Just an FYI for NJ Comcast Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tvfan24/7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
On July 17 Comcast will be moving CMT and ESPN Classic to Digital Cable channels 146 and 265. They will no longer be available on analog cable. Also for those on the Comcast of Plainfield system, BET J will be moved from analog cable to ch.174. All of these channels will be available with a subscription to the "Digital Classic" package.

This move is probably to clear up some bandwidth for new services and what I want most of all, some new HD channels like UHD,MHD etc. :)

Yeah I also noticed that they now have a Game show network on analog (I believe a lower channel) and Digital (around channel 170ish) I also noticed the second CMT. So maybe they will get rid of the analog Game Show Network too. I also read a news release that WWE 24/7 will be launching to coinside with Summerslam which I believe is Aug 24th.

NYRANGERS said:
Yeah I also noticed that they now have a Game show network on analog (I believe a lower channel) and Digital (around channel 170ish) I also noticed the second CMT. So maybe they will get rid of the analog Game Show Network too. I also read a news release that WWE 24/7 will be launching to coinside with Summerslam which I believe is Aug 24th.

What they are doing is forcing people who don't want to buy digital cable to get it so they see the channels that they want. Is this progress? I think not. Not fair to soemone who doesn't want or cant afford digital cable.

Ron

They are doing it mostly to help free up bandwidth. One analog channel takes up the same space as 10-12 digital channels I believe, so it's a no brainer. Also, I believe that some of these channels may have come up for contract renewal so its possible that a new deal was worked out, so as such, less desired channels like ESPN Classic would be moved to Digital Classic, so that the cable companies only have to pay for all those that subscribe to Digital Classic, and not all of them like if it was on analog.

Tvfan24/7 said:
They are doing it mostly to help free up bandwidth. One analog channel takes up the same space as 10-12 digital channels I believe, so it's a no brainer. Also, I believe that some of these channels may have come up for contract renewal so its possible that a new deal was worked out, so as such, less desired channels like ESPN Classic would be moved to Digital Classic, so that the cable companies only have to pay for all those that subscribe to Digital Classic, and not all of them like if it was on analog.

Very well said. I did a report on Sports and Television for one of my Sport Management classes and I had to get basic info about cable and thanks to a Comcast Supervisior I spoke with on the phone I learned that every TV line has 99 channels but once put into a digital converter each of those 99 analog channels can hold up to 14 digital channels. Thus freeing up bandwidth for more channels.

And in my town Comcast has seemed to have an identity crisis with the Game Show Network. It was a low channel then I think it moved to channel 96 then back to a lower channel and now they are putting it on digital. As I mentioned in other threads I can care less about most new channels but since I got and HDTV I just want more HD Channels. And ESPN-U wouldn't be bad either.

Moving channels to digital increases badwidth. This is a better solution for the cable company. Its Win-Win. They don't have to pay money to go out and upgrade their equipment and if they have a die-hard ESPN Classic or a die hard GSN customer then he/she might upgrade service.

The 12 MHz will be used for one or more of the following:

1. Higher Internet speeds
2. Up to 12 Digital channels or up to 2 HD channels
3. More VOD streams
4. Combination of all the above and maybe some other YTD services.

markjrenna said:
The 12 MHz will be used for one or more of the following:

1. Higher Internet speeds
2. Up to 12 Digital channels or up to 2 HD channels
3. More VOD streams
4. Combination of all the above and maybe some other YTD services.

It might do the things yuo say, but i'm correct about it effecting people who don't want to upgrade. I told everyone where I work what the cable companies are doing and they are all pissed. They don't want to upgrade to digital cable from their analog service. They all feel they are paying enough and don't want to pay anymore

Never have that problem with sat. for it's always been all digital.

I personally don't care for as you can tell I don't have cable.

Ron

Tvfan24/7 said:
Still haven't lost the analog CMT and ESPN Classic on the Comcast of Ocean County (Brick) system. Wonder when it'll be removed?

That is kinda weird. It is 2 different systems since Manahawkin is Comcast Toms River systems. I guess that is sort of a boundry line because where I work at in Lakewood has Cablevision.

CMT (38) and ESPN Classic (67) were finally removed from the analog cable lineup today. They're now only on their new digital locations of 146 and 265.

Also WNJN was moved from ch.15 to ch.23 and WXTV was moved from ch.23 to ch.15. This I heard was because WNJN requested that their channel be on ch.23.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)