Just bought used receivers...one was actually leased...?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Bought two receivers and two dishes about two months ago.

One was a 322, one was a 301, and got two Dish 500's - one with DPP Pro and one with DP Dual - for $20, not a bad deal.

Found that the 301 is fine - no balance - but the 322 is actually leased and cannot be added to the account - plus has a balance of $131.

Obviously it does me no good - but what about the guy that sold it to me? If it's leased - doesn't he need to give it back to dish? Or because of the balance is it not worth it for him?

I still think a 301 plus two dishes is good for $20, so I don't think I got scammed or anything - heck, the dishes alone are worth it...but what should I do about the receiver with balance?

It is always a good idea when buying off of ebay to get the R00 number from the back of the receiver, and call dish to verify that it isn't a leased box, and that there isn't a balance owed on the box.

Wasn't off ebay - if I buy them there, I always do that.

Got it locally and didn't have internet access at the time to check. Suppose I could have called, but didn't think of it.

Not that it wasn't worth it for what I did get - but just wondering what I do with the 322 now? Throw it out? Try to offer it back to the seller (I'm assuming they might eventually want it)?

Seller didn't want it, that is why the seller sold it to you. Dealers may be able to get the 322 cleared but I do not know at what cost.

If it is a leased box with a balance it is a lose/lose for you. Even if you clear the balance you still don't own the box.

If DISH would like it back from you they should pay the shipping and I would try and get a credit out of them for returning their property in good Samaritan fashion.

If the don't want the box back, I would hold on to it and "sell" it back to the seller when he finds a $300 charge on his CC so he can return it.

If neither happens, I would try the old "what happens to a Dish receiver when dropped from the top of my office building into the parking lot?" experiment. Make sure you record it and post it to you tube.

$20 for the remainder of the equipment is still a good deal.

From what I hear retailers say, they won't give you a dime. Dish Network will NOT tell you who the original owner (not really the owner but you know what I mean) of the receiver was and that may not have even been the seller. If this much time has passed I doubt Dish Network will give him a $300 credit to return it. Heck, I hear people say they charge you for the receivers when they do return them in the time they were supposed to.

Some dealers will purchase these on ebay if they are cheap enough and get them cleared.

I stumbled onto a fellow who bought a warehouse with 12? 722s still in box. The original warehouse owner had died and had been a E dealer.

I suggested the new owner call E and check the ROO numbers.

All boxes showed as leased. Building owner reported E didnt want them back.

Leased is just a accounting tool or E would of sent call tags.

From what I hear retailers say, they won't give you a dime. Dish Network will NOT tell you who the original owner (not really the owner but you know what I mean) of the receiver was and that may not have even been the seller. If this much time has passed I doubt Dish Network will give him a $300 credit to return it. Heck, I hear people say they charge you for the receivers when they do return them in the time they were supposed to.

Some dealers will purchase these on ebay if they are cheap enough and get them cleared.

Heck, if Dish wants it back for the cost of shipping that's fine with me...does me no good. Either that or I'll keep it around for parts and stuff.

I would think that Dish Network would ship prepaid box to you to get their receiver back and not expect someone to have to pay the shipping themselves. I do not know how they handle that.

Hey, if they won't give him a prepaid shipping box, fine. They are not going to charge him for that box, he didn't lease it. He just bought it. The person who leased it on the other hand.....

Exactly - it's not my box, they're not going to charge me for it. I could care less about what happens to it, but if Dish wants it back they can gladly have it - but I'm not paying shipping for them to get it back.

Exactly - it's not my box, they're not going to charge me for it. I could care less about what happens to it, but if Dish wants it back they can gladly have it - but I'm not paying shipping for them to get it back.

Do they know who you are?

they should really send free call tags, to get their property back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)