Raleigh-Durham, NC
WTVD-TV Channel 11

Fresno, CA
KFSN-TV Channel 30

Flint, MI
WJRT-TV Channel 12

Toledo, OH
WTVG-TV Channel 13

Does anyone know if customers must have a waiver to get the distant network feeds from LA and New York? The feeds I am refering to are HDFOX, HDCBS, and HDNBC

teknophyle said:
Does anyone know if customers must have a waiver to get the distant network feeds from LA and New York? The feeds I am refering to are HDFOX, HDCBS, and HDNBC

If you are in a white or an O&O area you are supposed to get a blanket approval. Otherwise you have to go through the offical waiver process.

FYI: FOX-HD is not on air yet. We all got a special taste for the MLB programs.

charper1 said:
If you are in a white or an O&O area you are supposed to get a blanket approval. Otherwise you have to go throught the offical waiver process.

FYI: FOX-HD is not on air yet. We all got a special taste for the MLB programs.

So if you are in an O&O area and you call DirecTV and ask them to add HD TV feeds of CBS and NBC how would they know if you really had HDTV? I mean you could lie just to get the distant network feeds without the waiver. If so that would mean there is a trick to get the LA and New York stations.

teknophyle said:
So if you are in an O&O area and you call DirecTV and ask them to add HD TV feeds of CBS and NBC how would they know if you really had HDTV? I mean you could lie just to get the distant network feeds without the waiver. If so that would mean there is a trick to get the LA and New York stations.

Everything is based on your billing account info/zip code. You area is already defined for them, and they clearly know what affiliates are owned & operated by the network. So no chance!

D* hi def locals...

Hi guys, I am a satellite guys virgin..please be gentle. Very cool informative site. i have learned alot a few days. I was going to go with E* but after reading all the horror stories with the service and equipment i have decided to go with D*. My question i guess is..if i get the local channels with my package will they be sd or hd? If I have to get a ota antenna to pull in the locals in hd why should I shell out the extra $5 amonth for the locals? Also where is the best deal for a new D* customer? Thanks again for the help. Snaggerbob

i would, well it depends on location, but I have noticed some affiliates only "turn-on" during HD programming or "go black out" at night. for $5 have the backup. or if you only have a 4x3 set you can watch full screen non-16x9 shows on the SD offering without zooming or without bars.

Fox in HD is coming soon if you live in an area where fox is locally owned you will get it free as you can with cbs and nbc /if not owned you can still apply for the waiver/ after spring of next year this will be a moot point when we start transmission of lcl's in HD and a larger HD format of programs with the launch of spaceway bird

Just a comment. I live in Chicago and receive ABC HD via OTA. I was not impressed with Monday Night Football in Hi Def. No comparison to the World Series on Fox HD. I know that Fox was broadcasting in 780p, and my guess is that ABC must be broadcasting in 480i or 480p. I just wish I could get Comcast Sports Net in HD (they have the channel but Direct TV doesn't).

Call you local affiliate and ask them. The ABC/ESPN/Disney network is producing the NFL games in 720p and it looks great. Is your affiliate broadcasting in HD or maybe low power?

rss79 said:
Just a comment. I live in Chicago and receive ABC HD via OTA. I was not impressed with Monday Night Football in Hi Def. No comparison to the World Series on Fox HD. I know that Fox was broadcasting in 780p, and my guess is that ABC must be broadcasting in 480i or 480p. I just wish I could get Comcast Sports Net in HD (they have the channel but Direct TV doesn't).

ABC/ESPN boradcast in 720P is MOST cities just like Fox does now. Your local ABC affiliate may only be broadcasting in 480p but that is not the norm...

My ABC also broadcasts two extra sub channels - and it looks like crap here in Phx AZ (my best picture is Fox or CBS.) I don't see WHY a station needs to broadcase a 480i version along with their HD version, a pointless waste of bandwidth.

rss79 said:
Just a comment. I live in Chicago and receive ABC HD via OTA. I was not impressed with Monday Night Football in Hi Def. No comparison to the World Series on Fox HD. I know that Fox was broadcasting in 780p, and my guess is that ABC must be broadcasting in 480i or 480p.
Well I just put my OTA ant. up about a week ago, and have watched a handfull of shows from our Chicago broadcasters and it all looks great to me. I have watched NASCAR on Ch. 5.1, and football on 7.1. I think that both look great.

Since it was mentioned earlier I'll ask, Whats the deal with Ch. 7.2, and 9.2 for that matter?

7.2 seems to just be streams of crap that isnt worth to be shown on regular TV, and 9.2 is the same as Ch. 9.1 but in 4:3 AR from what I can tell.

My OTA antennae is in my attic, as it has been for 12 years. Maybe having a 12 year old antennae is the problem. All I can say is that I noticed a big difference watching Fox HD for the World Series and Monday Night Football on ABC HD. Actually, some of the best HD I have seen lately has been the Tonight Show with Leno...surprised the s**t out of me, to tell you the truth.

I wonder if its the age or not. I'd make sure you got it pointed as close to the proper direction as you can. You may want to check out AntennaWeb.org to verify you are rotated to the proper degree.

If you want to grab a new ant. Radio Shack has good ones at decent prices. I put one up in my attic and pulled down the Chi. locals HD with OUT an amp.

Quick question:
Whats a Sox fan doing so far up on the Northside?

riggscm said:
Since it was mentioned earlier I'll ask, Whats the deal with Ch. 7.2, and 9.2 for that matter?

7.2 seems to just be streams of crap that isnt worth to be shown on regular TV, and 9.2 is the same as Ch. 9.1 but in 4:3 AR from what I can tell.

7-2 is ABC NEWS Now NEWS 24-hours

9-2 the video is the same but the audio is in spanish

If your local ABC station is owned by Belo (as ours is) they convert it to 1080i before sending it out. Not bad for the people with 1080i sets. But for those of us with 720p sets it gets reconverted to 720p and looks l horrible at times...especially during onscreen graphics on MNF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.