
My HP notebook just finished up a WU and the FAHLog.txt shows that it uploaded to 171.65.103.100 on the very first try.:up It may have been a busy weekend at the Stanford FAH CC and everyone was stuck in the queue.

Wow, way to Fold, SamPatterson & SatinKzo! You two are now Folding at over 3,000 points per day! I'm feeling the hot exhaust from your CPUs breathing down the back of my neck... Plus, we now have another six SatGuys Folding for the Team:
merco, jamesThurber, Tac, Wallacezepp, cybok0, and our newest member, wearmg. :welcome

With all of the new Folders and many of the top 10 kicking it up a notch, SatelliteGuys.US is now Folding at over 24Kppd! We are less than 24 hours away from being one of the top 500 Folding Teams Ever!!!

Last edited:
yeah, GJBbany. I still have some WU's stuck in queue from May 20th. I did notice some uploaded, but others are still sitting around. Every time I get a chance to look, the netloads are high on the servers I am not able to upload to.

Foxbat, I just noticed that Sam and I have been on a tear lately. Sam's is probably going to be more sustained than mine. I am playing with some new core2duo's at work and ran 2 console clients on them to test them out before deployment (Had bad luck lately with hardware dying shortly after deployment).

Also Welcome to all the new members! :) It's really cool to see how fast we are rising. I don't know when the team was started, but it's been about 2 months since I joined and following our progress is pretty fun considering some of the teams we pass have been at it a while.

My HP notebook just finished up a WU and the FAHLog.txt shows that it uploaded to 171.65.103.100 on the very first try.:up It may have been a busy weekend at the Stanford FAH CC and everyone was stuck in the queue.

Wow, way to Fold, SamPatterson & SatinKzo! You two are now Folding at over 3,000 points per day! I'm feeling the hot exhaust from your CPUs breathing down the back of my neck... Plus, we now have another six SatGuys Folding for the Team:
merco, jamesThurber, Tac, Wallacezepp, cybok0, and our newest member, wearmg. :welcome

With all of the new Folders and many of the top 10 kicking it up a notch, SatelliteGuys.US is now Folding at over 24Kppd! We are less than 24 hours away from being one of the top 500 Folding Teams Ever!!!

I have kicked it up a little lately. Go Team :)

Foxbat, I just noticed that Sam and I have been on a tear lately. Sam's is probably going to be more sustained than mine. I am playing with some new core2duo's at work and ran 2 console clients on them to test them out before deployment (Had bad luck lately with hardware dying shortly after deployment).
Hmmm, good idea, but I'm not the master of the firewalls/proxy servers at work, so I couldn't set up a connection to the assignment servers.
Also Welcome to all the new members! :) It's really cool to see how fast we are rising. I don't know when the team was started, but it's been about 2 months since I joined and following our progress is pretty fun considering some of the teams we pass have been at it a while.
I think Scott signed up SatelliteGuys.US on March 22nd, but I could be slightly off.

Show Us your Folders!

Since I'm curious how big of a Folding Farm SatinKzo and SamPatterson have at their disposal (not to mention Scorpion.sting, gbjgany, jgantert, newsjunkie, LER, & Tawhite, to name but a few), I'm asking the SatelliteGuys.US Folding Team to show us what hardware they are using to fold. I'll start off by showing the two main workhorses in action, my 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad and the HP 3.0 GHz P4 nx9600 Notebook. (The HP is positioned over the air conditioning vent to help keep it cool.)

Both machines run two Folding instances for a total of four CPUs. The Mac will finish up a Work Unit worth 1,440 points in approximately 34 hours, yielding an approximate 2,100 points per day (ppd) for the two clients. The HP takes anywhere from 3-6 days to finish the WUs assigned to it, with little rhyme or reason as to the number of points based on the time. It kicks in an extra 100-400 ppd overall.

Attachments

• P6110002.jpg
    P6110002.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P6110003.jpg
    P6110003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
oh man, do you realize how many pics I am going to have to take. :) I'll see what I can do though.

Most of my stuff is at work so I can't get a ton of folding out of them during business hours, but I wonder what my PPD would be if I could...

Anyways, I'll try to take a few pics today and tomorrow.

Ok here it goes with what I quickly snapped this morning... (had to edit these to reduce size for upload so sorry on qualiy of some of them)

Pic 1: My two old Dell Optiplex system (GX270 and GX280 both boot off CD overclockix and log WU data to my NAS storage in Pic 3). Both run linux console client
Pic 2: 1 of 2 laptops at home. One is pic is running Mandrake live (Mandriva linux off boot CD and also logs WU data to NAS in Pic 3) and runs linux console other laptop is one we just use for general quick browsing at home. Runs GUI client
Pic 3: network rack in storage room in basement of my house. On top is my NAS 750gig Raid 5 system
Pic 4: Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 4gig RAM system I got from a friend who won it in a raffle at his workplace. I added a X1950 PCI-e card with 512meg ram and run the GPU client in addtion to a console client
Pic 5: Wifes Compaq system (yeah yeah, but hers died and she needed a new one right away when I bought it, not a bad deal at $459 for a Pentium D 925, 4 gig DDR, 160gig drive, Vista home premium, lightscribe burner and 19inch LCD display) Anyways this runs 2 console clients
Pic 6: My work desk. In the pic you see 1 of the core2duo laptops I am playing with. Two D610's from dell and my programming development GX270 on the floor.
Pic 7: Dell poweredge server I resurrected from our retired pile. I was just going to run 4 folding clients on it, but then I had a need for the system and now it is a data logger/analyzer most of the day, so folding is only going about 50% of the time on it.

Also not pictured at work is another D610 laptop and GX series desktop.

House pics are a bit messy, with 2 little kids, we don't always keep it picked up so nice. :). I can handle a little clutter to spend more time with them.

Attachments

• img37.gif
    img37.gif
    307.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0138.gif
    IMG_0138.gif
    420.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0139.gif
    IMG_0139.gif
    507 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0140.gif
    IMG_0140.gif
    661 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0141.gif
    IMG_0141.gif
    443.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0142.gif
    IMG_0142.gif
    400.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0143.gif
    IMG_0143.gif
    782.1 KB · Views: 66
No pics here at the moment but this is what I have.

Computer 1 :

Dell XPS 400 with Pentium D 935 3.2 GHz (Dual Core) with 1 gig Ram running winxp smp client. This is the one I upgraded. It use to have a Pentium D 830 with 40 min frame rates but now I am getting 24 min frame rates.

Computer 2 :

Gateway GT 5420 with Pentium D 935 3.2 GHz (Dual Core) with 1 gig Ram running Windows Vista smp client. 24 min frame rates.

Computer 3 :

Dell Dimension 4600 with Pentium 4 2.66 GHz (Single Core) (No HT) with 512 megs Ram running winxp Graphical client. (Pooch)

Computer 1- AMD XP1700+
1.47 Ghz 768mb memory

Computer2- AMD Athalon 64 3500+
2.2Ghz 448mb memory

Computer 3- AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34
1.79 GHz 512 Mb memory

I have them set to no preference for deadlines

Updated Comp 1 Now sports a full gig of memeory
and Comp 2 has 1.5 gig
I set the preferences to standard, cut the back up to 30 minutes

Since I'm curious how big of a Folding Farm SatinKzo and SamPatterson have at their disposal (not to mention Scorpion.sting, gbjgany, jgantert, newsjunkie, LER, & Tawhite, to name but a few), I'm asking the SatelliteGuys.US Folding Team to show us what hardware they are using to fold. I'll start off by showing the two main workhorses in action, my 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad and the HP 3.0 GHz P4 nx9600 Notebook. (The HP is positioned over the air conditioning vent to help keep it cool.)

Both machines run two Folding instances for a total of four CPUs. The Mac will finish up a Work Unit worth 1,440 points in approximately 34 hours, yielding an approximate 2,100 points per day (ppd) for the two clients. The HP takes anywhere from 3-6 days to finish the WUs assigned to it, with little rhyme or reason as to the number of points based on the time. It kicks in an extra 100-400 ppd overall.

Hey Foxbat, Have you tried to only run one smp on the Mac instead of 2? I wonder if it would raise your points more and run more efficiently. Just a thought.

Hey Foxbat, Have you tried to only run one smp on the Mac instead of 2? I wonder if it would raise your points more and run more efficiently. Just a thought.
Nope, with one SMP client, I was completing 1% of a WU in 12m00s and the 4 Xeon cores were running at about 75% load. Adding the second SMP client slowed the completion rate to 1% every 20 minutes, which works out to a 12% increase in WUs completed over a time period. I once tried three instances, but it was pretty obvious that three was past the point of diminishing returns.

Maybe I should check out eBay for more points: Folding-community.org :: View topic - Buy FAH points on ebay

Nope, with one SMP client, I was completing 1% of a WU in 12m00s and the 4 Xeon cores were running at about 75% load. Adding the second SMP client slowed the completion rate to 1% every 20 minutes, which works out to a 12% increase in WUs completed over a time period. I once tried three instances, but it was pretty obvious that three was past the point of diminishing returns.

Maybe I should check out eBay for more points: Folding-community.org :: View topic - Buy FAH points on ebay

FAH points on Ebay....that is way to funny