Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Did you guys see we just passed the Microsoft team? And we're a few days away from passing Scott's old Team, SIRIUS backstage. "The student is now the master..."

Yeah, the Folding Forum has reported that more and more people are running the Windows/Linux SMP client so the servers handing out these WUs are backing up. The new server I'm burning-in was hung up for a day or so with the 0.0.0.0 server issue. It's back on the job now. :)

And another shout out to randalla for making it into the 100K Club!!! :up :up

Thanks Foxbat, I had not been monitoring this thread but I was monitoring the stats page. Finally broke 100K. This team rocks!

Let me be the first to congratulate SatinKzo for being the first of our Team to crack 600,000 points! I think it's going to be lonely for you in the 600K Club, SatinKzo, as there are only three other Folders within 150K points of you, but more importantly, you'll be in the 700K Club before anyone else makes it to 600K.

More people must be Folding, or more Quad-cores are online, because now we're averaging over 40K ppd! (over 47K in the last 24 hours!) :up :cool:

Thanks!

I don't know how long my current production will continue since I am using some new machines at work that could be needed for production and office work at any time. Although I think I am going to add a new ps3 when the come out at $399 since the wife and kids want a BD player upstairs.

I don't know how long my current production will continue since I am using some new machines at work that could be needed for production and office work at any time.
I hear that. The Quad Xeon server I'm burning in is slated to be deployed this week, so I'm going have my ppd slashed by 1,600-1,800 or so. :(

Gotta love these new Xeon boxes, though. Even though it's been crunching at 100% CPU for days on end, the Xeon's heatsink is still not hot to the touch. Kudos to HP for a great cooling design! This server replaces two 2U Dell servers with a 1U box that has more processing power than both of the old boxes, holds 6 - 2.5" 10K SAS drives, and supports up to 32GB of memory, more than 3 times the capacity of both of the older boxes. That's one less Windows license, too, and one less box to reboot each month. ;)

I don't want to jinx it or invoke Murphy, but I'm pretty sure the SatelliteGuys.US team is going to have our first MegaPoint month! We're at 950K with four days left in October! Way to Fold!!! :up

I don't want to jinx it or invoke Murphy, but I'm pretty sure the SatelliteGuys.US team is going to have our first MegaPoint month! We're at 950K with four days left in October! Way to Fold!!! :up
It's official! We've Folded a little over one million points in October!!!
:up @party :up @party :up @party :up

Folding ought to be sweet on this: Penryn Arrives: Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Review

Also, during the night, SatelliteGuys.US passed Scott's old Folding Team, SIRIUS backstage! I'm sure Scott didn't think that the SatelliteGuys would pull that off in 7 months!

Finally, we're projected to break into the Top 200 in less than two weeks! Woo-hoo!

Last edited:
Well I took the dive and upgraded my personal machine.

Old ---> New
X2 5600+ ---> Q6600
MSI K9N SLI Platinum ---> Asus P5K-E
7600GT ---> 8800GT

I'm an AMD guy at heart, and I've never used an Intel in a homebuilt rig, so this is new ground for me. But the price of the Q6600 was just too sweet to pass up. Should be up and folding next week!

Awesome, awesome, awesome job guys on folding over 1 million for this month. :up

Well I took the dive and upgraded my personal machine.

Old ---> New
X2 5600+ ---> Q6600
MSI K9N SLI Platinum ---> Asus P5K-E
7600GT ---> 8800GT

I'm an AMD guy at heart, and I've never used an Intel in a homebuilt rig, so this is new ground for me. But the price of the Q6600 was just too sweet to pass up. Should be up and folding next week!

Awesome, awesome, awesome job guys on folding over 1 million for this month. :up

Welcome aboard! I'm an AMD guy too but to be honest I haven't tried any Intel CPU in years so don't really know how good the new ones are.

Welcome aboard! I'm an AMD guy too but to be honest I haven't tried any Intel CPU in years so don't really know how good the new ones are.

I know from experience that the duos are incredible CPUs for the money, though the X2s beat them at the sub-$150 price range, but I've never gotten the chance to play with a quad. I know how good they are on paper, but I am excited to find out how good they are in real world applications.

I know how good they are on paper, but I am excited to find out how good they are in real world applications.

I love my Quad, its amazing! Its great at video encoding as long as the software uses threads properly. PS3Video9 works amazingly fast!

I don't game, so I don't know how well it does there. So far no complaints. I just got the cheapo Acer, and its very quiet. A nice change of pace from the very noisy homebrew computers I used to have. :)

the sig (below) i assume you are referring to, yes it may have, it hasnt got my last wu from 7 am pst today.
I've noticed that sometimes the image is cached by my browser (FF), so I right-mouse-click, select View Image, refresh it, and that seems to fix it.

Extreme Overclocking has been registering all day, so I don't know what might have gone wrong. It looks like our Team jumped four places in the last 24 hours, 11 in the last week.
Added one of the $399 PS3's to my group today. Some of the wal-marts are putting them out early apparently.
I thought about stopping at our Wallymart to see if they had some out, too. Engadget says the 40 GB $399 model has the cooler-running 65nm Cell processor. Let us know if how well it Folds and if it gets very warm.

Let us know if how well it Folds and if it gets very warm.

Well in 1 day, it folds just the same as my previous model. It's not noticeably quieter (my 20gig PS3 is not loud to begin win even when folding) and I guess it's a little cooler. It's still gonna add some heat to a room if it folds all day. But right now that is ok with me, it's getting cooler outside! Maybe this summer, I'll have to turn the new one off (it's upstairs, other is in the basement HT room where it never gets overly warm in the summer)

Hmm, well, now Engadget is reporting that the 40GB PS3 is NOT sporting the 65nm process version of the Cell processor, but the same 90nm process chips as the rest of the PS3 lineup. However, Sony says the cheapest PS3 still cuts energy usage by a third.

No 40GB stock at our local Target. I was looking at all the accessories, though. I see I would need a special cable to connect a PS3 to the component inputs in my HDTV plus a special remote to use the DVD/BD player. Any other "surprises"?

Folding-wise, I see whatever points I may have lost from shutting down the HP Quad Core Xeon have been picked up by 5thfreedom and his new Quad + SatinKzo's new PS3. SatelliteGuys.US is now over 47,000 ppd!

Disappearance - 103 W AMC1/Spaceway 1/DirecTV 10/DirecTV 12

Software Update Coming