Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I didn't receive it yet but its on the way. Which software revision is recommended? I'm not sure if it will have hackerware on it or not.

I've read so many good reviews on this receiver that I couldn't turn down the offer. We'll see if the Coolsat can beat out my Fortec Merc 2 in blind scans.

I agree
Its 3rd party factory firmware that we endorse here...they fixed some things that the factory software didnt...yet its still legal

The CS5K is a good package. I have two of them and they have been working very well since owning them. The third party software mentioned here fixed a couple of issues. You should be quite pleased with the box. Enjoy.

OK, I got the STB yesterday and hooked it up today. Right out of the box there was no power. The original owner said that he "never got it to work." I wasn't sure what that meant but now I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I grabbed a Phillips screwdriver and opened it up. My eyes went immediately to a loose wire on the power switch. I re-seated the connector and it powered right up. I breathed a sigh of relief. This unit looks brand new so I'm assuming it never worked and this guy gave up. It looks like it has the original software loaded on it.

Model: Coolsat 5000 Platinum
SW Ver. 1 (10-07-05)
HW Ver 1.1
Boot Ver 2.10
CH Ver. E004

I have three questions.

1. Is it OK to jump to the latest version of third party firmware? (CS5000 - 006 - 2009/12/23)

2. Where can I find a software loader?

3. Where can I find a channel editor?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

It is the CS5000 blind scan feature that makes it candy. If only there existed a unit that could blind scan DVB-S2 signals as the CS5000 does DVB-S signals. I picked up mine from an ex-Dishnet user for $20. He only knew auto-scan and could not appreciate the value of the Blind-scan feature in the unit that he was selling to me.

I cant get the loader to work. I'm using a known good cable and a USB to serial adaptor that shows up in device manager just fine. I have selected the correct comm port.

I can open the loader and browse to my file and select it. When I click "connect" another window with a progress bar opens and it says "connect to STB and turn on the power". When I do nothing happens.

Is there an advanced setting for the serial port that I need to set? Here is my current configuration.

Comm 1
Bits per second - 57600
Data bits - 8
Parity - none
Stop bits - 1
flow control - none

It is the CS5000 blind scan feature that makes it candy. If only there existed a unit that could blind scan DVB-S2 signals as the CS5000 does DVB-S signals. I picked up mine from an ex-Dishnet user for $20. He only knew auto-scan and could not appreciate the value of the Blind-scan feature in the unit that he was selling to me.

I have azbox premium plus and vantage pansat 9200 vewsat sonicview captivewors and like my coolsat 5000 I never find one receiver like coolsat 5000the mercedez of all free to air receivers

Two types of serial cables.

I cant get the loader to work. I'm using a known good cable and a USB to serial adaptor that shows up in device manager just fine. I have selected the correct comm port.

I can open the loader and browse to my file and select it. When I click "connect" another window with a progress bar opens and it says "connect to STB and turn on the power". When I do nothing happens.

Is there an advanced setting for the serial port that I need to set? Here is my current configuration.

Comm 1
Bits per second - 57600
Data bits - 8
Parity - none
Stop bits - 1
flow control - none

There are two types of serial port cables: "straight through", and "null modem", AKA "crossover".

I think the Coolsat uses a straight through cable. Are you using the OEM Coolsat cable?

I have had very poor results from USB to serial port adapters, and use a P3 laptop with a real serial port with older receivers and other devices that need a serial port connection for uploading/downloading data.

Hope this helps.

Coolsat 5000's use the cross-over (AKA null) cable.

I now have 2 cs5000's & 1 cs4000. I really like them. If you can do the cband BUD thing, you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the picture quality of the SD feeds.

(My brother-in-law watching an Indians-White Sox game with me actually thought that the SD STO feed was HD!!)

Coolsat 5000's use the cross-over (AKA null) cable.

I now have 2 cs5000's & 1 cs4000. I really like them. If you can do the cband BUD thing, you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the picture quality of the SD feeds.

(My brother-in-law watching an Indians-White Sox game with me actually thought that the SD STO feed was HD!!)
I find that to be amazing and true! It makes me want to upgrade to a 6ft BUD from my 1.2M MiniBud!:)

There are two types of serial port cables: "straight through", and "null modem", AKA "crossover".

I think the Coolsat uses a straight through cable. Are you using the OEM Coolsat cable?

I have had very poor results from USB to serial port adapters, and use a P3 laptop with a real serial port with older receivers and other devices that need a serial port connection for uploading/downloading data.

Hope this helps.

Yes this did help. No, I do not have the OEM CoolSat cable. I was using a cable from a Viewsat which was null modem. I verified with my ohm meter that that pins 2 and 3 were swapped. I have a straight through serial cable but one of the ends was the wrong gender. A quick trip to "The Shack" remedied this with a 9 pin F/F adapter. Anyway, long story short its working now. Its been a while since I have worked with serial communication and I forgot about there being two different types.

Thank you very much. -Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)