Just a few Dish questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
I am helping my buddy decide on a new provider and had a few questions I could not answer for him. I believe on dish you can have the "autohop" feature only on shows recorded thru prime time anytime, if you have ptat turned off and you record a network show on your own, will it still have the ability to autohop the next day?? Does dish have something similar to Dtv's 30 second skip feature, and if so what is it??? Can you set up your own guide so you only see the channels you want to see and no others?? With ptat turned off you have 3 tuners max, so if you are watching a show you can record 2 others, is that correct?

I am helping my buddy decide on a new provider and had a few questions I could not answer for him. I believe on dish you can have the "autohop" feature only on shows recorded thru prime time anytime, if you have ptat turned off and you record a network show on your own, will it still have the ability to autohop the next day?? Does dish have something similar to Dtv's 30 second skip feature, and if so what is it??? Can you set up your own guide so you only see the channels you want to see and no others?? With ptat turned off you have 3 tuners max, so if you are watching a show you can record 2 others, is that correct?

Hey there! The Auto Hop is only available through Prime Time Anytime at this time. The Hopper does have the ability to skip forward 30 seconds, as well as our other DVR receivers. Yes, you can set up multiple guides each with their own individual channel list. If the PTAT is turned off, in general, you have the option to record 1 and watch 2, record 2 and watch 1 or just use the tuners to record all 3. Even if PTAT is turned off, anytime you are recording something from the four main networks ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. All the other networks are open for you to record off the same tuner. This does not enable Auto Hop. I hope this answers all your questions!

Last edited:
DISH calls it "SKIP" it is 30 sec forward or 10 sec back. Favorite channels sounds like the guide feature you are questioning. With PTAT off you have 3 tuners unless you add the OTA module, and later this year the Super Joey will add 2 more satellite tuners to the mix.

You only need to enable PTAT for one night. Doing this will allow any other programs recorded on the big 4 the rest of the week to take advantage of the autohop feature. this would also go for OTA channels if you use decide to purchase the module.

And yes, you can set custom guide lists. Up to 4 if I'm not mistaken.

In addition, if he needs more tuners, besides getting a second Hopper if he waits for awhile DISH has the new Joey that has two extra tuners.

In addition, if he needs more tuners, besides getting a second Hopper if he waits for awhile DISH has the new Joey that has two extra tuners.

The great thing about second Hopper one can keep PTAT on for one Hopper and access those recordings from the other Hopper :)

Better, it provides a back-up. However I can see for some the new Joey would be a good solution.

In addition to the 30 sec. forward skip and the 10 sec. reverse skip, I program a macro into my remote that does 5 quick forward skips totaling 2 min. 30 sec. the average commercial time. With one press on my remote, it's almost like Auto Hop for any recorded show. What's surprising with the Hopper and Joey's is that it actually does one, 2 min. 30 sec. jump. Not five, 30 sec. jumps.

In addition to the 30 sec. forward skip and the 10 sec. reverse skip, I program a macro into my remote that does 5 quick forward skips totaling 2 min. 30 sec. the average commercial time. With one press on my remote, it's almost like Auto Hop for any recorded show. What's surprising with the Hopper and Joey's is that it actually does one, 2 min. 30 sec. jump. Not five, 30 sec. jumps.
Wonder what networks/shows you watch? :) I see more of a 3-3.5 minute commercial usually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)