Just back to Directv from Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joesbar

Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
SC
Just got back to Directv yesterday. Installer came out while my wife was home and she said he did a great job. Looking at everything last night, and more tonight, things have changed alot since my old Philips Directv. Looks like they no longer need dual tuners, although there are two tuners on each DVR (HD24-500) and just a single on the other box. Boxes seem very fast, and picture looks great in HD. Multiroom seems to be working on one box, but not the main one. I can watch anything on one DVR in 3 rooms, but the main one in the living room I can't see on the others. There are no network cables, and I haven't been under the house to see how everything is run. There is only one coax cable going to each receiver, and the one in the living room also has an ethernet cable. I've looked at the manuals, nothing really there. I did make sure the multiroom is enabled on the one in the living room and made sure the names weren't the same for both DVR's. Multiroom is setup on my account, but do I have to do it for both receivers?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

just curious, why did you switch. I am debating switching myself. I currently have DISH VIP622 and have been very happy with it. I have had for 3 or 4 years years. I love the Dual Tuner plus integrated OTA tuner, The DVR is great. The only reason I am thinking of leaving is the only channels we watch are not in HD anymore, Disney, and MASN. and I kind of disgusted with how they do the channel lineups, We have Turbo HD bronze. we had Disney but no Nick, and we If I wanted my local sports I have to upgrade to a new programming offer plus pay additional $7.

just curious, why did you switch. I am debating switching myself. I currently have DISH VIP622 and have been very happy with it. I have had for 3 or 4 years years. I love the Dual Tuner plus integrated OTA tuner, The DVR is great. The only reason I am thinking of leaving is the only channels we watch are not in HD anymore, Disney, and MASN. and I kind of disgusted with how they do the channel lineups, We have Turbo HD bronze. we had Disney but no Nick, and we If I wanted my local sports I have to upgrade to a new programming offer plus pay additional $7.

It sounds like you just made your own case for switching. I recently did it because of MRV, new customer offers to get a second DVR (beats paying the same thing just to owe Dish $17 a month for the privilege another DVR), better sports offerings, more in HD that I want and the picture quality is quite a step up from Dish, especially on the 1080i channels that Dish Network downrezzes. I originally went with cable due to basically no startup costs, but they ruined that for themselves by having horrible service while ripping up my entire street to hook up a new building full of condos. I am happy with DirecTV and I never was with Dish.

As for the original post, I don't believe that the main receiver should be using ethernet if the others aren't. I am pretty sure that using ethernet will disable the DECA module built into the box and doing MRV over coax won't work that way. You have to call in an specifically be allowed to do MRV over ethernet because it is not supported. The boxes are supposed to be networked to each other using the coax and the ethernet should not be used as far as I know. I am no expert, but that is how my system is wired. Try disconnecting the ethernet and rebooting the receiver.

Last edited:
Don't hook up the ethernet cable. Try restarting the living room receiver and see if it works. That's what I did and it works fine now. I used the remote to restart or it.

Ok JoesBar try this. 1st if your having issues with the Multi Room or the other HD Receiver not seeing your HD DVR or any kind of error about the play-list on the other HD Receiver. You should always try doing a reset on your Swim Adapter 1st. This way you don't take a chance loosing your settings on your receiver when you do a reset on them.

So find your Swim Power Adapter it should have two coax cables plug into it and it will be black with a green light on top letting you know it has power so forth. 1st unplug both of the coax cables from the Swim Power Adapter. 2nd Unplug the Swim Power Adapter and wait until the green light goes off this way you know it has powered down. 3rd once it has powered down then plug it back in. 4th Then just plug your coax cable back in make sure to plug them back in the correct location on the Swim Adapter. That should do a rest on the Swim Adapter so now go back to all of your receivers make sure the Multi-Room function is working along with the internet as well if you had that hooked up with your DECA.

Ok JoesBar try this. 1st if your having issues with the Multi Room or the other HD Receiver not seeing your HD DVR or any kind of error about the play-list on the other HD Receiver. You should always try doing a reset on your Swim Adapter 1st. This way you don't take a chance loosing your settings on your receiver when you do a reset on them.

So find your Swim Power Adapter it should have two coax cables plug into it and it will be black with a green light on top letting you know it has power so forth. 1st unplug both of the coax cables from the Swim Power Adapter. 2nd Unplug the Swim Power Adapter and wait until the green light goes off this way you know it has powered down. 3rd once it has powered down then plug it back in. 4th Then just plug your coax cable back in make sure to plug them back in the correct location on the Swim Adapter. That should do a rest on the Swim Adapter so now go back to all of your receivers make sure the Multi-Room function is working along with the internet as well if you had that hooked up with your DECA.

Poke,
Just doing a simple Reset on your recvrs will not erase your recording or any setting.
There are ways to do that, but thats not one of them.

Last edited:
Ok. But resetting the Swim Adapter will fix some things as well.

Ok. But resetting the Swim Adapter will fix some things as well.

You are absolutely right .... resetting the SWiM will correct several errors.
I wanted to point out that using the Recvr Reset would NOT delete peoples recordings with out getting into other settings to do that

I canceled my Dishnet, rates went up so cut back and seem to be the same for less and duel room reciever was screwing up a lot anyway even after battery-change so got out-side antenna and the HD is so far better than Sat. however the networks are so LEBERAL and BIAS that i want to puke. Got 2HD DVR recievers that i've had for almost 4yrs. but no dish but have dish turbo-dish and wondered if a SL3PIG-P LNB would work or would be better for directv to just put all new stuff in?

midwheeler

You are absolutely right .... resetting the SWiM will correct several errors.
I wanted to point out that using the Recvr Reset would NOT delete peoples recordings with out getting into other settings to do that

Cool thanks for the info! ::)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts