"Just change the hardrive in the DVR."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bear Paws

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
NE connecticut
I 'm been thinking of switching to Direct from Dish. One reason is so my wife can have YES, to counter balance my NESN BO Sox. And I can have Fox Business in HD. In anything actually.

So I called Directstartv..1-866-831-8086..on a internet ad. They are their #1 marketers for D*. To find out a few things. I asked [her] if I can hook a external hard drive to their top line HD DVR for more archiving. She said no but you can down load it to a computer through the USB and then load into a External. I said that was not acceptable.

She then said, "well OK then just swap out the hard drive on the DVR for a larger one"......... The silence was me climbing back onto my chair.....I said you allow that? She said "sure". What does it do to the warranty, I asked? "Well it voids the manufacturer's but Direct will still stand behind it if you have the $5mo. protection plan which also covers yadi yadi ...." I said I never even imagined that was acceptable. She said "if you want I can confirm that with a supervisor?" I said go for it. She came back a few minutes later and said "Yes, its fine, just like I told you. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, any computer store or shop can do it for you".
So there you have it folks. I may be a D* kind of guy real soon. With a :cool: 1TB DVR,..:D

1st of all you can add an external hard drive like E through a sata port at the rear of the DVR and 2nd the changing of the internal hard drive i think would be a problem with direct. i don't like going to these retailers. maybe you should have called D directly at 1800 directv . you could change the internal drive. it is simple but someone correct me if i'm wrong, again i don't think D would like that too much.

On some models, removing the internal drive isn't all that easy; on others it is trivial. Since the DVRs are leased, it would be a violation of the terms of service to exchange them. The eSATA solution is a better choice (although it would be nice if it added to the capacity of the internal drive rather than replaced it).

On some models, removing the internal drive isn't all that easy; on others it is trivial. Since the DVRs are leased, it would be a violation of the terms of service to exchange them. The eSATA solution is a better choice (although it would be nice if it added to the capacity of the internal drive rather than replaced it).

so i'm guessing companies like weaKness are authorized by D to make this change right?

Ya, I can see what D8 says when you have to return it for one reason or another with a different HD than what came with it.
I bet the would be thrilled ...

Jimbo

1st I would go to Direct directly.
2nd I didn't believe her. I got the feeling she would have said it spits 5 dollar bills if she thought it would get me to sign up.
3rd Nowhere in the Direct home pages does it say ANYTHING about external hardware. So I figured I would call a number that popped up and ask.

So Dfergi et al... your saying its not like Dish in that its a extension but rather its in place of the DVR drive. OK. eSTAT? that really fast? Well faster rate than USB. Right? My computer skills are at early cave man levels.

No way no how is there a Dish type set up. She did say there was a USB port.

Oh, You got to hear this.... Early on I asked what the interface was between the computer and DVR to archive or transfer.. After a moments hesitation I added "you know the cable connection" she told me that the interface between the computer and DVR to archive was HDMI. I knew I had a live one right then and there. So I said I didn't think most computers had HDMI ports. I suggested a USB maybe . "Oh, sorry,.. thats it, USB."

Dang, here I thought I was gunna have me a monster 1TB DVR...;)

I still have question that the D* site doesn't answer.. Like OTA F connections I don't see on the HR21. It took a bit of digging in the manual sections just to get a picture of the back panel. I read somewhere here in one of the threads about a HR21A?21 for OTA direct into the DVR. No mention of that anywhere in D* site.

Any how. Thanks for the info... I'm going home (to the other :cool: place:)) now.. I'll be back..

I still have question that the D* site doesn't answer.. Like OTA F connections I don't see on the HR21. It took a bit of digging in the manual sections just to get a picture of the back panel. I read somewhere here in one of the threads about a HR21A?21 for OTA direct into the DVR. No mention of that anywhere in D* site.

Any how. Thanks for the info... I'm going home (to the other :cool: place:)) now.. I'll be back..

The HR21 doesn't have an OTA tuner. You have to buy a separate add on for it.

The HR21 requires the AM21 which connects via USB to the HR21 and allows for watching/recording OTA and integration of the OTA in the channel guide. They sell for $50 each, but you might be able to get D* to throw one in for no charge when you sign up.

The HR21 requires the AM21 which connects via USB to the HR21 and allows for watching/recording OTA and integration of the OTA in the channel guide. They sell for $50 each, but you might be able to get D* to throw one in for no charge when you sign up.
Thank you...
Where can I find a link or a decent explanation about adding and operation of a external Drive with Direct..? I find D* a lot less informative than Dish. Unless I just can't find it...

If I archive what I have on my Dish 622 into a EHD through the USB I will never be able to see that again if I switch to Direct. Right? Even if I hook it up with STATA It will reformat the drive and erase everything ? Yes??? Say No:).

Thank you...
Where can I find a link or a decent explanation about adding and operation of a external Drive with Direct..? I find D* a lot less informative than Dish. Unless I just can't find it...

If I archive what I have on my Dish 622 into a EHD through the USB I will never be able to see that again if I switch to Direct. Right? Even if I hook it up with STATA It will reformat the drive and erase everything ? Yes??? Say No:).

Yes, you'll not be able to watch the content you recorded on E* by switch the drive over, sorry.

For eSATA info here's a couple good threads:
eSATA - Has been enabled, but.... - DBSTalk.Com
Working eSata Setups: - DBSTalk.Com

Yes, you'll not be able to watch the content you recorded on E* by switch the drive over, sorry.

For eSATA info here's a couple good threads:
eSATA - Has been enabled, but.... - DBSTalk.Com
Working eSata Setups: - DBSTalk.Com
Thank you ..very fine..
134.gif

Way over my head but maybe I can muddle through it and come up with a combination that will work with out fizz wapping something.
My concern is not so much the sort of plug and play nature which seems to be the case, but rather if something fails to work or croaks.

Gotta give Dish credit for making this feature simpler for simple fools.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

So Dfergi et al... your saying its not like Dish in that its a extension but rather its in place of the DVR drive. OK. eSTAT? that really fast? Well faster rate than USB. Right? My computer skills are at early cave man levels.

Yes it takes the place of the internal drive... you power down and plug in the ESATA drive plug the receiver back in and then do a menu reset... when you do this you will have to reset any timers and repopulate your Favorites...

Status
Please reply by conversation.