Just born into FTA! How to get started.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pomernman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Hey everyone! I am totally new to this FTA stuff. What little I do know is from reading the forums here. Thanks! I live in SC and currently have Sky Angel (SA) but with them ending satellite service I am looking at the FTA way. I am not to techno-savvy so please be patient if I am a little (lot) slow.

Just a couple questions:

1) I've looked at Sadoun & Global Communications equipment but I get confused (motor/no motor, recievers, LNBFs). Any help with package recommendations? Cost hopefully under $400 (if I can install myself-which leads to next question).

2) My SA dish is installed with pole in ground. Is it ok to just remove current stuff and replace it with new? I don't think it should be to hard other than the alignment.

I am considering Glorystar but would like more Christian programming and news than what they have.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!!!

Some one else can fill you in with news, whether you can just use KU or if you will need C band. There is a good amount of Christian programing on Glorystar. There are several channels that have a good variety of programers. Church channel has a mix and there is one - I believe from S.Africa - that has a good mix also. TBN and Daystar each have my favorite programs, but I am a little radical - and for several good reasons - but on this site that discussion is to be left in the pit!
I think with a motorized you will be able to get news stations. I am going to motorized for that reason, myself.
POP

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am totally new to this FTA stuff. What little I do know is from reading the forums here. Thanks! I live in SC and currently have Sky Angel (SA) but with them ending satellite service I am looking at the FTA way. I am not to techno-savvy so please be patient if I am a little (lot) slow.
welcome :wave

1) I've looked at Sadoun & Global Communications equipment but I get confused (motor/no motor, recievers, LNBFs). Any help with package recommendations? Cost hopefully under $400 (if I can install myself-which leads to next question).
a fixed system will get one maybe 2 satellites and that's it. A motorized you can scan the arc up there for whatever you can find. Unlike Dish/Direct/Sky Angel that is concentrated on one or 2 satellites there are around 25-35 satellites up there that have everything from religious channels to network channels to sports to ethnic to just oddball channels. You should be able to get a great system under 400.00 and install isnt really that bad. Check out the sponsers at the top. If you feel comfortable installing stuff then you shouldnt have any issues. And if you do, we're here to help :)

2) My SA dish is installed with pole in ground. Is it ok to just remove current stuff and replace it with new? I don't think it should be to hard other than the alignment.
nah it should be fine. As long as the pole is plumb (level all around). Even the slightest off even will result in issues when the motor moves the dish.

I am considering Glorystar but would like more Christian programming and news than what they have.

I would get a motorized setup. Once you see what else is out there you'll be happy you did :)

Hey everyone! I am totally new to this FTA stuff.

Start by reading FIRST TIMERS section here:
Choosing a Free to Air (FTA) satellite system1

A motorized system will give you better coverage of the satellites. How many TV you want to hook up?

If your main concern is the Christian Channels on AMC4 and Galaxy 25, I would also recommend a stationary system with the Monoblock Duo LNBF like the S-1Mono. for one TV or upgrade to the KLB2 Dual LNBF for multiple TVs.

reusing Sky Angel pole

The little 20" dish you have for Sky Angel (possibly 18") doesn't take much to hold it.
And its location only needs to be such that it can see the bird at 61º West.

With a motorized system, you'll have a 36" dish (recommended over smaller).
And that motor weighs a couple of pounds.
Both hang off one side of the pole.

There are two minor concerns:
- that your pole doesn't flex one bit with the weight of the motor/dish
- that the dish can have clear view of the satellites as it rotates

For the first concern, you might want to consider a larger pole diameter.
For the second consideration, you might need to relocate the pole.
Neither is a big deal, but planning ahead keeps ya from pulling yer hair out.

Last thing to help ya with your sanity is this...
It's a lot to learn to get your receiver going for the first time.
So, consider just aiming at any one bird and getting some practice for a couple of days, before doing the full install of the motor.

Welcome aboard! - :hatsoff:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and I will take it all into consideration. I think you all gave me a good start on where to proceed and what to be aware of. Many Thanks!!

I like to ponder things so it may take me a little while to decide unless I just call a local installer (a little more $). I can tell them what I want and let them deal with it.

Hey with this tax rebate coming this may be a good way to put my money to work.

Beware...... Most local installers do not have knowledge of true FTA or carry inventory on FTA equipment. They will usually try to steer you towards a subscription service on which they will receive a commission.

You might find this free installer referral site useful when locating an installer with FTA experience. http://www.FTAinstall.com

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and I will take it all into consideration. I think you all gave me a good start on where to proceed and what to be aware of. Many Thanks!!

I like to ponder things so it may take me a little while to decide unless I just call a local installer (a little more $). I can tell them what I want and let them deal with it.

Like Brian from SatelliteAV mentioned, many satellite installers only know how to install DirecTV or Dishnetwork type systems. If you are paying an installer by the hour and he has to fumble with the motorized setup, you'll end up forking out a bunch of cash for the installer to learn how it is set up. In the event you have any sort of troubles with the motorized setup, you won't have any idea as to how to correct the situation, and you'll end up paying another installer to spend a few hours to learn how it works too. Being self sufficient is a good feeling for free-to-air. You're not relying on anybody else to be around if you have any troubles.

I installed my own motorized setup, and I read the whole manual of the Stab motor before installing it. I made sure that the angles were bang-on, and I managed to track the entire arc on my first try. I took it slow and easy. If a big storm happens to blow my FTA setup out of whack, I know that I can fix it myself :)

Both SatelliteAV and Sadoun are great people to deal with. I've personally dealt with both. If you're looking to buy equipment online, consider both of them.

