Just a Clue, Fox-hd is back up in engineering mode on Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Aww sorry :( But this is actually correct.

Unless you're in an O&O (something that the networks have granted not releated to shvera) or have DNS you cannnot get the networks in HD.

I know that. I have an approval from my local CBS and ABC stations from a waiver request in August to allow me to get the distant network CBS and ABC, including the CBS-HD channels.

I was told that the new law states that if I get local channels provided from Directv then there's no way I can get the distant network ones. All I want is the HD distant nets since I can't get my OTA HD channels reliably.

yeah the new law does state that if you have locals available from your sat provider that you're ineligible for distants, but I thought that if you got them before the new law you could keep them. So I guess you cant get FOX and ABC but you shouldn't loose the others. I guess you could move to an area that D* does not have locals.

Either way I was surprised by this. I didn't think the digital distants were ironed out by the FCC yet and I thought that the fox stations were another dealed signed on by the network including O&O and DNS.

Neutron said:
:mad: Great. I've been told by Directv that because of the new SHIVA reauthorization I'm going to lose my distant network HD channels I already have (CBS as of now, ABC whenever it would go online). I was told that because of the reauthorization D* couldn't even submit waivers to get these.

This is coming from a CSR in their HD eligibility dept.

I can't get any of my local stations in HD reliability because of how my townhouse is situated to the tower locations. I'm in the perfect spot for the D* satellites just not the towers.

UPDATE: I was just told now that there's nothing I can do. I can't talk to my local station about this nor can I talk to D*. No one can do anything. So much for this helping those who can't get a reliable OTA HD signal. Not very happy about this. :mad:

Do you already have waivers? If so, you should be fine, as people with waivers will not lose them(unless the station themselves want to revoke them). Several people in the know seem to confirm this.

rkr0923 said:
I thought you HAD to have your locals before you could get the DNS.

No, in fact, most people got waivers precisely because locals were not available. Particularly before D* rolled out a lot of locals in June 2004.
AFAIK, the waivers are grandfathered for the new regulations. If you had them in place on the day that the law was signed, you should be able to keep them.
Neutron, I would hold off on calling D* for the next 90 days or so and see how it shakes out. You might be pleasantly surprised. (I was told by D* that I would lose DNS when my locals, Albuquerque, came up, still rocking with both. In fact, ABC had previously denied my request and granted them on a re-request after ABQ hit D*(and I was moved from Pegasus).)

AIA_SMALZ_11 said:
I live here in Tampa FL, a O&O market by Fox and I do not get either 88 or 89. It's on my guide but no feed. Do i need to call DirecTv to have them activate it for me?

You should call them. Right now my local station is WTVT-DT in Largo and I do indeed have Fox HD NY but not LA. Never had to call so you might have to call if your local Fox is WTVT which it should be.

For what it's worth I've got them up on both channels. I also receive E&W of both CBS and NBC. I "live" in a white area not served by any locals tho I do receive Nashville locals from D*. Should I be receiving the distants in HD? I also receive the distants on both E&W in SD for all networks. As it stands I get the Nashville locals, the E&W coast feeds of all networks in SD and the E&W coast feeds of the HD networks carried by D*. Do I stand a chance of losing these with the new laws? As of midnight last night they were all working fine. From reading around it seems some have been told they will lose them.

88/89 on here as well. Chose not to take locals off dish, but take national feeds in hopes they would add fox/abc. keeping my fingers crossed

I currently have both SD locals and HD E&W feeds. Could I be able to cancel my locals in hopes to keep my E&W HD channels? If I have to lose my E&W HD channels, then it's bye bye D* for me!! I live in an area which is just out of reach via antenna for HD feeds. My biggest thrill for me with D* is that I can get the major networks in HD.

Tommy

Is the "engineering mode" that Fox HD is in right now the reason for the sound being so far off? The guy on tv gets through speaking before you even hear anything.

cotybroussard said:
Is the "engineering mode" that Fox HD is in right now the reason for the sound being so far off? The guy on tv gets through speaking before you even hear anything.
As of 9:23AM CST channel 88 FOX-HD NYC is fine on my STB and no audio problems.

This was last night that it was like that. I did not try it today. When I go home for lunch I will check it out. I just didn't know if it was going to be like ESPN commercials and look like they are dubbed.

I was able to briefly check to see if I got this channel and I am happy to say I do. I saw about 2 minutes of that show House last night. It seemed fine to me.

1 more major network left, Let's go ABC!

I am curious about the channel numbering. 80/81 cbs, 82/83 nbc, 88/89 fox, I assume at some point abc will be either 84/85 or 86/87 but what will be the other 2 unused channels? Any chance of WB or UPN down the road?

House is what was on last night when I checked it and the sound was at least 3 - 4 seconds delayed. If it still that way today and all of yours is ok, does that make it a problem with my reciever?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)