JPEG to PDF

fayrich

Old Fart
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2004
CLEVELAND, OHIO AREA
Wondering if anyone has found a JPEG to PDF converter that works well and is actually free and not just a free short term trial. Appreciate any help anyone can give.

Wondering if anyone has found a JPEG to PDF converter that works well and is actually free and not just a free short term trial. Appreciate any help anyone can give.

I remember I found one on-line, free, about a month ago,

Now let me see if I remember what was the website's name......

I’ve never been a fan of online converters. Who knows if they archive everything that is uploaded and for how long.

At work we use CutePDF Writer as a Print To PDF option. During the install they try to get you to download WeatherBug or some junk, but you just cancel or decline it.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

If you have Windows 10, a PDF Printer is included. Also if you have Adobe Acrobat you can Print To PDF and they have a nice Chrome Extension as well.

Reactions: DWS44
Kind of a long story, but to try to keep it short---we have a deal thru the dropped State of Ohio health care coverage for retirees that for a specified period of time that we can get re-imbursed for medical expenses thru a third party. For example I scan a paid bill to my computer, but it does it as a JPEG file. And this third party service will not take JPEG. It must be PDF. Was able to convert my first submission the other day, but was done with a free trial converter that would require purchasing after 2 uses. Hence my question. Thanks guys.

Whoa! So these documents contain personal information? No way in hell would I touch an online converter. You're not just putting trust and faith into an unknown site that your uploading personal information to, who knows how good their own security is. They may not do anything with your data, but if they happen to get breached...

Get CutePDF for free, upgrade an old computer to WIN10 for free, buy the same el cheapo $99 HP OfficeJet that I get for people at work that can scan documents into PDFs, do anything but use one of those damn online converters. If you have access to any big multifunction printers anything modern should be able to do PDF. The big Konica Minolta's we have at work can scan and convert to PDF about 2 dozen pages a minute when using the top feed. Our 10-12 year old Sharp that's on it's last legs can even scan to PDF.

Yep, if you'll handle personal info, you'd rather use something other than online converters.

I have a HP printer scanner (not expensive) that allows scanning to several formats, including JPEG, PDF, etc.

You may want to look into the option of getting the software mentioned above or consider if you would have use for a printer/scanner to handle your documents with personal info at home.

Install GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). I'm currently running version 2.8.10 which supports about 40 input formats and it will export to any of those formats as well, including PDF. This has been a staple for Linux users for years but there are versions for Windows and OS X as well. Download it here: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ :)

Will your scanning software allow you to specify a PDF file instead of a JPEG? The HP software I use does.
I was thinking the same thing, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Have not yet needed the 2nd item. Will be using my printer/scanner today, so will check it then. Then as others have cautioned, will not have to use one of the online converters. Thanks again all.

This illustrates the importance of telling us your goal and not starting with what you've figured out to get you part way down a wrong path.
You're right. Lesson learned. Especially since there was no real need to rush into this. Found the path to change the default, but could not at that time because I was not connected to the printer.

I use a free photo utility called Irfanview for playing with my pics. I've been using it for years and have never been disappointed with it. I just opened a jpeg of a babe in a bikini, saved it as a pdf, opened it with Adobe Reader and she looks great. I use the full version with plugins.
http://www.irfanview.com/

There are many ways to skin the cat, but if you're scanning (as opposed to dealing with digital photos), it is usually best to scan directly to PDF as most modern (since the turn of the century anyway) scanning software supports it. In that way, you can avoid some of the lossy compression side effects involved in JPEG or lossy TIFF conversions that impart a noticeable fuzziness to text.

Depending on the volume of documents you may save a whole lot of time by not adding conversion steps to the workflow.

An additional benefit that you may get from direct to PDF is that you usually have the option of making the text of the PDF "searchable" through an automatic OCR process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)