Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Yep there's a thread about it, but it's not terribly helpful. So i wondered if others were suffering or just me, the WU were getting to 76% before bombing and what that thread says it will try the same wu 3 times before doing something else and you get no credit !
The SMP beta for Intel Macs had a similar problem with some pesky WUs. I found that if I canceled Folding at a point before the Cores exploded, then restarted them, they actually made it through the blow-up point. Now, I don't offer any kind of guarantee that this will work on the Windows version, but you might give it a try. The key is the WU failing at the exact same point. Causes could be stack corruption that finally pushes the Cores over the top at the same point every time. Starting at a point closer to the problem may mean the stack is cleaner, and the Cores can Fold through the problem area.

That's my theory, anyways...

Hey SamPatterson, welcome to the 100K club! I guess I lose my great parking spot now! ;)

I see the Team passed 3,400 Work Units completed! That's mighty impressive.

Well 2651 finished no issues so was a bad WU i think. Doing another 2610 so that will take a couple of days. Added my sons machine running the command line client so that will do some smaller WU's as he spends hours gaming on world of warcraft.!

I get lots of love for my AMD's. Dependent on a few variables of your machine. What is your full system setup specs? Do you have it configured to get Big WU's or Advanced ones?

On another note, I'm back to complete WU's backing up again and on top of that, it's taking me forever to get new WU's assigned. Lots of downtime today for me while I wait for for new WU's.

I get lots of love for my AMD's. Dependent on a few variables of your machine. What is your full system setup specs? Do you have it configured to get Big WU's or Advanced ones?

On another note, I'm back to complete WU's backing up again and on top of that, it's taking me forever to get new WU's assigned. Lots of downtime today for me while I wait for for new WU's.

Computer 1- AMD XP1700+
1.47 Ghz 768mb memory

Computer2- AMD Athalon 64 3500+
2.2Ghz 448mb memory

Computer 3- AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34
1.79 GHz 512 Mb memory

I have them set to no preference for deadlines

I just bumped up to the larger WU's, am somewhat apprehensive on the advanced ones .. My issue is that it only uses 50% of CPU power, its like its only looking at one of the 2 cores, if it would go all out, it could crank the WUs out on my system.

Athlon 64x2 5000
2 GB DDR-2 Ram

and later this summer when i put a decent Vid card in it, this little doggie should fly.

Suggestions on what i should do to maximize usage?

Bigtim,

Are you using the console client? If so, make another directory, copy the fah504-console.exe to it and then go to command line and run
(this is all assuming you are running your current client on core 1 (most likely)
fah504-console -local -config
answer all the questions and when you get to the advanced options answer yes, leave everything at defaults except for MACHINE ID, set that to 2.

With it set at 2, you will see 2 fah process running in task manager each at 50 % max.

I run a similar setup (64x2 5400 4 gig ddr2 ram) and yes with 2 cores running, you will start cranking out some WU's and pts. Also, make sure you have good cooling, it does increase heat a bit.\

Kevinw, I'm no expert in any way on how WU's get assigned, but maybe try setting some of your settings to allow WU's larger than 5mb (by default this is off). Also, you memory might be restricting what WU's you are getting.

Its an All In Wonder 9600. Every time I tried before it totally took my system down. Saw on the Folding forums that a new driver was out that was working. Of course once I installed that it said that it didn't see a card and I was back to 16 colors. Had to totally remove everything ATI from my computer and do the install again and it worked and I was able to get the folding client working too!

Hmmm, well crap. I came home from work to watch the shuttle launch and got my HP notebook set up before the launch as it was waiting to upload a WU. I knew the Mac Pro was not due to finish a WU until midnight, so I wasn't in a hurry to check up on. It wasn't until after the Atlanta was in orbit and my wife showed me tomorrow's "Honey-do" outdoors that I went upstairs to hop on the Internet and check on Folding stats.

Here comes the "crap" part of my story: There's my Mac, sitting at the Logon screen, instead of Folding away. WTH? I log in and check the FAH Logs and both files have an entry at 14:21 & 14:23 EDT, but no shutdown entries. There is no Panic Log entry, so the Mac didn't "grey screen" like it did the other day. Best I can tell, it's like someone logged me out of the Mac. Even that would leave some record, I would think. The system uptime and the system log both indicate the Mac rebooted at 14:24:48, but I am not sure why it rebooted.

So, six hours lost, and I'm lucky that the two clients started up at their last checkpoints so there was no loss of science. I'm Folding on the one instance so I can try to get it back on schedule and get my gap back to somewhere around 50% between the two instances.

That sucks foxbat. I have limited exposure to Mac anymore.

I bet Sampatterson is behind it! :) he's been cranking out WU's and pts lately, he's going to pass me here in a month or so, sooner if not for the core2duo systems at work I am testing stuff on and threw the console client on for a bit to burn them in.

Maybe my Mac just wanted some time off from Folding! I asked my wife if the power went out, but she was outside at the time and couldn't tell me one way or the other. Plus, none of the digital clocks were confused, so I don't think the power was to blame.

Being a Mac noobie, I've run out of things to check. I did find the location of the OS logs, but I don't know how to navigate a folder window there so I can examine the previous log files for clues and I'm not 'NIX savvy enough to know how to inflate the .GZ files to check the contents. The Windows admin in me wants the MMC! ;)

My Mac finished up another WU this morning and picked up the next WU without incident. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but getting tired of babysitting the Folding clients. I hope the next point release of the SMP beta addresses most of these warts.

Im hoping that the next release makes it more compatable with vista. Im actually working on a way to boot linux from a usb drive and run folding from there. I posted about it in the gadgets forum as the points that im pushing is way low and im folding 24/7 on my machine here

For whatever reason, i cant get the console version to run correctly on my system, so i am just running the fancy one with the visuals, oh well, It working i gues... maybe this weekend i will fire up my "old" machine and let it work on some using both the processor and graphics card..

its an Athlon xp2500, with a ATI 256mb graphics card and 1GB ram. It could actually do better than my dual core...except it runs hot on occasion, so i cant really run it non stop if i am not around...

What errors are you getting with the console version? I run the console version on pretty much all my systems except the GPU console client. The gpu client has some flakes and such that cause it to terminate when doing normal windows tasks. I had to write a little vbscript to check if it is running and to start it if it is not.

I have no problems with it on Linux, XP, Vista, Server 2003, server 2000. If you can post some log info or error info, maybe I can help.

goaliebob, there are some F@H linux distros out there. I run overclockix on one of my machines it works pretty well.