Jumping the Dish ship for DTV

bratboy

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2005
Denver CO
Am going to switch to DTV as Im tired of waiting on Dish to add more HD and the monthly cost. Anyway my question is after they turn off my Dish acct on the 15th will I still be able to finsh watching stuff I already had Dvr'd while I wait for the return boxes. I have like 9 kyle XY episodes and some other shows with several episode saved/already recorded and wondered if I had to get them watched before dish shuts off or will I still be able to access them.

Thx in advance
J

Just remember you're contracted for 2 years if you make the switch and stuck with their sorry DVR. Remember, Dish has 2 more satellites going up this year (total of three) and will be caught up with most HD channels eventually; hopefully by the end of the year. D* can keep their HR20 and HR21's.

Just remember your contracted for 2 years if you make the switch and stuck with their sorry DVR. Remember, Dish has 2 more satellites going up this year (total of three) and will be caught up with most HD channels eventually; hopefully by the end of the year.
2 more satellites?? Which ones?
D* just launch D11,its 4th HD Satellite. Spaceway1 102.8, Spaceway2 99.2, Directv10 102.8 and now Directv11 99.2. And talks of Directv 12 for 2009.

Just remember you're contracted for 2 years if you make the switch and stuck with their sorry DVR. Remember, Dish has 2 more satellites going up this year (total of three) and will be caught up with most HD channels eventually; hopefully by the end of the year. D* can keep their HR20 and HR21's.

I've seen a number of people that have posted their thoughts on the HR20/21 after they switched and weren't sorry about the DVR. And remember what happen with the recent satellite launch for E*. So you can get HD now or hope you'll get it eventually.

I made the switch to D* and have a hr20-700 and it works just fine thank you. I have more HD, Better looking SD and even the HD looks better. Less motion artifacts. And no more "SOON"! And don't count your stellites until their up and working. The last one is yet to be where is needs to be, and do they know if it will work when/if it makes it to the proper orbit? I think many like myself don't want empty promises of what is to come "soon". We wan't the most HD we can get NOW. And don't forget BSG starts this week on ScifiHD, which E* still does not have.

I made the switch to D* and have a hr20-700 and it works just fine thank you. I have more HD, Better looking SD and even the HD looks better. Less motion artifacts. And no more "SOON"! And don't count your stellites until their up and working. The last one is yet to be where is needs to be, and do they know if it will work when/if it makes it to the proper orbit? I think many like myself don't want empty promises of what is to come "soon". We wan't the most HD we can get NOW. And don't forget BSG starts this week on ScifiHD, which E* still does not have.

Well said. I just switched as well, and the hr21 has given me no trouble what so ever. It is different and the vip series from E*, but not AWEFUL like all the E* boys say it is.

Amc-14 thats one. ,we all see How that worked out. So there's one not doing anything anytime soon. EchoStar 11 is the other one. Sky Angel???. They must be counting that. Well atleast E* may get 1 satellite up with a 15 year lifespan. Outlook is real grim looking I'd say.

Hemi. I saw in the pub that you may leave Dish and Direct?? I understand why you want to leave Dish. The Direct part puzzles me. Is it because they do not carry your locals in hd??

Hemi. I saw in the pub that you may leave Dish and Direct?? I understand why you want to leave Dish. The Direct part puzzles me. Is it because they do not carry your locals in hd??
Because of neighboring locals and the Premiums with D* are limited,and I'm still paying the same price for these premiums as Cable,and Fios. But have alot less.There was a time when Satellite was better ,But I'm not so sure it is anymore. Cable besides HD has gotten way better with its programming offerings and price. I love Satellite TV , But I don't like paying too much for limited services. Lets just say if D* didn't have the HD they have ,I most likly would have dropped them. And the only reason I haven't dropped E*, is because everytime I try they give me free stuff. I pay like $20 per month for E* I get HD Only pack for free. I pay $6 for my 211 and $6 Super Sation pack,and $10 for All American Direct. I have nothing against D* ,They been good! E* has done really nothing but Piss me off since day one. I don't like their Website,Customer service, Fee's ,VIP211, and VOOM. But IMO they are worth keeping for 3 more months for $20

I've seen a number of people that have posted their thoughts on the HR20/21 after they switched and weren't sorry about the DVR. And remember what happen with the recent satellite launch for E*. So you can get HD now or hope you'll get it eventually.

I have both a 722 with E and an HR21 with D and I have no beef with the HR21. They are rolling out software weekly improving on it's functionality. Anyway for me it's programming not receiver.

Yeah well I think Dish will have just as much HD as Direct will folks are making more out of this than what needs to be. But hey go with what you want.. :)

HR20/21 are good units.. So are the Dish Units.. I just don't understand why everyone puts the D* units down. Both mine work perfectly. They record on time and don't miss anything. The only thing I wish they had was PIP like my 622's do.. But other than that I can't find any fault.. I don't want a unit that works in two rooms.. My 622's are in single mode always.. My HR20/21's are made for one room anyway. So I don't have any problem.. Mostly the people that say that DirecTV's HDDVR's are junk are either Dish FanBoys or they have never had one and are going strictly on what they read on here. I love both my Dish System and my DirecTv systems. It's all relative to what you want and need and maybe just what you are used to.

Mark, when the HR20's first came out they ranked right up there with the 811 on the POS meter. But with all the fixes and new features that D*'s added it's a good box, even Scott says it's good after he got his original box replaced which did have issues. Is it perfect, nope, but from looking at posts about bad HDMI ports, blue screen hangs, etc the E* boxes aren't either.

And yes, the D* boxes don't do PIP, DLB or TV2 outputs, but then the E* boxes don't have the VoD library that D* has, the Media Share feature either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)