Joined the Android clan today

This phone does so much compared to my last (non-smart) phone. I think it is way more capable than my first desktop computer.

If I forget to kill my map app (google app) with GPS, after I use it the phone battery will be dead in 4 hours. If I use the Task Killer to kill that process the battery will last 3 days. Tested this 4 times since I got my Blaze (Comptiva Droid 1.6) No one will convince me with words that ATK is not needed. You have to show me. :)

If I forget to kill my map app (google app) with GPS, after I use it the phone battery will be dead in 4 hours. If I use the Task Killer to kill that process the battery will last 3 days. Tested this 4 times since I got my Blaze (Comptiva Droid 1.6) No one will convince me with words that ATK is not needed. You have to show me. :)

You can exit that application without needing to kill it, but you are right if there is an app that is using the GPS the battery will drain pretty fast.

Why don't you just disable the gps? If the software you have requires gps to be on ALL THE TIME, that would be the first thing to be deleted.

You can exit that application without needing to kill it, but you are right if there is an app that is using the GPS the battery will drain pretty fast.

No. No you cannot exit the app. There's a ton of options but exiting the app isn't one of them.

And disabling the GPS nullifies a ton of other apps I use. having to enable and disable the GPS every time I want to use a GPS enabled app is not an option (for me).

No. No you cannot exit the app. There's a ton of options but exiting the app isn't one of them.

And disabling the GPS nullifies a ton of other apps I use. having to enable and disable the GPS every time I want to use a GPS enabled app is not an option (for me).

Really. When I had my Android phone, I was able to exit the app without having it always keep the GPS on. There was not one application that I used that kept the GPS going all of the time.

When I go back home, the GPS is supposed to disable, but it doesn't always. Sometimes (many times) it stays on. The map program always stays on until I kill it. The Navigation program is much better at exiting/ending the process so I use the maps in it more often. But since the map program has more layers (so I can find restaurants and other places of interest near me) I like to use it too,

I think the one-button toggles usually only work on rooted phones. Otherwise, when you hit the toggle button, it simply takes you to the Settings menu for the GPS setting.

And is that widget from Google ? I thought it was from someone in the CyanogenMod crowd.

I think the one-button toggles usually only work on rooted phones. Otherwise, when you hit the toggle button, it simply takes you to the Settings menu for the GPS setting.

And is that widget from Google ? I thought it was from someone in the CyanogenMod crowd.

Those widgets worked great on the HTC EVO and came as a standard widget. It enabled and disabled functions without having to go into the settings.

No, it is on my wifes unrooted hero as well. She now has 2.1, but if I am not mistaken, it was there at 1.5 as well.

The widgets that HTC supplied did have direct access. The "power control widget", the one that combines multiple toggles into one 'frame' is the one I'm referring to that needs root.

The widgets that HTC supplied did have direct access. The "power control widget", the one that combines multiple toggles into one 'frame' is the one I'm referring to that needs root.

That is the one she is using without root.

No, I used that widget with 2.1 Android unrooted.

The widget is from google, but it might not exist on a 1.6 phone. Indeed, it probably doesn't.

Ok, sorry for any confusion. I never had any exposure to this "power control widget" until I rooted and later, until I switched to Cyanogen-based ROMs.

Can you get it from the Market ? A search for the above term doesn't return it.

I always remember people who dropped the SenseUI wanting one-touch toggle widgets and they were generally not available or at least not replacements for all of them HTC provided. And then, the GPS widget(s) req'd multiple clicks (not an on/off toggle). In fact, search "gps widget" and look at the one from "Rounded Labs". They say:
Quickly toggle gps (2 clicks instead of 4) blame google for no 1 click toggling on gps!
That's what I remember from many months ago... Bad info ?

I will look at my wifes phone tonight and see what I can find out. I know she has it, and has had it for a while, but I will find out for sure how she got it.

My Desire came with an Android widget called Power Control that allows you to change settings for wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, synchronization, and screen brightness. It also came with an HTC widget called Setting that allows you to toggle Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile Networiking, and wi-fi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)