Just curious, is “moving” legal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You're presuming that all Dish subscribers have Hoppers and/or OTA adapters? You do know that Dish subscribers are not the entire TV market, don't you? And what does commercial skipping have to do with "moving" anyway? I can skip commercials no matter what market I'm in and no matter how I''m receiving that market. I expect ratings services take some factor into account for presumed viewer skipping, but in any event, retransmission rate demands from locals have risen much faster than advertising rates, making them the major source of income for most stations.
Im assuming we are talking about the hopper....however...a tivo...that could possibly be connected to the internet..also collects info...its a conspiracy...big brother has total control..except for ma and pa kettle watching their 400 pound sony tv..thats connected to an antenna

All joking aside, we have to assume every TV provider that can utilize data mining will utilize data mining. Heck, I work for a non-profit and even we track the number of customer email opens, clicks, repeat views, etc. It would be silly to imagine Dish and other providers do not monitor your viewing behavior. My guess would be there is a line item in the T&C you sign when you start service that authorizes them to do this.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Im assuming we are talking about the hopper....however...a tivo...that could possibly be connected to the internet..also collects info...its a conspiracy...big brother has total control..except for ma and pa kettle watching their 400 pound sony tv..thats connected to an antenna
The number of posts on here about non-Hopper receivers is more than enough evidence that the viewing habits reported by the Hopper are far from accurate for the entirety of Dish subscribers. Is there enough data for the stations to extrapolate the likely number of folks skipping commercials? Probably. And I expect advertising rates reflect that factor, so what is your point regarding "moving"?

All joking aside, we have to assume every TV provider that can utilize data mining will utilize data mining. Heck, I work for a non-profit and even we track the number of customer email opens, clicks, repeat views, etc. It would be silly to imagine Dish and other providers do not monitor your viewing behavior. My guess would be there is a line item in the T&C you sign when you start service that authorizes them to do this.
Of course they monitor our viewing habits as best they can. The fact still remains though, there is no accurate way to know which commercials are actually watched by how many people. They can make certain assumptions from the available data and probability factors, but even the accuracy of those calculations are suspect depending on the assumptions used.

The fact still remains though, there is no accurate way to know which commercials are actually watched by how many people.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. Take Spectrum Reach, for example. They can quantify the number of ad views on TV Anywhere apps and are marketed as such. They is no way to FF or skip ads on that platform.

The number of posts on here about non-Hopper receivers is more than enough evidence that the viewing habits reported by the Hopper are far from accurate for the entirety of Dish subscribers. Is there enough data for the stations to extrapolate the likely number of folks skipping commercials? Probably. And I expect advertising rates reflect that factor, so what is your point regarding "moving"?
Hello
Stations are against moving because of advertising and lost sub fees

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. Take Spectrum Reach, for example. They can quantify the number of ad views on TV Anywhere apps and are marketed as such. They is no way to FF or skip ads on that platform.
How do they account for the commercials you miss while you go make that grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich? Is there a body count sensor on their STB's? ;)

True, but OP is not paying for the service he/she is receiving. That's like saying "I bought a ticket to a high school football game, so I'm entitled to sneak in to see the Vikings on Sunday".

If OP is paying for Rochester locals and receiving Minneapolis locals through deception...............well, like I said, it's a stretch. OP asked a legitimate question, I showed him the penal code for his State. He/she can make up their own mind.
More like I bought a ticket to one high school football game, so I'm entitled to sneak into a different high school game. Not nearly as bad. I think this is more a question of personal ethics.

Reactions: Juan
Well... It's actually good if you don't grill it!

gross dumb and dumber GIF

• Haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)