Joining DishNetwork and DTV Streams to one Coax

Status
Please reply by conversation.

user92626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Is it possible via some sort of switches, splitters, joiners, etc?

The same frequencies are involved so no. you can diples satellite and OTA but not two feeds with overlapping frequencies.

What about using ONE receiver type (either Dish or DTV) at a time? Logically a smart STB should know how to use to right dish, eh?

What about using ONE receiver type (either Dish or DTV) at a time? Logically a smart STB should know how to use to right dish, eh?
Please design a smart set top box, I'm sure both DISH and Directv will grant you use of their patents so you can do it.:) :) :)

boba, lol
With all things that a receiver does like picking up the right sat, agp, I thought it'd be possible, and it's not hard to do what I suggest -- the box just need to identify a channel that exists on one network but not the other and sends "control signal" to!!!! And I don't think Dish and DTV want to mess with it since there's no business in it for them. But we as customers are paying the cost, though, of having to run so many ugly coaxs thru our properties, besides many dishes up there.

The switchgear is incompatible even without considering the receivers. The only way to reasonably combine the two is through a very complicated QAM based MDU system. I doubt that either provider would be willing to consider such a situation.

Sigh...sorry, it's all about business, nothing is complicated, and business is often done with short sight, short term gains, instead of efficiency, long terms. I remember 5 years ago I wanted 4 room dtv, they had to install 2 identical 18" dishes. Today, one dish with a switch accomplishes the same thing and more.

The concept is there. I wish there's a market for a small single dish that is upgradable as more sats go up, smarter receivers and switches. Come to think of it, the technology used in satellite is being worked on for years, even decades, they should be able to see things in advance. That'd reduce landfills and redundant work.

boba, lol
With all things that a receiver does like picking up the right sat, agp, I thought it'd be possible, and it's not hard to do what I suggest -- the box just need to identify a channel that exists on one network but not the other and sends "control signal" to!!!! And I don't think Dish and DTV want to mess with it since there's no business in it for them. But we as customers are paying the cost, though, of having to run so many ugly coaxs thru our properties, besides many dishes up there.
There are options...Get cable..You can hide all the coax in your attic..Or good old rabbit ears...Until a wireless soloution is invented, coax is the only way to go...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts