Just bought a Coolsat 5000

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Coolsat 5000's use the cross-over (AKA null) cable.

Not mine. I read somewhere that the 4000 uses a null modem cable but the 5000/6000's use a straight through cable. I suppose its possible that some of the early 5000's used the null modem configuration. Now I have both style cables.

My CS6000 uses a straight through serial cable...

...But I wasn't sure about the similar Coolsat 4000 and 5000.

My CS6000 is the best receiver I have found for quick accurate blind scanning and aligning dishes in the field with a small monitor.

The latest aftermarket true FTA software for it has a selectable signal beeper function that is very handy in the field. Just set it up on manual search for the TP you want, carefully set your dish elevation and skew, then slowly move the dish side to side until you get good tone. Fine tune all adjustments from there.

Almost as good as a $$$.$$ digital sat finder, and a whole lot cheaper.

Hi Iceberg
I spent some time today trying to programmed a CS5000 platinum for a friend. This CS5000 has the following firmware:
SW Version NORW-Ver 1.75p
H/W Version 1.10
Boot Version 2.10 09:14
Ch Version E007

I was able to set all the sats. The first problem was at Gal 17 91west trying to enter the CW network. After severals attempts via the installation/PID Scan entering the 3 channels the box never download them. I tried entering 0101,0102 and 0101, also tried 1010, 1020 and 1010 but never couldn't do it. Another problem was with the Fox Movie Channel and the Speed muxes. I was able to download the speed muxes with a very good quality (over 60%) but the box barely open them. I also see this in other channels with good quality.
I had read several post including a link to a 3rd party firmware 20091218 005p, loader v2.4 and a master channels list posted by you. Can you please give me a hand in here??? What do you think about the firmware version and the channels that can't be seeeying in 91W?
Will apreciated all your help or anyone with the expertise!!!
THANKS

I spent some time today trying to programmed a CS5000 platinum for a friend.
This CS5000 has the following firmware:
SW Version NORW-Ver 1.75p
H/W Version 1.10
Boot Version 2.10 09:14
Ch Version E007

I had read several post including a link to a 3rd party firmware 20091218 005p, loader v2.4 and a master channels list posted by you.
What do you think about the firmware version and the channels that can't be seeeying in 91W?
I wouldn't look beyond the fact that it's loaded with hacker ware (NORW).
And would put the recommended firmware on it before proceeding.
How the receiver acts with such code running (or trying to debug it) is of no interest, at least to me! - :rolleyes:

Anole/Ice

:)Thanks a lot for the quick response. Will immediatly go ahead and load the 005p firmware. After that will play around using the EWTV scan method mentioned by Ice to enter the CW's. I guess this is the fast and easy way just to enter the 3 channels. I also guess beginning to learn the channel list process will be a nightmare for him.

Again, thanks to both!!:up

One last thing, I need to know what cable to use to load the new firmware. I have different cables such as S-VGA monitors, Null Cables (came inside the sonicview models) etc?

Last edited:
OK Cw's are no longer any problem. I used iceberg trick scanning the EWTV 3920 and editing the TP to 3720 and it worked perfectly!!!!
Already downloaded the 005p from freehostia. Waiting to see how to deal with the straight through cable to upload the bin to the box. Probably Radio Shack, Compusa may have it??

both have them. Rat Shack has them for like 15 bucks

Ice
just got it for 9 bucks from Rat. Already updated the CS5000 with the 005p firmware. Pretty easy. My biggest problem was to find al old PC with the COM connector on it. Reload the setting, entered the CW with your trick and everything work perefect!!! I just noticed that the CS5000 does a great blind scan but the tuner is a little big poor. There are some channels on Gal17 91w that are over 60% in quality but the box hadly open them. I tried other boxes such as Captive 600, 700 Sonicview SV4000 and even the CS8000HD and they open the channels w/out any problem. I remembered the Viewsat Ulta 2000 was similar downloading the channels with good quality but the channels were unwatchables. Just want to share the expereience, Thanks for all your help!!:up

Ice
just got it for 9 bucks from Rat. Already updated the CS5000 with the 005p firmware. Pretty easy. My biggest problem was to find al old PC with the COM connector on it. Reload the setting, entered the CW with your trick and everything work perefect!!! I just noticed that the CS5000 does a great blind scan but the tuner is a little big poor. There are some channels on Gal17 91w that are over 60% in quality but the box hadly open them. I tried other boxes such as Captive 600, 700 Sonicview SV4000 and even the CS8000HD and they open the channels w/out any problem. I remembered the Viewsat Ulta 2000 was similar downloading the channels with good quality but the channels were unwatchables. Just want to share the expereience, Thanks for all your help!!:up
I know, some of those Channels on 91.0°W C-band can only display video on a coolsat 5k with a 68 to 70% signal quality.

The Coolsat 5000 the threshold is 63 for some reason....when the bars turn green its locked on a signal. Each receiver is different on the meter. The issue I find with the Coolsat is it will show 72-74 for quality and if I plug in my Pansat with the 30 threshold to 99 meter those signals may show 50 or they show 70 yet the CS may show 72 or 73. Coolsat for me isnt the best receiver for aiming a dish.

Some of the stations the FEC is 5/6 versus 3/4 for most....in general terms the higher the FEC (5/6 being higher than 3/4) you need more signal to help reject the errors or crap in the signal. On a 3/4 FEC station minimum stability is 66 or so....if its 5/6 you'll need at least a 70.

On my 6 footer most of the stuff on 91W is between 74 and 82 (82 is the max on my old version 1.00 software)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)