Like Brian from SatelliteAV mentioned, many satellite installers only know how to install DirecTV or Dishnetwork type systems. If you are paying an installer by the hour and he has to fumble with the motorized setup, you'll end up forking out a bunch of cash for the installer to learn how it is set up. In the event you have any sort of troubles with the motorized setup, you won't have any idea as to how to correct the situation, and you'll end up paying another installer to spend a few hours to learn how it works too. Being self sufficient is a good feeling for free-to-air. You're not relying on anybody else to be around if you have any troubles.

:) ......skip...

Both SatelliteAV and Sadoun are great people to deal with. I've personally dealt with both. If you're looking to buy equipment online, consider both of them.

A big ditto to that post. If you buy from one of the GOLD Spopnsors at the top of the page, you will help them help pay for this site! Someone else will not have the hundreds of experts that you have on this site to walk you through each step.

You can do it - without the extra outlay of cash! --- Then join the PUB with some of the money you saved!!;);) That gets rid of the extra ads! And it helps to keep this site running, also.

You can do it. We can help!

Thanks again for the words of advice! I will consider the sponsors and that if I go with the local help to make sure what they cover and that they know what they are doing. It just seems that it is going to take time.

One question on doing it on my own (or two).

How long does it take to install?
Can one person do it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
yes one person can do it. What some of us do is take the receiver and a little TV out to where we are working on the dish. Then you dont have to rely on a second person to tell you when there is signal :)

A basic fixed system will take 3 - 6 hours for a novice to install. Preprogrammed systems with step by step instructions can make the job much easier, but this extra assistance is not necessary if you do a little homework before tackling the installation.

Some ways to simplify the install:
  • Decide in advance what satellite you will aim for. See The List
  • Determine the strongest transponder to place the receiver on to identify optimize the dish aiming. See The List or ask one of us Satellite Guys!
  • Download the aiming coordinates and perform a thorough site check to determine the best location for the dish mounting, where to route and secure the coax cable and grounding. See GeoSatFinder
  • Have a small TV to place beside the dish so you have instant feedback on the dish aiming.
  • Patience .........

Its really not that hard to set up a dish. As long as you have a good set of wrenches, a little tv and your reciever, its manageable by someone with little to no mechanical skills. I started out as a very green newbie, and with the help of everyone here, got my dish up and running in no time. We're here to help, and believe me, the knowledge you gain by setting it up yourself will help down the road when you need to fix something or want to add a new piece of harware.

It is not that difficult to install a dish for the first time. I started out on a single fixed dish and now have 2 fixed dish's. My next step will be a motorized dish (got the motor from sadoun yesterday). Bottom line is make sure your pole is plumb (both before and after you put the dish on it) and that there is no play in the dish after you get it setup. After that (at least for me) everything seemed to fall into place.

Also this is a gold mine of information, I know I spent a lot of time searching for answers.

CAUTION: If you are like me and do this, I have found myself standing and or sitting in a lawn chair - then I start to channel surf with a big grin on my face! Depending where in the yard I am, passerby's and neighbors might see! :)

yes one person can do it. What some of us do is take the receiver and a little TV out to where we are working on the dish. Then you dont have to rely on a second person to tell you when there is signal :)

You all are awesome! I'm not one to do this chat/forum stuff but you sure could get overwhelmed by what one asks and what others post. I'm thankful that satelliteguys have such a great site to help us all out with our questions and for everyone involved assisting us rookies.

How is the quality between getting a motorized package like from sadoun or the package from glorystar? Satellite size? Receiver quality? Is the new glorystar receiver tops or is the sadoun receiver better. Same with the dish. I'm still debating on which direction to go.

I think both still push the Fortec Star Mercury II FTA receiver. It's on my top three list.
Both have similar motors.
Both will sell you a nice 36" dish (which is a better choice over a smaller one).
Both have a plethora of LNBs to choose from.
Both have web sites with dish-aiming and motor-setup instructions.

Check their package prices for a little better deal than individual pieces.
Both will really appreciate your business.

I've shopped several times with both, and called both companies.
I don't think you can go wrong.

Now, if you want some specialty hardware, let's talk about what you are looking for.
For instance, if you were looking for the 2-LNB Glorystar solution, vs motorized, then I'd ask what your major use will be for the system...?
...and who the users will be?
If Granny just wants her religious programming, then it's obvious.
But, if you want a wide variety of programming, including feeds, then either guy will set you up with a nice motorized package.

I just went from fixed dish to motorized last weekend. While the process is still fresh in my mind, one lesson of going from fixed to motor might save you some time.
1. Sure as you say "plumb" is most important.
2. Following closely the instructions from the menu or sadoun is as important.
I paid close attention to the above two, but another pitfall is that with two elevation settings, one on motor and one on dish, although I followed the tables the accumulation error of the two maybe big enough to have you not be able to lock on any sat. I spent quite a bit of time to sweep the whole setup east west and got nothing. The lesson is that one or two rounds of east west sweep is enough. If you don't get anything out of it, the elevation angle is off. Increase or decrease the elevation on the dish maybe 1 degree at a time and I instantly got a signal lock. In a fixed setup, the elevation angle could be initially set more accurately since there is only one. Usually I could get the lock (may not be optimum) during the first azimuth sweep. Making the same assumption on motorized system did get me frustrated a while until I started to adjust the dish elevation.

It is not that difficult to install a dish for the first time. I started out on a single fixed dish and now have 2 fixed dish's. My next step will be a motorized dish (got the motor from sadoun yesterday). Bottom line is make sure your pole is plumb (both before and after you put the dish on it) and that there is no play in the dish after you get it setup. After that (at least for me) everything seemed to fall into place.

Also this is a gold mine of information, I know I spent a lot of time searching for answers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)