Just activated an H10 Receiver - Owned vs. Leased???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Patrick G.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
I just hooked up a DirecTV H10 receiver that I recently purchased on eBay (it came with an access card). Seller has 100% feedback rating in case it matters. Before hooking up the receiver I did pull out the seller's access card and replaced it with one of mine from an older receiver I no longer use. When I called to activate the H10 receiver, I was simply asked for the Receiver ID. I provided it and he activated it for me. I then told him I was getting an "Invalid Access Card" message or something similar on screen. I told him I had removed the seller's card and replaced it with mine. He told me to simply put the seller's card back in, and once I did, all was well. He then asked me where I got the receiver - he said "from a friend?". I said, no, on eBay. He then checked something and stated the receiver was currently listed as "leased" and that the seller would have to call DirecTV directly and state that it is now "owned". I asked if that's all there is to it, and he said yes.

Now, I'm expecting the seller isn't going to do this for me because in his auction listing he stated that he was selling the unit for a friend, and although he guarantees it works, he knows nothing about them and otherwise is selling "as-is". I'm expecting that the seller is not going to call DirecTV for me, nor is his friend. So, is there a way around this? What happens if I just do nothing and continue to enjoy my new receiver?

One thing which will happen is that in a few months you probably won't be able to receive any HD programming. The MPEG2 HD channels were recently mirrored in MPEG4 and soon will disappear altogether. The H10 is not capable of viewing MPEG4. You should continue to get SD and OTA HD, however. Hopefully you got it at a very good price. Depending on how they have it entered on your account, you may be eligible for a discounted upgrade to a MPEG4-capable receiver.

One thing which will happen is that in a few months you probably won't be able to receive any HD programming. The MPEG2 HD channels were recently mirrored in MPEG4 and soon will disappear altogether. The H10 is not capable of viewing MPEG4.
Which more importantly means you can't view 90% of DirecTV's HD channels today. (or whatever the exact percentage is)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)